Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReforming the PA database in democratic manner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reforming the PA database in democratic manner
    Posted: March 20 2011 at 19:55
These couple of days are very agitating for me, an infernal Japanese disaster included. Cry

Sigh ... putting myself together. Smile

First of all, thanks to mates who have discussed with me. Big smile

I'm much concerned with the past, the present, and the future of Progarchives ... the way of artist evaluation and inclusion, the bulky database currently expanding day after day (including some "problematic" inclusion cases in the distant past PA foundered with confusing), and democratic manner in future. Ermm

And one of the most concerning issues is the database - as-it-is-said the holy ground, currently where nobody can reform or improve "drastically", some discussable issues or material existed though. Geek

Well, please let me propose, that we should discuss this massive database together, for absolute & ultimate improvement. That is, to reevaluate, reform, revise, readjust the database ... for shaping more ultimate (the most ultimate,if possible) one. Wink

Each subgenre (including Proto, Prog-Related) may have some unknown, unconvincing, tough cases I guess, and we all Collaborators and members can discuss, reconsider, and in some cases remove the cases or data ... in accordance with our sincere and serious opinion and certain democratic manner. Approve

Thoughts? Thumbs Up
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 20:41
There are a few cases where apparently nobody thinks they should be there, and those should go, killing reviews doesn't really matter. PM a copy to them, they can post it on Amazon or something. Or transfer them to MMA, since the ones I am talking about are all metal anyway.

Otherwise, I'm not really sure what reforming the PA database in a democratic manner actually means. 

Edited by Henry Plainview - March 20 2011 at 20:54
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 20:45
Deleting artists isn't a good idea. I don't find any artists included here to be terribly objectionable, and deleting them will also delete many reviews.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 20:55
I, too, would rather not see any acts removed. 

What i would like, however, is to see PR and PP organised into subsections, but that entails a lot of work. Another change I'd like to see is optional album tagging and ability to search albums by tags.
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 21:10
I, for one, would love to expel modern hacks from this progressive site. Keep progress alive by keeping thieves out of PA!
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 21:29
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

I, for one, would love to expel modern hacks from this progressive site. Keep progress alive by keeping thieves out of PA!

lol
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 22:55
it sounds like what Damo is suggesting is a 'cleanup' ;  a reexamination of certain bands added long ago or without procedure that may not belong either in that particular subgenre, in which case the artist(s) could be moved with the approval of said genre teams, or removed altogether with the approval of M@X et al.   Several teams have accomplished this in the past, but it is easier said than done.   Firstly, policy is that no bands once added will be removed except under unusual circumstances, and only by M@X as far as I know.  Second, though a genreteam may be open to accepting a certain artist, no team will want to be expected to "play ball" and take an act they didn't add or don't really want.  Third, it is a project that would need coordination with all involved, and in theory, is a huge job.

Just my tuppence.

Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 00:34
In before Walter tries to nuke everything mod... er?

Wait...

Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 03:45
I would strongly resist the removal of any artist from the database. Our collaborators put a lot of work in assessing additions, and our reviewers spend a lot of time preparing reviews. To subsequently remove a band or artist would be disrepectful to those who had previosuly made the efffort for this site.

By all means review the additions process though.

(Perhaps we could remove Walter instead!Wink)
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 05:24
About deletion cases, I remember there has been more like genre movings of some artists with collaboration of teams & admins (like from some prog genre to related etc.), but not much deletions, which would require these mentioned heavy arguments.
About problematic inclusion cases, with this I believe is meant suggestions not moving anywhere, and inclusion rejections or additions causing controversial reactions etc.
I have decided to try think, that if some cases are not reacted, accepted or so, then this community is not open to these artists, and the loss is a loss for this community, not me.
Not very constructive solution possibly, but relieves the personal sensation of frustration.

From the inclusions and the reforms of discussable issues, hopefully there would be commitment for concrete discussions with relevant people at proper place, in order to handle these matters causing the pain - Either leading to some resolutions, or then confirmation to the troubled of how issues are decided to be conducted here.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 05:30
If we're going to put your ideas to a vote, I'd vote no.  I am strictly against removing things just because a lot of people may not approve.  Even the controversial artists aren't added without evaluation and careful consideration.  I think we draw a pretty good line, but almost no one's going to agree on it's boundaries.

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 21 2011 at 05:32
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 06:27
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

(Perhaps we could remove Walter instead!Wink)

You got my vote Big smile
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 06:34
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

If we're going to put your ideas to a vote, I'd vote no.  I am strictly against removing things just because a lot of people may not approve.  Even the controversial artists aren't added without evaluation and careful consideration.  I think we draw a pretty good line, but almost no one's going to agree on it's boundaries.

Just wanted to add, however, that when this site was in its infancy there were no genre teams and no "eval" procedure as we know it today - I believe one could find some artists added during this time that most might agree don't belong.

That said, there is probably such a small number of these cases it's probably not worth the time and energy rooting them out and removing them.
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 06:39

I would strongly resist the removal of any artist from the database. Our collaborators put a lot of work in assessing additions, and our reviewers spend a lot of time preparing reviews. To subsequently remove a band or artist would be disrepectful to those who had previosuly made the efffort for this site.

By all means review the additions process though.

100 % agree. 

(but let's keep Walter; the old senile cat sitting on his soft pillowed chair in the corner. This cat is harmless with no bite and no claws)

DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 08:01
Please wait all mates, quite a few members posting here may be very nervous about removal of artists I've felt ... mentioned only that we "can" reform etc ... and "in some cases" remove ... yes, I've said let me propose we can remove in some cases in accordance with our sincere and serious opinion and certain democratic manner. Smile

And also let me say that I do believe no Collaborator has an intention to entrap or bug PA or other Collaborators ...only what I've emphasized is to avoid permitting any dictatorship or bulldozing in PA. Approve

Anyway ... Bob (Easy Livin), I'm always appreciating your sincere efforts with your serious and strict attitude for PA, and let me ask you as one of the longest Admins in PA, please; Big smile

I've found there are "vacant" seats (artist ID numbers) in PA, and some of them have been obviously deleted already (realized via old threads like this ... ID1851 is a "vacant" seat already vaporized) ... what does this mean?
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

I believe one could find some artists added during this time that most might agree don't belong.
Related to this opinion?

By all means review the additions process though
Well again please let me propose, we should clarify the process of evaluation for subgenre candidates, including Proto-Prog and Prog-Related.
We subgenre teams maybe have tried to show the process in the artist's thread of "Suggest ... " Forum if possible (sometimes lazy as honestly I say Embarrassed ), but should we try harder to do so? Wink
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 08:12
When we cleaned up Symphonic, there were a couple we found that were highly questionable. I think we did end up getting one deleted because it was obviously a mistake. There was no doubt because the original addition was based on inaccurate information about the artist. Unless it's a similar situation, I don't think deletion is a good idea. Yeah, there are artists here I don't think belong, but somebody did.

I think the answer is just be opened minded and objective about submissions in the future. This applies to both sides of the discussion. Try to see it from the other person's perspective and have a civil discourse. Then put it to a vote and accept the outcome respectfully. 
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 08:12
Democracy sucks
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 08:28
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

That said, there is probably such a small number of these cases it's probably not worth the time and energy rooting them out and removing them.

I cannot think of a single artist I would want to see removed.  However, I can think of several that I think should be in Prog Related instead because they do not have any fully prog albums (and I'm not the one who said that).

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 08:36

I understand this, but this is not a defense of anything.  If you peek into the Libertarian thread for a minute, you will see that we criticize the government despite all that effort that goes into maintaining it.

In other words, suppose the Eclectic team added Lady Gaga.  Could we simply dispel the controversy that would be raised on this site by saying, "Yeah, but we worked very hard to add and review this artist!" Question
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 09:08
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

(but let's keep Walter; the old senile cat sitting on his soft pillowed chair in the corner. This cat is harmless with no bite and no claws)

If he keeps scent-marking his territory he will have to be neutered.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>