Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy Personal ProgArchives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Personal ProgArchives
    Posted: May 12 2004 at 08:00

I don't know how difficult this would be to implement, but this idea is rather a collection of ideas that make up my "grand plan".

Put simply, the "big" idea is to have something in the profile that allows members to filter the forums so that only the forums they are interested in are visible, thus creating a personalised view of Progarchives - to use Microsoft speak, a "MyProgArchives".

This way it may become desirable to add more forums with different subject areas, the downside to which is that more forums means more time spent moderating, and I'm sure maani has enough to do! However, this particular idea seems to have generated some member support recently.

As a potential solution, maybe a "Red Flag" button could be added so that if a member thought a posting was inappropriate, then it would instantly appear on a list that the moderator could use to quickly diagnose the issue. Obviously a Red Flag button would carry the same temptations as the emergency stop chord on a train, so use could be restricted to a pre-decided member group, or, taken to its logical conclusion, "trusted" members could have a subset of moderator "powers" (Lock thread, Move thread, etc.).

That's got the ball rolling - I probably haven't made it clear, or thought it all the way through, having just "splurged" the ideas from the top of my head, but I hope this is useful!

Edited by Certif1ed
Velvetclown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2004 at 08:12
Perhaps we could arrange so that people who writes naughty things will instantly recieve an electric shock from their keyboards, not enough to kill them, just to make them sit up and take notice. ?
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2004 at 18:40
Shocked Now now, Velvet, you know full well that I type with my feet, and I need those to walk, ballroom dance, and kick lame puppies with! Angry
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2004 at 20:11

I understand your idea Certif1ed

I will do some research about his ...

THANKS

Prog On !
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2004 at 03:08

Velvet - I get where you're coming from, but the idea of a "Red Flag" button isn't to enable members to censor each other, rather a quick way of letting the Admins know exactly where a problem post might be - which gives the Admins a better chance of finding and dealing with inappropriate posts, which they would do in exactly the same relaxed manner they do right now!! Nothing would change, except the Admins life could get easier.

We've got a superlative example right now!!

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=735&am p;PN=1&TPN=5&FID=3&PR=3

Presumably we don't want to silence this person - but I find the language inflammatory (which says quite a lot, as I'm a Billy Connolly fan, have read "Ulysses" and am really keen on the Small Faces' "Ogden's Nut Gone"), and it  shows little respect for people on this forum who may not understand (most of us, I would think...). However, because we do not want censorship with a big stick, it looks like someone has to contact this person and somehow request that they communicate a little less aggressively and a bit more clearly...

I think the difficulties involved in doing that speak for themselves.

...or do you think we should just leave "him" alone and the whole of Progarchives be the silenced ones? There's possibly nothing wrong with doing that, as sometimes strong silence can say more than a reprimand, however carefully worded.

Velvetclown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2004 at 14:24

You type with your feet Peter........Hmmm that explains alot  

Certif1ed : IŽd go for the " Silence " just ignore " IT " 

Edited by Velvetclown
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2004 at 14:48
You can just AVOID the topics you don't want to see, can't you? I don't see the problem here. I loooove this forum!
 Post Reply Post Reply