Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Krautrock Space

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 64>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 16:27
^That one is news to me Keishiro. Sounds pretty sweetBig smile

Anyone out there feel the urge to break out the more electronically minded Krautrock, whenever summer turns on the the heat? I swear, each time the weather breaks out in full sun tan mode, like today actually, I get an overhanging craving for electronic music. Just listened to the Kluster this morning and it was absolutely heaven. Then jumped on the bike with Siinai's recent Olympic Games and it was a brilliant ride with loads of synths worming their way into my brain.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 16:42
Wen die Sun shine brightly, Ich gelisten to mein favorite Krautrock PartieMensch, Heinrich Buffett, und ehr albumen "Chisbaerger im Paradeis"
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 16:51
LOL
I just pictured you as one of the characters from that Allo Allo show...

BTW Steve - seeing as you enjoy Krautrock on occasion, but also listen to a fair amount of avant-garde music. Why not mix the two and get some Ultralyd? New(ish) Norwegian band that mix strange fusion with iron like textures. Sounds pretty teutonic and gruesome, but I personally like it very much.

Oh and do you know Igor Wakhevitch? Maybe not Krautrock, but the way he mixed Zeuhl, avant, electronic and psych does make me question if he didn't on occasion cross into the genre. Anyway he should be right up your alley methinks. In fact I'd bet money on itBig smile

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 17:10
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Anyone out there feel the urge to break out the more electronically minded Krautrock, whenever summer turns on the the heat? I swear, each time the weather breaks out in full sun tan mode, like today actually, I get an overhanging craving for electronic music. Just listened to the Kluster this morning and it was absolutely heaven. Then jumped on the bike with Siinai's recent Olympic Games and it was a brilliant ride with loads of synths worming their way into my brain.

I'm the opposite really. When it gets really hot I want some simiilar music. Jammy, rippin' guitar, heavy drumming, explosions of sounds, etc. Kinda like being in a small sweaty cramped over heated room just jamming away for hours on end.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 17:17
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I'm the opposite really. When it gets really hot I want some simiilar music. Jammy, rippin' guitar, heavy drumming, explosions of sounds, etc. Kinda like being in a small sweaty cramped over heated room just jamming away for hours on end.

Hey man I really like that stuff too - but then if it's infused with some sneaky electronics, I'm on cloud 9. Just like the album I just finished actually by Igor Wakhevitch.

- Douglas Adams
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 17:21
Oh yeah. The combination is perfect for me as well.

I'd like to get more by Wakhevitch but it doesmt seem all too available. I have Doctour Faust and its excellent.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 17:22

LOL

BTW Steve - seeing as you enjoy Krautrock on occasion, but also listen to a fair amount of avant-garde music. Why not mix the two and get some Ultralyd? New(ish) Norwegian band that mix strange fusion with iron like textures. Sounds pretty teutonic and gruesome, but I personally like it very much.

A great suggestion. Their lastest album was a wonderful surprise to my ears.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 17:29
I have yet to hear that one actually - Inertiadrome or something like that eh? Have the 3 first albums, and they are all pretty sweet in each their own way.

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 18:17
I'll definitely be checking Ultralyd and Igor out at the next opportunity.  I'm still on my Battiato kick, so you definitely have a pretty good idea of what I like by now.  Not really related to any style(s), but some intangible something that I relate to.  Music that gets you subconsciously.  You wrote in one of your reviews about staring at the garden floor, seeing things scurrying around and just getting lost in that.  That's the kind of thing I mean.  I must be a loony.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 19:17

I have yet to hear that one actually - Inertiadrome or something like that eh? Have the 3 first albums, and they are all pretty sweet in each their own way.

Yes I believe thats it. It's definitely my favorite of theirs (I have all but their first).
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 20:04
When it heats up I like to crank Agitation Free, Brainticket and especially Future Days, on which you can practically hear the sweat.  Awesome.
The Wrinkler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Wrinkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2012 at 00:51
^ Just in time for Summer Thumbs Up
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 10:12
What do you guys think of Achim Reichel and Machines?  Don't recall seeing him/them mentioned here, but I was just putting this on and thought it fit here.   I'm not head over heels in love with the group, but they are pretty good.

-Kehlog Albran
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apsalar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 23:24
Not a huge fan of the album you posted (Echo) but I think their first, Die grüne Reise, is brilliant; a perfect blend between harder rock and experimental sounds.

DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 01:37
A. R. & Machines' sample "Beautiful Babylon" is here. Thumbs Up

And my humble review for "Die Grune Reise" (awesome one indeed) is hereEmbarrassedLOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 08:50
Hey Steve!
A bit late here, but I am a massive fan of A. R. & Machines. Love that first one - and have up to their Autovision, which I also really dig.

I just gave in and posted a review for Future Days, - even if it didn't need another one...
Got me to thinking about this live performance, which obviously lacks Damo - still displays a band unwilling to throw in the towel - and they sound amazing!
Watch out for Irmin Schmidt though - he is suddenly this sexy leathery beastLOL

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 08:24
re: A.R. Machines -- I kind of like "Die Grune Reise" too, probably better than the Echo album in fact.

re: live Can. It used to bother me how their live versions rarely resembled the studio versions, and were basically jams.  But eventually I came to appreciate them more, when I realized that their studio creations are mostly improvisations too, just more artfully edited and mixed.

Here's another CD in my collection that I picked up in the store on a whim one day, knowing nothing about the band, and haven't really heard anything about them since either.  Curious to know what anyone here thinks about these guys, or what their background is.  It's early 70s German, probably more psych than strictly Krautrock, but as we've demonstrated in this thread, Krautrock is more than just Can and Neu and Amon Duul.

Sahara - "Marie Celeste", opening track from "Sunrise".  This is a great song.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 08:35
^Hey I've got that album as well Steve!

What struck me first about this track is the overwhelming heaviness of the start. At first I thought I had purchased the wrong cdLOL But yeah great track and great album. I really like the long cut that on occasion dips its toes in prog electronic.
Their other records are worth purchasing as well. The first one was made under a different name if I remember correctly, Subject ESQ, but is as far as the reviews go pretty darn sweet. I only have the one you have - as well as the following For All the Clowns, which is highly recommended. I really dig it.

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 08:45
Thanks.  I was reminded of it recently while re-organizing my CD collection, and it occurred to me that I never hear anyone talking about these guys.  Listening to the 27-minute (!)  title track right now, it's a nice trip.

Edited by HolyMoly - June 06 2012 at 08:46

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 09:22
I have just put it on as well. I am thinking review-time in the near future, because like you said, you don't hear about them anywhere - not even on here...
Thanks for the reminder Steve, I am really digging this album

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 64>