Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 07:27
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by rematpac rematpac wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Best (vinyl) side-long album tracks

StarKarn Evil 9,Journey to the Center of the Earth,Emerson Piano Concerto No.1,Malmsteen Concerto in e-flat minor,Days of Future Passed)

Fail!

And it was never called Karn Eval 9.
I've been wracking my brain trying to recall it ever being called "Karn Eval" and I don't think that it ever was. I don't have a vinyl copy of BSS, but on Welcome Back My Friends vinyl the live version is called Karn Evil plain enough.
When you see the words Karn Evil,does that make you think of the word 'carnival"?It doesn't me.But when you see how they originally spelled it "Karn Eval",it makes you wonder why they misspelled the word "evil".I finally figured out the reason after it had been right in my face all these decades.Actually I didn't figure it out by myself,one of your members told me yesterday that what Sinfield had meant was" Carnival 9".We can pretty much guess that the number 9 came from "Revolution 9" from The Beatle's White Album,and as for the words K-A-R-N-E-V-A-L,that came from the word C-A-R-N-I-V-A-L,and that's exactly what the lyrics in the 1st movement talk all about,"Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends...",a carnival in the distant future when people have become so decadent that the show is comprised of some very carnally evil spectacles.Just listen to the lyrics.I had both the record and cassette and the work was spelled "Karn Eval 9" on both and yes I could not figure out why they mispelled evil until I was informed the words came from"carnival".It has since officially been changed to "Karn Evil 9",I realize,but when it was 1st out it was DEFINITELY spelled "Karn Eval 9" and if you think about it ,it was a very logical thing to do.But probably like me,not many people understood the double message(which should have been obvious),so they changed it for good.If you don't believe me,put the question up for ALL your ELP fan's,I am plenty confident that someone else will remember or figure it out themselves.Or better yet,you can ask Greg Lake yourself by sending him a message to his youtube site.
You've said all this already and simply repeating it does not make any more valid. Just because it sounds logical in your head doesn't make it truth. It doesn't take much thought to work out the "pun" in Karn Evil - I managed to work that one out in 1973 along with everyone else (except you apparently). It was never released as "Karn Eval" so what it was called before release is anelephant - Echoes was called Looking Through the Knothole in Granny's Wooden Leg but it was released as Echoes so it is called Echoes and it is known as Echoes.
It has been totally officially changed to Karn Evil 9 many years ago,but it was NEVER A FIGMENT OF MY IMAGINATION.You can easily prove this by googling the words Karn Eval 9,and even though google will ask you for the other option since it has officially been changed,you'll still find other sites that call it what it originally came out as,KARN EVAL 9.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 07:33

StarKarn Evil 9,Journey to the Center of the Earth,Emerson Piano Concerto No.1,Malmsteen Concerto in e-flat minor,Days of Future Passed)

Fail!

I've been wracking my brain trying to recall it ever being called "Karn Eval" and I don't think that it ever was. I don't have a vinyl copy of BSS, but on Welcome Back My Friends vinyl the live version is called Karn Evil plain enough.
When you see the words Karn Evil,does that make you think of the word 'carnival"?It doesn't me.But when you see how they originally spelled it "Karn Eval",it makes you wonder why they misspelled the word "evil".I finally figured out the reason after it had been right in my face all these decades.Actually I didn't figure it out by myself,one of your members told me yesterday that what Sinfield had meant was" Carnival 9".We can pretty much guess that the number 9 came from "Revolution 9" from The Beatle's White Album,and as for the words K-A-R-N-E-V-A-L,that came from the word C-A-R-N-I-V-A-L,and that's exactly what the lyrics in the 1st movement talk all about,"Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends...",a carnival in the distant future when people have become so decadent that the show is comprised of some very carnally evil spectacles.Just listen to the lyrics.I had both the record and cassette and the work was spelled "Karn Eval 9" on both and yes I could not figure out why they mispelled evil until I was informed the words came from"carnival".It has since officially been changed to "Karn Evil 9",I realize,but when it was 1st out it was DEFINITELY spelled "Karn Eval 9" and if you think about it ,it was a very logical thing to do.But probably like me,not many people understood the double message(which should have been obvious),so they changed it for good.If you don't believe me,put the question up for ALL your ELP fan's,I am plenty confident that someone else will remember or figure it out themselves.Or better yet,you can ask Greg Lake yourself by sending him a message to his youtube site.
You've said all this already and simply repeating it does not make any more valid. Just because it sounds logical in your head doesn't make it truth. It doesn't take much thought to work out the "pun" in Karn Evil - I managed to work that one out in 1973 along with everyone else (except you apparently). It was never released as "Karn Eval" so what it was called before release is anelephant - Echoes was called Looking Through the Knothole in Granny's Wooden Leg but it was released as Echoes so it is called Echoes and it is known as Echoes.
It has been totally officially changed to Karn Evil 9 many years ago,but it was NEVER A FIGMENT OF MY IMAGINATION.You can easily prove this by googling the words Karn Eval 9,and even though google will ask you for the other option since it has officially been changed,you'll still find other sites that call it what it originally came out as,KARN EVAL 9.

You will find what you expect to find on the internet. Mispellings
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 07:34
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Well it is real easy to send a youtube message so why don't you ask him why they originally titled it Karn Eval 9?!

Greg Lake is not going to answer questions on his youtube page!

I'm going to kill myself. 
Because I already KNOW FOR A FACT THAT IT WAS CALLED KARN EVAL 9,Why would I want to ask him a question that I already know the answer to?What you can do for your own piece of mind is GOOGLE KARN EVAL 9,and find out for yourself that although it was changed years ago,some other people still call it by it's original name KARN EVAL 9.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 07:37

Searching for "Karn Eval 9" using google or any other search engine does not yield irrefutable proof in the form of photographic evidence from album covers or official track listings on databases - what you get is a whole list of numpties who spelt it wrong in reviews and in posts on internet forums like this one. Go to your garage, open the box, pull out the poster, take a photograph of it and post it here, but if it is not an official Manticore published poster then don't bother.
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 07:39

Searching for "Karn Eval 9" using google or any other search engine does not yield irrefutable proof in the form of photographic evidence from album covers or official track listings on databases - what you get is a whole list of numpties who spelt it wrong in reviews and in posts on internet forums like this one. Go to your garage, open the box, pull out the poster, take a photograph of it and post it here, but if it is not an official Manticore published poster then don't bother.

Even official stuff can have typos.Wink

Edited by Snow Dog - March 30 2011 at 07:40
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 07:42

Fail!

It was changed and that is a historical prog fact that you can easily verify if you want to simply by asking Lake why they first spelled it KARN EVAL 9.It's also obvious:CARNIVAL-KARNEVAL.

Carnival = Karn Evil is also obvious. Karn Eval however makes no sense.
Of course it makes sense.They only had to change 2 rather than 3 letters.I'll admit years ago it didn't make sense to me either,that's why they changed it.Alright,I'm pissed.I am going to email Greg Lake right now!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 07:54

Carnival = Karn Evil is also obvious. Karn Eval however makes no sense.
Of course it makes sense.They only had to change 2 rather than 3 letters.I'll admit years ago it didn't make sense to me either,that's why they changed it.Alright,I'm pissed.I am going to email Greg Lake right now!
Actually it never made sense - "Karn Evil" doesn't make much more sense than "Karn Eval" in fact since neither "Karn" nor "Eval" are real words.

"Karn" could just about pass as a valid word, at least as a proper name (though the more usual spelling is Khan), but "Eval" isn't word at all - it has since become a colloquial abbreviation for "Evaluation", but in 1973 it wasn't.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 07:55
...has he replied yet?
What?
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 08:10

I don't have a camera,but that doesn't matter because I just sent a message to Greg Lake and explained the situation.He hasn't been active on his sight for a while but eventually he will get the message and when he does you all better hope he's just too busy to answer because if he's not there's going to be a big"I TOLD YOU SO" for all of you dis-believers.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 08:18

I don't have a camera,but that doesn't matter because I just sent a message to Greg Lake and explained the situation.He hasn't been active on his sight for a while but eventually he will get the message and when he does you all better hope he's just too busy to answer because if he's not there's going to be a big"I TOLD YOU SO" for all of you dis-believers.

I am waiting with bated breath. 

Edited by Henry Plainview - March 30 2011 at 08:19
if you own a sodastream i hate you
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 08:19

...has he replied yet?
Of course not,I just sent him a message and he hasn't been active for a while on his site.But eventually,he will see my message explaining the situation.There's a lot of abstract(atonal)music in Karn Evil 9 formerly Karn Eval 9.It should be no surprise that they would use abstract words to name their epic work about a carnival in the far future.Karneval 9 was the perfect name for a future carnival as they describe it in the lyrics of the work.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 08:21

There's a lot of abstract(atonal)music in Karn Evil 9 formerly Karn Eval 9.

Those two words do not mean the same thing and neither of them apply to Karn Evil 9. 
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 08:21

...has he replied yet?
Of course not,I just sent him a message and he hasn't been active for a while on his site.But eventually,he will see my message explaining the situation.There's a lot of abstract(atonal)music in Karn Evil 9 formerly Karn Eval 9.It should be no surprise that they would use abstract words to name their epic work about a carnival in the far future.Karneval 9 was the perfect name for a future carnival as they describe it in the lyrics of the work.

Why not Karn Ival 9 then?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 08:30

How old are you? Five? (with apologies to all 5 year-olds reading this). I sincerely want you to be proved right - nothing would please me more. I don't want rumour, guesses or vague rusty memories I want proven irrefutable facts - nothing else matters. Seriously. If it was originally called Karn Eval on early releases then that's bloody marvellous - a fantastic piece of archive history forgotten for 38 years - brilliant. But if it's not, or can't be proven then it's nothing.

What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 08:31
This extract from "Emerson Lake and Palmer: The show That Never Ends (A Musical Biography)" by George Forrester, Martyn Hansen and Frank Askew

"..the epic "Karn Evil 9" (sic), one of ELP's finest extended pieces to date.
The title was Pete Sinfield's, punning on his initial feeling that Emerson's piece was like carnival music. The number 9 was simply seen as having a "universal" character."
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 08:32
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

I am waiting with bated breath. 
Anotherthing,when I 1st saw the name of the work KARN EVAL 9,it wasn't on Brain Salad Surgery,but on the 1st ELP albums I bought which was a double cassette version of Welcome Back My Friends which I unbelieveably bought at the local large food market right behind one of the cashiers where they used to keep the individual packs of cigarrettes in the 60's in a small oblong wooden box with a sliding plastic door in 1974.That's how good my memory is and that's why I know it wasn't just a typo because it was all over the place on both the studio and live albums and cassettes.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 08:32

...has he replied yet?

Why not Karn Ival 9 then?
Karl Iván 9... Shocked
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 08:33

How old are you? Five? (with apologies to all 5 year-olds reading this). I sincerely want you to be proved right - nothing would please me more. I don't want rumour, guesses or vague rusty memories I want proven irrefutable facts - nothing else matters. Seriously. If it was originally called Karn Eval on early releases then that's bloody marvellous - a fantastic piece of archive history forgotten for 38 years - brilliant. But if it's not, or can't be proven then it's nothing.

I will get my original LP down later to make sure. But I certainly have no memory of his spelling. Of course my LP maybe a later printing anyway, but I'll check anyway.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 08:34

Anotherthing,when I 1st saw the name of the work KARN EVAL 9,it wasn't on Brain Salad Surgery,but on the 1st ELP albums I bought which was a double cassette version of Welcome Back My Friends which I unbelieveably bought at the local large food market right behind one of the cashiers where they used to keep the individual packs of cigarrettes in the 60's in a small oblong wooden box with a sliding plastic door in 1974.That's how good my memory is and that's why I know it wasn't just a typo because it was all over the place on both the studio and live albums and cassettes.
OMG! Are you being serious? Shocked 

You really are a troll aren't you. Stern Smile

Well done, you had us going there for a minute Clap 

Now, go away. Stern Smile
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 08:37

OMG! Are you being serious? Shocked 

You really are a troll aren't you. Stern Smile

Well done, you had us going there for a minute Clap 

Now, go away. Stern Smile

I had my doubts all along Dean. Now proven without a doubt. I think we've finished here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>