Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Obscure" Pink Floyd songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Poll Question: Which is your favorite "obscure" Pink Floyd song?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
26 [22.22%]
20 [17.09%]
14 [11.97%]
14 [11.97%]
5 [4.27%]
18 [15.38%]
20 [17.09%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The Wrinkler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Obscure" Pink Floyd songs
    Posted: March 17 2011 at 15:45
Ok, maybe to most of you, these songs are not "obscure." I picked a favorite song from each album, from Pipers to Meddle. I thought it would be a fun poll, without talking about Darkside and up. And if none of these songs appeal to you, choose other, and tell me the song. But only from Pipers to Meddle please Smile
The Sleepwalker View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 15:48
My favorite pre-dark side Floyd would probably be the brilliant Embryo, which didn't make it on Meddle but can be found on quite some bootlegs. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 15:55
Other - I've got Set The controls.... from Live At Pompeii on now - brilliant. Before that, Careful With That Axe Eugene. Again, pure class.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 16:12
I thought these songs were going to be the options...

Never released with Nick Mason on lead vocals:

Never released but widely known:

Played live but never given a proper studio recording; a demo showed up on compilations:

drziltox View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 16:14
i'd have to say its a toss up between a pillow of winds off of meddle, and maybe all of animals, though not necessarily obscure, but animals, especially dogs, was one of my albums of choice when beginning a night of excursions on psychedelic drugs, dogs was just the right song to blast off with, and maybe i dont think you could be aware of this dimension unless you had listened to it and the rest of animals on psychedelicsCool, or at least some cannabis of some sort
DrZiltox
m2thek View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 16:39
I thought this was going to be a clever poll for Obscured by Clouds. Oh well.

I've always really liked Let There Be More Light
dedokras View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 17:19
Astronomy, Let There Be More Light and Cymbaline - all winners, can't really choose one so I'll add instead - Corporal Clegg, Narrow Way pt3, Eugene, Summer 68, Pillow of Winds and most of the Piper - brilliant stuff 
http://mlyk.bandcamp.com/
juandhaltrich View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 17:45
from this set of songs, let there be more light.......  but my favourite song before '73 from PF is definitely Echoes, and one of my favourite PF song of all times.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 17:58
If it has to be obscure I'd say Julia Dream. Those in the list are too good to choose one, just Wot's Oh The Deal is a little step beyond
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 18:04
Hi,

There was a single ... Point Me At the Sky ... or something like that ... the other ones I love dearly are Pow'r'Toch and Lucifer Sam ... but I think all 3 of these are a bit too obtuse for most folks here!

The album "Obscured by Clouds" is really just a bunch of songs and they don't make any more sense the way they are used in the film "La Vallee" ...  and I am not sure that the songs were written exclusively for each part or scene, since only one or two of them actually fit the film itself.

The film is a sort of Royal Shakespeare Company meets the French Academy kind of thing for acting and actors, with a massive mix that is rather unusual. In the end, the inclusion of the Magupa Tribe is rather unusual ... and it comes off as just another stone'y sequence ... but it was in keeping with the theaterical experiments and weirdness around the time, specially the likes of Peter Brook , Peter Hall that were just about busting London theater in color and costume and then some!

"...  Along the way through the dense jungles of Papua New Guinea and on the peak of Mount Gilowe, she and the small group of explorers make contact with the Mapuga tribe, one of the most isolated groups of human beings on earth, who inspire them to explore their own humanity, unfettered by their own subjective ideas of "civilization." The search becomes a search for a paradise said to exist within a valley marked as "obscured by clouds" on the maps. The film ends with their arrival at the valley, having endured much travail in the journey. ..." (From Wiki)

After what some folks in PF think is not a good film, but is a great concert film (Live in Pompeii), and another Barbet Schroeder experiment (More) -- which had a much better use of Pink Floyd's music ... the girl had all the music on the cassette player and she merely turned on the cassette player to trip off with the music, and it was nicely done, although the music then does not come off (Hollywood style) as important to the audience as it is to the person in the film! I think that Pink Floyd decided to make "their own film" ... and Dark Side of the Moon became that film ... and later they really blew it out with The Wall.

There was another film in the middle there, but Roger had problems talking to Anonioni, and the American Producers didn't like Pink Floyd that much, but it left the most memorable moment on the film in your mind, if you were not simply looking at the nekkid hoochies in the film! The rest ofthe film is totally screwed up and I wish that Antonioni had done a 2nd version of that film his way!

PF also had been involved in film before ... and they can be seen in at least two other films, even if in one of them it was just a taped sequence ... 1st was "Tonite We All Love in London" where you can see Syd Barrett playing the guitar. and the other is a Dutch Film called "Stamping Ground" and the PF piecein there was a filmed sequence that I am not sure was a part of the concert, but it is very Hipgnosis like dreamy weirdness inside bubbles. We never see the band if I remember correctly.

Edited by moshkito - March 17 2011 at 19:01
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 18:17
choose cymbaline , it's such a great song but i could choose any other ones in that list ,fearless , fat old sun , what's the deal ,all are fantastic ,and what about embryo? and summer68? or julia dream? realy love the old floyd

Edited by jean-marie - March 17 2011 at 18:17
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 18:20
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

There was a single ... Point Me At the Sky ... or something like that ... the other ones I love dearly are Pow'r'Toch and Lucifer Sam ... but I think all 3 of these are a bit too obtuse for most folks here!
   love those 3 onesWink
Run Home Slow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 19:52
No hesitation, Astronomy Domine! a blast!
If you got ears, you gotta listen — Captain Beefheart
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 19:56
I gravitated towards Fearless this time.

One of my all time favorite Floyd tracks.
fuzzyscot View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 20:21
wold have to say embryo or point me at the sky .
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 21:50
Point Me At The Sky Is Great but I've never heard it in convincing quality.

I have the impression it was a botched effort technically (mono, muddy and never digitally remastered), but it is certainly interesting.

I don't think any album track by Floyd is that obscure, however, Obscured By Clouds title track is much liked, as is Childhood's End from that album.

Ultimately, if you want to widen the spectrum, I feel that Richard Wrights project Zee: Identity is a very interesting effort, and the lead track Confusion would be my candidate as most obscure Floyd related track that is great.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2011 at 00:31
From this list, I'm between Astronomy Domine and Let there be More Light, I really love both. But there are many other songs I really like from the period, like Julia dream, Careful with that Axe Eugene (Ummagumma version), the final part of Saucerful of secrets (Ummagumma version), Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sum (Pompeii version), Embryo (though I'd still like to get good sounding recording of this, apart from the studio version from Works) and well, of course, Atom Heart Mother, Echoes, One of these days. And many others.
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2011 at 01:26
Fat old sun for me - love it!
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
The Wrinkler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2011 at 01:33
I'm sorry if the title was misleading to some, hence the " ." And I like many of the early singles too, like Point me at the Sky and Julia Dreams, I just kind of narrowed it down to one song from each album. Confused But thanks to the people that voted for something on the list, and of their own.
Gandalff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2011 at 01:35
It must to be Astronomy Domine.
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!