Topic ClosedSo... explain the whole "cape" thing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 07:02
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

All I can say is thank god Emerson never got dressed up as an armadillo for Tarkus,
rilly?

this jacket was a "tarkus":

(I know it's a plastic model, but he did wear the jacket, I just can't find a good pic of it on the webs)
What?
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 07:22

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 07:28
So, Reg is Prog now?
What?
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 07:32

Wakeman's cape was more about the glitz than the show, although as the story goes it was really an effort to reduce the awkward look of him playing.

I am also convinced it made him feel great. Not just a wizard, but the High Priest of Prog! All together now:

Eager to save
all those who came his way
he must stay
he must fight
the Black Knight!
the Black Kni-i-i-ght!

(All accompanied on regal grand piano and followed by a glitzy solo on a siren-like Moog)
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 07:40
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

All I can say is thank god Emerson never got dressed up as an armadillo for Tarkus,
rilly?

this jacket was a "tarkus":

(I know it's a plastic model, but he did wear the jacket, I just can't find a good pic of it on the webs)

Ok, but it's pretty subtle compared to most. Just a texture. Now imagine if he had gone the Gabriel way and had a snout appliance.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 11:20

All I can say is thank god Emerson never got dressed up as an armadillo for Tarkus, or Lake put on a space suit for Karn Evil 9. They get enough kicks on just their music. So Keith's brief stint in the sequin laden outfits were just enough of an almost not quite good thing.

Keith didn't used capes or costumes (well, his outfit in Pictures at an Exhibition is almost a costume),, but he didn't relied exclusively in his music.

He stabbed organs and entered in flying pianos...All was part of showbiz.

When Genesis started, they had the most boring show (except for the music), Peter standing in 1 square meter doing  nothing (sometimes sung with the arms crossed), Mike was playing behind the speakers so no one could see him, Tony didn't even looked at the public, Steve, well, sitting with his face in the guitar and the only possible second frontman (Phil) was in his drum kit.

Their lyrics were important, but people hardly understood them, so they required to do something to survive

Instead of glitter, Peter went for  costumes and stories related to the songs, only then they became popular.

No matter how good the music is, you always need some show or costume, is part of the business.

Iván

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 11:55
Well, as I previous said, he did use a cape for the Cobo Hall concert encore,and his glitter outfit would most likely be considered a costume.

But I do agree, musicians/bands for the most part benefit from 'staging'. I spent 6 years as the sound man for  BUSKER,  two piece symphonic band from here in Canada. As you can imagine, with a keyboard player sitting behind a bank of keyboards playing bass pedals and a drummer buried behind a huge (for the time) kit. it was very important to present a show along with the music to keep the audience entertained. For two guys we had two trucks. The staging included a 48" mirror ball, a blacklight glowing hand painted mirror letter sign complete with marquee chaser lights, smoke machine, flash pots, strobe lights, 16mm film and slide shows as well a the only true quad system to be used by a bar band at the time. There was plenty to keep the audience engagde. But they also did costumes. The drummer would dress up in a 30's bathing suit and skateboard around the clubs as The Surf King while the keyboard player made wave sounds on his ARP 2600. They also had a few novelty pieces where the drummer would dress as a penguin (The Funky Penguin) or sometimes I would wear a gorilla costume for Gerbert the Gorilla.

For the most part this was a necessary evil to keep the audience amused. Bar patrons are not always that attentive to the bands so subtly is not the best course of action.

Knives, flying pianos or flying pigs for that matter help create a sense of value to the paying customer who expects to be wow'd at every show.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 18:05

Knives, flying pianos or flying pigs for that matter help create a sense of value to the paying customer who expects to be wow'd at every show.

JD ... we goona have to have you update this and make it your tagline ... Must add things like ... samurai swords (Sadistic Mika Band) (I've never seen this though even in a picture ... probably because one of them got hurt! ... hahaha!) ,,,  castanets and high heels from Carmen ... of course, the old Grateful Dead gigs had joints flying around to and from the stage -- it was part of their friendliness that Phish doesn't have!

Not sure about the "value" ... and I would prefer to say that ... it GETS your attention. And I think that it was in LA that the Sports Arena (or Anaheim Stadium -- can't remember) flew a pig everyday for like 3 days before the concert just to get people going ... what is that? ... and of course, KMET and KLOS sukked all over it!

Anything to sell ... and nowadays nudity and suggestive nudity seems to do just as good or better than a pink pig!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 20:07
When in doubt with regard to these sorts of issues, always remember, Zappa knew all:

She put a Doobie Brothers tape on
(La la la la la-ahh la)
I had a Roger Daltrey cape on
(A Roger Daltrey cape on)
There was a bed I dumped her shape on
Can't remember what became of me . . .
Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy

Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 20:24
I'll take that under advisement.

And by value I mean if you went to see ELP and Keith didn't perform coitus with cutlery on his organ (there's an image for you) you might feel that you got a bit ripped off. There's an expectation of 'show' with most concerts these days, especially considering ticket prices.

But to put a final point to this line of discussion, when I was doing sound for BUSKER we played at a college in Chatham. A week or so later a copy of the school paper arrived with a review of the show. Now remember, this is a two piece band who, if you couldn't see them, sounded like 4 or 5 guys (no tapes or sequencing) and played everything from original tunes to ELP, Santana or Stevie Wonder. But the majority of the article revolved around the stage and light show. Barely a mention of the musical talent. The keyboard player and I had lots of discussion on the state of audiences after that one I can tell you.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 22:09
when you have lot's of BIG ego's on a stage competing for attention like Yes did ---there's nothing like a big shiny gold cape that says--look at me---this was the showman that would bring you King Arthur on ice---I liked the cape---and I sorta liked Moraz's big shirt sleeves too 
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2011 at 06:03
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

when you have lot's of BIG ego's on a stage competing for attention like Yes did ---there's nothing like a big shiny gold cape that says--look at me---this was the showman that would bring you King Arthur on ice---I liked the cape---and I sorta liked Moraz's big shirt sleeves too 

Now this is where we disagree! I love Moraz's playing on RELAYER and I'll never forgive the band for kicking him out (after RELAYER, GFTE has always seemed a terrible disappointment) but Moraz's sleeves, the way he contorts himself behind his keyboards (as can be seen on the LIVE AT QPR DVDs), and worst of all, that awful "poodle" haircut... No, VISUALLY speaking, Rick used to beat him every time, at least until he started wearing silly embroidered waistcoats on the GFTO tour...

Edited by fuxi - March 22 2011 at 06:03
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2011 at 07:34
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Now this is where we disagree! I love Moraz's playing on RELAYER and I'll never forgive the band for kicking him out (after RELAYER, GFTE has always seemed a terrible disappointment) but Moraz's sleeves, the way he contorts himself behind his keyboards (as can be seen on the LIVE AT QPR DVDs), and worst of all, that awful "poodle" haircut... No, VISUALLY speaking, Rick used to beat him every time, at least until he started wearing silly embroidered waistcoats on the GFTO tour...
I agree with you---Rick beats Patrick---and i also agree they should never have kicked him out (although Rick does a decent job on GFTO--even if some of his bits are Patricks ideas) ----Patrick (I saw him as many times live with Yes as there were tours) used to bounce around on stage to draw attention to himself rather than using his costume.
crickleymal View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2011 at 08:13
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

^ Are you on some sort of cape crusade? Tongue

<fx> slap </fx>

Rusted and ropy.
Dog-eared old copy.
Vintage and classic,
or just plain Jurassic:
all words to describe me.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2011 at 08:19
You forgot the rock n roll excesses of monster rock such as

LORDI

GWAR

SLIPKNOT

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2011 at 08:23
Besides........... NO Capes!

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2011 at 15:42
I don't mind the show and it can be fun and it may give a certain identity to the musician, but being also a jazz-rock-fusion fan I couldn't care less about it, most jazz-rock musicians just play with their daily jeans and T-shirt on, no fancy lighting or video screens, no show needed to keep the public's attention. I don't need it either, good music is more than enough. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 09:05
Wakeman though came from the 70s and it was all glitz and glamour so his cape was only in response to the latest glam fad. Heaps of artists wore capes,
Steve Priest of Sweet,
Gary Glitter,
Elton John,
Brian May,
Slade
Kiss

It was the 70s thing
nobody questioned it
the same as wearing platform boots 
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 11:54
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Wakeman though came from the 70s and it was all glitz and glamour so his cape was only in response to the latest glam fad. Heaps of artists wore capes,
Steve Priest of Sweet,

Gary Glitter,

Elton John,

Brian May,

Slade

Kiss

It was the 70s thing

nobody questioned it

the same as wearing platform boots 

This is very true, and I must congratulate you on your new avatar (Lieutenant Gay Ellis, if I remember it right!), which I noticed for the first time today, and which nicely coincides with prog's heyday! (Having said that, I watched each episode of the wonderfully dressy "UFO" long before I was a progger...)
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 11:54
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I don't mind the show and it can be fun and it may give a certain identity to the musician, but being also a jazz-rock-fusion fan I couldn't care less about it, most jazz-rock musicians just play with their daily jeans and T-shirt on, no fancy lighting or video screens, no show needed to keep the public's attention. I don't need it either, good music is more than enough. 

This is true too. BILL BRUFORD never wore a cape!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>