FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAgalloch - March 22nd, New York City

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Agalloch - March 22nd, New York City
    Posted: March 23 2011 at 02:23
Saw Agalloch play at Le Poisson Rouge in NYC.

They played with Ariel Ruin, Daniel Menche, and Worm Ouroboros.

Ariel Ruin was a solo act, a man and an acoustic guitar. Played folky riffs with some nice singing. Very samey. A nice act but wouldn't want to listen again.

Daniel Menche was another solo act, a noise musician. With the whole stage in darkness except for a red light on this table of pedals and gizmos, he filled the room with this perpetual noise (though with the slightest trace of a beat in it) and at his table tweaking the noise, adding others, etc. He had what I think was a mic, but looked like a metal strip that he held to his throat while drone singing, growling, screaming, and would hit to add a thumping noise. At one point he started hitting himself with it. It was something had to feel to really get the full scope, and watching him push himself to insanity was just beyond words. Not bad really, not too loud either (compared to what you'd expect with a noise artist).

Worm Ouroboros is what I can only describe as a post rock band. A trio with females on Guitar and Bass (and vocals) and Aesop Dekker on drums, their songs were lengthy and abruptly changed from ambient passages with bass and sparse gentle guitar, to walls of noise. Really good act, one I'd like to listen too but was difficult for concert.
They were your typical shoegazers, very quiet, little emotion on stage, almost audience interaction, even told someone next to me in the crowd not to use flash. Also their was little build, just light/heavy/light/heavy but still a good act.

Agalloch of course was awesome. My only complaint is that it was difficult to hear John. Often I just heard a screaming...I could make out his voice but that's it. This may have been due to the sound guy who had Worm Ouroboro's bass way to high as well...but the show was great.
Agalloch were surprisingly into it. John mainly stayed to his chair playing guitar and standing to sing, but the bassist and Don Anderson moved around a lot. Don was really into the show, often standing on the edge of stage, interacting with the audience, sometimes flat out running across stage, sang along the whole time and even rocked out a bit. Given the 3 introspective acts before...this was nice. And it's always good to see a band into it, especially when sincere.

They did a few stand alone songs but most of the show was in a medley style. They played almost all of "Marrow of the Spirit" in some form and a lot from "Ashes Against the Grain". They also did a surprising number from "Of Stone Wind and Pillor". The concert also seemed like a big fan favor, as most of the songs were quite thrashier than on the albums. Faster, a lot more double bass and thrash drumming. Also there were a few extended sections so we could rock out.

The 3 of them held their guitars in the air as the music ended and walked off stage, leaving their instruments buzzing and leaving feedback. After a bit of the noise, they came back for an encore and ended the show with the only song they played from the Mantle: In the Shadow of our Pale Companion

Whole act itself was simple, lighting and some smoke. John had various cool folky things around him including something that was sending a smoke that had an earthy smell, like some type of burning wood. Given the bands nature and atmosphere, this was very appropriate and smelled nice.

Good show, and good guys who really seemed into the show and were thankful. Supposedly was their first time playing in NYC.
Left in a hurry, but Don did stay on stage for a minute or two and shook hands with anyone who wanted.

Edited by JJLehto - March 23 2011 at 03:00
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 05:21
Shocked :envious:
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 08:51
I WANT TO BE YOU.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 10:52

Sounds epic. Shocked Was plenty of The Mantle played?

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 13:18
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Sounds epic. Shocked Was plenty of The Mantle played?

Didn't ya read it!?
No, they only played one song from it Cry but it was In the Shadow....and closed the show with it so at least there was that.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 14:44
You can't ask for a better encore than that. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 18:12
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I agree.

Also, JEALOUSY.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 19:54
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Absolutely.

And I know Marrow and Ashes were their last 2 so I get why that was the bulk of it, but we were still hoping they had to play some more of the Mantle....but that's avant for you. Never doing what you'd expect/want...

Was a great show though. I would see them again for sure, just if it ever happened in the future I hope their sound guy does a better job. John's vocals were just a shrieking noise. At least one of the few times words were audible was the epic part of In the Shadow.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 21:50
I was there. My ears still were ringing today when I awoke. (Better now)

Excellent show though. Hope they come back soon.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 04:00
Saw this guy filming, thought his camera looked like it was really good and I see it was. Superb quality.

Oh, and its otherside from this guy but directly in front of Don Anderson, 4ish rows of people from stage Im in there somewhere. Cool
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 04:03
Wow, the black metal vocals are even harscher when live. 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 04:38
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Wow, the black metal vocals are even harscher when live. 

Funny given his talking voice, which we all found a bit humorous.
And this camera is of good quality, so you really hear it. I couldn't so much make him out..more like I just heard a shrieking noise. Approve
Too Many Zeros View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2011 at 04:23
Man, I'm jealous!
brokechella View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 21:46
Sponsors for Emerging Music/Art Festival (Downtown LA)
------------------------------------------------------

Want to introduce your product to over 2000 of the hippest, trendiest, folks in LA next Saturday? Become an event sponsor on one of LA's coolest emerging music festivals. Stick close to home and rediscover the art and music scene thriving and brimming with talent that's poised to break so soon. Text 9176215942 for info on the festival and sponsorship packages. Lots of big secrets that we just can't share too publicly these days, but we promise--like last year, this will be wild and you'll want to be apart of this. 

*it's ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Post Reply Post Reply