Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNearfest cancelled

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nearfest cancelled
    Posted: July 10 2012 at 12:40
So old its not news its olds.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 08:31
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Old news Stern Smile

Very old news.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 07:18
Old news Stern Smile
What?
sorcerer kermes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 06:00
bad news
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2012 at 17:32
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I haven't been to a ProgDay yet though I certainly intend to at some stage. I've only really got back into this scene heavily in the last few years. In 2010 I did Nearfest, then last year I did RIO & Cuneifest, this year it's RIO & Nearfest.

I was on the verge of going to ProgDay last year (I think) while Uz Jsme Doma were still on the bill.

Next year depends on the RIO, ProgDay & ROSfest line-ups. I'll probably do two of them. Given my lack of interest in Neo (though I do like a lot of dark symphonic, especially if it's instrumental) ProgDay is looking pretty likely at this stage.

Progday is worth going just for the BBQ and the beer. LOL  I love it because I can drink, read, eat, and listen to great music all at the same time (in the shade of course)

We seem to have settled into a twice a year festival schedule as well.  I guess it will be 3 or 4  for Raff since she can come and go as she pleases but I must work haha.  I haven't decided whether driving up to Wilmington early on Saturday and leaving again Sunday is really worth it, even with that lineup.

We did go to Rosfest last year, and that was a hoot and half. Some of it was schlock IMO but it actually was extremely diverse.  Both Raff and I lament missing Discipline this year, especially since we both REALLY REALLY like the new Discipline album. If you haven't seen it Raff did a crackling review of it.

http://progmistress.com/2011/05/26/live-review-rosfest-2011-prog-is-a-battlefield/

Edited by micky - July 03 2012 at 17:33
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 20:31
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

That certainly is Progday, which is one reason we love it so much. It is small and unpretentious, yet the focus has usually been on newer/unknown groups which to be completely honest Ian, is really what gives me a charge. Have you been to one yet?  It is Raff and I's favorite actually, even with the frickin heat down there. Much more intimate and friendly, especially for terminally shy people like me who normally need 5 or 6 Newcastles to strike up conversations haha.

I do have that suspicion as well, I'd hate to see it, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit. 
I haven't been to a ProgDay yet though I certainly intend to at some stage. I've only really got back into this scene heavily in the last few years. In 2010 I did Nearfest, then last year I did RIO & Cuneifest, this year it's RIO & Nearfest.

I was on the verge of going to ProgDay last year (I think) while Uz Jsme Doma were still on the bill.

Next year depends on the RIO, ProgDay & ROSfest line-ups. I'll probably do two of them. Given my lack of interest in Neo (though I do like a lot of dark symphonic, especially if it's instrumental) ProgDay is looking pretty likely at this stage.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - July 02 2012 at 20:32
TechnicallySpeaking View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 20:09
I agree on all points. I will be hostong a one-time prog festival next year focused on the next generation to celebrate my 50th birthday - Joe
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 19:41
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

This would be my hope, I'd love to see a diverse festival focused on more modern bands. Maybe that's ProgDay?

I have a nasty suspicion (that I hope is wrong) that Greg is going to cancel Farfest or lose his shirt on it.

That certainly is Progday, which is one reason we love it so much. It is small and unpretentious, yet the focus has usually been on newer/unknown groups which to be completely honest Ian, is really what gives me a charge. Have you been to one yet?  It is Raff and I's favorite actually, even with the frickin heat down there. Much more intimate and friendly, especially for terminally shy people like me who normally need 5 or 6 Newcastles to strike up conversations haha.

I do have that suspicion as well, I'd hate to see it, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit. 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 19:28

Going on complete intuition and have heard nothing to support it, but it wouldn't surprise me if after a year or two break that Nearfest is resurrected, not in name, but a successor by many of the same names and faces. The Nearfest name being retired because the new festival will not be 'Nearfest' but a festival bringing the best of the many many .... MANY...wildly, diverse, creative and modern crop of bands making music today. The emphasis put upon the all the great music of today, not as a sideshow/warm up to nostaligia driven bands, but the actual focus of the festival itself.  Perhaps it is more dream than anything, but that is what I hope rises from the ashes.
This would be my hope, I'd love to see a diverse festival focused on more modern bands. Maybe that's ProgDay?

I have a nasty suspicion (that I hope is wrong) that Greg is going to cancel Farfest or lose his shirt on it.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 19:13
Originally posted by TechnicallySpeaking TechnicallySpeaking wrote:

A new festival was announced to be the follow-on to the great NEARFEST legacy – it is called FARFEST. Look for it on the internet.  The lineup looks great. 

It does, but a follow-on to Nearfest?   That is somewhat like following the car in front of you off the cliff isn't it just because the view is killer! haha

I don't think it is a stretch to believe that Farfest will have the same problems and ultimate self-inflicted mortality  Nearfest did, if what is being sold is the old music by groups that aren't going to be around that much longer.  He managed to get a great lineup this year. What about the next year, and the year after that.  Perhaps it is only a one shot deal. I tend to think it is, especially with that kind of focus on the old warhorses when I think most see that is a dead end street as the audience and especially the bands are no longer around.

I must admit to finding the timing of Farfest quite curious, and especially inconvenient. Of course my wife is going but my bosses happen to love me and want me around thus sort of frowning on me taking all kinds of time off of work hahah and will only let me out of the cage only so often.  Progday is coming up and we won't miss that for anything.  Hopefully he'll sell enough tickets to not lose his ass and perhaps come back next summer (not fall when people have work and school to deal with) with something that might have a chance to be a true follow-on. Something stable we can look forward to year after year. 

Going on complete intuition and have heard nothing to support it, but it wouldn't surprise me if after a year or two break that Nearfest is resurrected, not in name, but a successor by many of the same names and faces. The Nearfest name being retired because the new festival will not be 'Nearfest' but a festival bringing the best of the many many .... MANY...wildly, diverse, creative and modern crop of bands making music today. The emphasis put upon the all the great music of today, not as a sideshow/warm up to nostaligia driven bands, but the actual focus of the festival itself.  Perhaps it is more dream than anything, but that is what I hope rises from the ashes.

Edited by micky - July 02 2012 at 19:16
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 10:04

Actually NEARFEST was not canceled this year. It returned with a roar after being canceled last year. I was announced that NEARFEST 2012 will be the last one ever. A new festival was announced to be the follow-on to the great NEARFEST legacy – it is called FARFEST. Look for it on the internet.  The lineup looks great.  This year’s NEARFEST was one of my favorite as the bands were great and the after parties a lot of fun as well. My sons’ bands Until Sunrise and Ocean Architecture were in vending, their music was played during the Saturday morning walk-in and Ocean Architecture got the opportunity to play a couple songs from their debut album Animus at the Sunday night after party jam.   

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 05:50

So a year has come and gone and Nearfest had it's last hurrah.  So where does that leave the state of progressive rock and festivals here in the states?  Interesting subject.  I especially like something Raff said near the end of her review.

' It was deeply saddening, but in some ways also quite cathartic. To me, it felt as if that performance (which, in any case, most of the audience seemed to love) signaled the end of an era, and showed that it was time for the prog community to shed its Seventies obsession and move forward.'

I said this in another thread and it's worth repeating, I think....this is what a so called consumerist approach to art leads to.  An artist attempts to communicate his emotions and the audience must also make efforts to understand what he is trying to say.  If that sounds idealist, then perhaps wishing for prog at your doorstep is also daydreaming...especially if it HAS to be exactly the kind of prog you want and nothing else.  Think about how many things that we may have once found utilitarian have gone out of production now.  If somebody still has a nostalgic yearning for a typewriter because it brings back glorious memories of his childhood, that is probably not sufficient justification for a manufacturer to set up a production line for it yet again. 

Edited by rogerthat - July 01 2012 at 05:55
ALLENBY View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 15:01
It`s areal shame that Nearfest did not make it this year. For those of you in the UK the amazing MOON SAFARI are playing in Peterborough Cambridgeshire on September 27th supported by the excellent Brotherhoods Roundabout playing covers from the likes of YES/ IT BITES/ PORCUPINE TREE/ RUSH/ STYX /GENESIS etc.

Tickets are £10 and anyone interested in a ticket needs to contact me on [email protected]

Nothing Prog ever happens in this area so we are really hoping to make a success of it.

Thanks guys.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 14:08
So a year has come and gone and Nearfest had it's last hurrah.  So where does that leave the state of progressive rock and festivals here in the states?  Interesting subject.  I especially like something Raff said near the end of her review.

' It was deeply saddening, but in some ways also quite cathartic. To me, it felt as if that performance (which, in any case, most of the audience seemed to love) signaled the end of an era, and showed that it was time for the prog community to shed its Seventies obsession and move forward.'
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 18:30
Cool  It seems that there is a new BUZZ regarding NEARFest 2012.   The organizers are looking for input.  Go to the NEARfest Facebook page or the forum on Progressive Ears to share your thoughts.
CharAznable View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2011 at 15:48
The economy was a lot worse in 2009. Why was it a massive success that year and not this one?

What was different about NEARfest itself that year?

That's your reason.
tribeca View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2011 at 12:29
For those who have said it's not about the economy I would have to disagree slightly. I have seen many comments on forums where people have had to choose which festival to drop due to finances. We've put together a good line-up for the Electric Garden Prog Festival. Spent a bunch of money on Bands and Marketing and now only 4 weeks from the festival are we closing in on the break even level. Having supported Nearfest through advertising, I know they will have done all they can to make the event happen. Someone earlier said they had a son whose favourite albums were by Yes and Sigur Ros. I believe this is the way forward (a prog/post rock amalgamation).

Although we are mainly prog this year we certainly want to encourage a creative line-up in the future. Certain 'established' acts will certainly have to get more realistic about fees.

I also think new media promotional techniques have been shunned by a lot of the older bands. A Facebook, Twitter, Blog, Myspace profile is now standard. You have to go beyond that with advanced marketing methods just to keep your head above water in a very crowded market place. i.e don't leave it all to the promotor!
Life should be like a Wim Wenders soundtrack remixed by aliens
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2011 at 20:24
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I am of the opinion that the real issue in these is lack of support, care and attention ... between all of us web sites and progressive anythings ... and until the day we do ... we're going to suffer ... I just happened to go through the Gong's website ... and Nearfest is not mentioned! ... and Gong played there, I imagine! But it also tells you that the Nearfest (or anyother Fest) is not interested, or keeping track of the bands to allow people to stay up on them ... see today ... gone tomorrow ... dead the following week!

Maybe we need to have some more, and better appreciation about what "progressive" really means ... and then see what we have left! Because for something to not make it ... that bad ... there probably was a lot of it missing in the first place!

It's a good time for a really good reality check ... even for a PA or equivalent!

I was on my way back out the door and saw your post.  Great post.  That is why I crawled out from the rock I've been living under. That is a point I felt strongly about.   A great summation of the real issues at play within the so-called progressive community. If it is important to people they'll support these bands, if not and all they are interested in are the moldy oldies then the community will die hand in hand with classic bands.  The question I'm left with everything I've seen, and read over the last couple of weeks.  I'm wondering if it might not be a good thing for the music itself to let these festivals die, and let 'prog fan' sit at home and listen to their Genesis albums and post of prog sites and discuss if Band A is more proggy than Band B, thus freeing(forcing) bands to reivent themselves and find new and RECEPTIVE audiences. Reinvent? not musically but in how they are perceived and marketed.  Perhaps 'prog' is an anachronism and should die with the last of the classic bands.  We'll see what happens.. until then our butts will planted in seats and checking out all these new/unknown groups. 

Cheers guys for some great and thought provoking posts. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 22:10
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

ooohhh.  That is obviously one way to look at it Sherry.  The festival didn't give the core audience what it wanted.  At what point though should the organizers start to ask.  What happens when those classic bands that draw so many aren't around to headline these shows.  (hint.. we got a preview this year)

Wow ... and this is really scary!

Why? ... simple ... a "progressive music" audience would have a lot more respect for the music than otherwise ... but if the only audience that you are chasing is the "prog" audience, or the more this or that, and not what was "originally" known as "progressive" ... then we're at fault as much as the folks that owned that affair ... time has passed us by and we did not get better, and improve, and help bands get bigger and better ... in fact, sometimes we bring some bands in ... and make them look like they are not good enough, but we gonna give them a shot because they are cheap and they are from the town next to us! The big Genesis, ELP and KC fan is gonna be furious that you even considered such a cheap cut off of a band. And today's fans will be pist that you ignored a new band, trying hard to make it ... and instead you spent money on a band ... that had a name, but ... really ... has no life anymore to speak of!

(I saw a lot of this in SF on the Festival in 1999 ... and it was by far my last visit to a "progressive" festival ... why? ... the audience was worse than a stuck up classical music folks ... that trashed some of those bands ... and could not appreciate different music ... and one of the bands that put on one of the most professional, clean and well done shows was ignored ... as "not progressive enough" and way too metal to be "progressive" ... it's a f**king festival for crying out loud ... there will be some things that you might not prefer or like, but have some respect and love and appreciation for their expression ... no ... half the audience left the room and went outside to have a drink instead! But they came back for the next band!

I am of the opinion that the real issue in these is lack of support, care and attention ... between all of us web sites and progressive anythings ... and until the day we do ... we're going to suffer ... I just happened to go through the Gong's website ... and Nearfest is not mentioned! ... and Gong played there, I imagine! But it also tells you that the Nearfest (or anyother Fest) is not interested, or keeping track of the bands to allow people to stay up on them ... see today ... gone tomorrow ... dead the following week!

Maybe we need to have some more, and better appreciation about what "progressive" really means ... and then see what we have left! Because for something to not make it ... that bad ... there probably was a lot of it missing in the first place!

It's a good time for a really good reality check ... even for a PA or equivalent!

I agreed with a lot of what you said but I do take exception to this.  The festival's website  faithfully keeps its back lineups with information about the band and their set.   Calprog also posts a 10-12 minute sound samples of the bands that play there (started doing that about three years ago). I do agree about some of the bands.  Ambrosia's website didn't even list the show last yearConfused  

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 21:38

ooohhh.  That is obviously one way to look at it Sherry.  The festival didn't give the core audience what it wanted.  At what point though should the organizers start to ask.  What happens when those classic bands that draw so many aren't around to headline these shows.  (hint.. we got a preview this year)

Wow ... and this is really scary!

Why? ... simple ... a "progressive music" audience would have a lot more respect for the music than otherwise ... but if the only audience that you are chasing is the "prog" audience, or the more this or that, and not what was "originally" known as "progressive" ... then we're at fault as much as the folks that owned that affair ... time has passed us by and we did not get better, and improve, and help bands get bigger and better ... in fact, sometimes we bring some bands in ... and make them look like they are not good enough, but we gonna give them a shot because they are cheap and they are from the town next to us! The big Genesis, ELP and KC fan is gonna be furious that you even considered such a cheap cut off of a band. And today's fans will be pist that you ignored a new band, trying hard to make it ... and instead you spent money on a band ... that had a name, but ... really ... has no life anymore to speak of!

(I saw a lot of this in SF on the Festival in 1999 ... and it was by far my last visit to a "progressive" festival ... why? ... the audience was worse than a stuck up classical music folks ... that trashed some of those bands ... and could not appreciate different music ... and one of the bands that put on one of the most professional, clean and well done shows was ignored ... as "not progressive enough" and way too metal to be "progressive" ... it's a f**king festival for crying out loud ... there will be some things that you might not prefer or like, but have some respect and love and appreciation for their expression ... no ... half the audience left the room and went outside to have a drink instead! But they came back for the next band!

Edited by moshkito - April 04 2011 at 21:43
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>