Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWho are some of the best vocalists in prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2011 at 23:22
I know who Daniel Gildenlow is, I like his voice, and I really like Russel Allen's voice too. Did Russel Allen study the classical methods? He sounds like a baritone or a tenor. 
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2011 at 23:26
I'm not sure if any of the guys I'm going to list have formal vocal training, but I personally think they have great voices.  In no order:

Mariusz Duda (Riverside)
Rikard Sjöblom (Beardfish)
Ian Kenny (Karnivool)
Sel Balamir (Amplifier)
Mike Vennart (Oceansize)
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2011 at 23:27
Not that I know of. The trend these days is for singers to work with voice coaches, so they don't necessarily study classical singing.  Annie Haslam studied under a classical instructor for a short time but I don't know of any other of the better known prog singers who did so.  And that was in the 70s before instructional tapes and books by voice coaches became the rage.   

Edited by rogerthat - April 09 2011 at 23:27
StrengthandWisdom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2011 at 23:57
Whats the difference of singing coaches? What do they teach?

Also why has singing changed so much? do people not sing from the diaphragm anymore? is that an old technical thing.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 00:14
Originally posted by StrengthandWisdom StrengthandWisdom wrote:

Whats the difference of singing coaches? What do they teach?

Also why has singing changed so much? do people not sing from the diaphragm anymore? is that an old technical thing.

They simply teach you the mechanics and anatomy of using your diaphragm.  So, people do still use the diaphragm to sing,  at least those who sing 'correctly' like Allen, so I am not sure what you are referring to when you say singing has changed so much.  As I said before, technique matters, and not effect.  Many heavy metal singers can sing with BIG production, volume and power at the high end of a tenor's range, and they are NOT doing anything they aren't supposed to. Dio, for instance, had lost precious little in his voice right till his last years and he sang for nearly 40 years live. 

Edited by rogerthat - April 10 2011 at 00:15
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 00:21
For some reason, remembered an awesome singer who hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread, I think. Zach Stevens of Savatage, kicka**! Headbanger
StrengthandWisdom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 00:38
I mean, don't most rock/metal singers use glottal voice? Before Jazz/Blues singers studied the classical methods, and the singing styles of opera singers such as Luciano Pavrotti. Why don't all singers study the classical opera methods?

Jazz/Blues focused more on a head voice.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 00:49

I mean, don't most rock/metal singers use glottal voice? 

I don't think so and that is why I cited the example of Dio. He had such a long career and so many shows under his belt but there was barely a dent on his voice through the years.  Bruce Dickinson's voice too held up well over the years.  Halford and Tate ran into problems but that was on account of their lifestyle, particularly excessive drinking.  That is what I have tried to emphasize on this thread. What sounds throaty to the listener may not be so at all, it may be controlled and "safe" singing.  Anyhow, long story short, rock singers going over C5 definitely switch to head voice just like other singers.  What you are suggesting might have applied to Freddie Mercury who apparently contracted some voice problems later on in his career (and again, whether THAT was the cause or something else, I don't know). But high singing in rock/metal from 80s onwards, especially the Allen/Hansi types, is controlled and 'correct'. 
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 03:16
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I mean, don't most rock/metal singers use glottal voice? 

I don't think so and that is why I cited the example of Dio. He had such a long career and so many shows under his belt but there was barely a dent on his voice through the years.  Bruce Dickinson's voice too held up well over the years.  Halford and Tate ran into problems but that was on account of their lifestyle, particularly excessive drinking.  That is what I have tried to emphasize on this thread. What sounds throaty to the listener may not be so at all, it may be controlled and "safe" singing.  Anyhow, long story short, rock singers going over C5 definitely switch to head voice just like other singers.  What you are suggesting might have applied to Freddie Mercury who apparently contracted some voice problems later on in his career (and again, whether THAT was the cause or something else, I don't know). But high singing in rock/metal from 80s onwards, especially the Allen/Hansi types, is controlled and 'correct'. 

"Glottal" does not mean "incorrect" or "uncontrolled" at all; it just means using the glottis. Nothing wrong with that at all. And of course metal singers use it. And why not?

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 06:04
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

"Glottal" does not mean "incorrect" or "uncontrolled" at all; it just means using the glottis.

I said metal singing is not necessarily  uncontrolled or incorrect.  His posts insinuate that rock/metal singers use glottal voice which spoils the throat. And that is what I have responded to.

And of course metal singers use it. And why not?

Could you give some examples of say Ronnie James Dio using it because as far as I know you, he uses his chest and head, that's all.  Which singers and what style of metal singing do you have in mind when you say they use glottal voice?
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 06:09
I'll write the best.Mikael Akerfeldt!
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 08:50
Marco Glühmann
Jon Anderson
Fish
Gabriel
Peter Nicholls
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 16:35
Peter Gabriel has always had a memorable and fantastic voice.
One of my favorites.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 00:44
Benoit David Clap

I mean, the bloke has to be the most ORIGINAL vocalist in prog, right?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 13:12
Some of my favourites:

Greg Lake
Peter Gabriel
Fish
Annie Haslam
Freddy Mercury (early years)
Bowie  (and by extension Peter Hamill, even the differences between both I can not help thinking they have very similar timbres)
Emila Derkowska from the polish Quidam
Jon Anderson
Cyrus from Citizen Cain
John Wetton
Paul Wrightson from Arena
Steve Walsh
Chris Squire (as backing vocalist)

Thinking about Squire makes me think of extending the question to great backing vocalists. Brian May and Roger Taylor from Queen were excellent!   what about others?

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 14:11
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

From the more famous bands that I know, I go for John Anderson, Annie Haslam, and Freddy Mercury... and then many of the female fronted metal bands too. Very special mention and better than most, are italian singers Francesco di Giancomo (from Banco del Mutuo Socorso), and Jimmy Spitaleri from Metamorfosi.

Nice to see Francesco mentioned ... he is indeed very special.

It's hard to not think that Peter Hammill is probably the best, but his best work is behind him, and I am not sure that he is being as vital today as he was way back, when his use of the "voice" was unreal, and totally had many people wondering ... wow ... how can he do that? ... you can if you "live" your music --- and it's not just a song!

I would consider Freddie as well ... even though a lot of Queen's music might not be considered "progressive", but a lot of the work they did was far more progressive than most of the bands we list in the top 100! And not just a repetition either which tells you that they were about a lot more specific on the content and work they did, than most bands ever consider!

From the women's side, the best and worst is in one person, that is really hard for many folks to accept. Renate, from AD2 is an acquired taste, as she can be soft and gentle and then you listen to "Mozambique" and all you can say is ... ohhh my gawd ... it is down right vicious and so Peter Hammill like that it is scary ... not to mention that the lyrics are absolutely unreal and with it on top of it. She used her voice in many different ways and did a lot of different things, and you can see her operatic ability in "Yeti" and some other nice addons in other pieces through out. She is a totally non-conventional singer, and the kind of singer that we're likely to say ... gawd ... she's horrible, but that's like saying that the early days of Iggy were any better!

Annie Haslam has the range, but is, otherwise a very conventional singer on an excellent band that helped showcase and back her voice. Not sure how progressive that really is, other than ... just excellent musicianship and composition instead.

I have a hard time not including Roy Harper in these lists ... he is a fabulous singer and he can drone and groan and scream and shout with the best of them, and like Peter Hammill, he knows how to accentuate what he is saying ... on his later years he is losing that a bit, but he's still an excellent artist and his period from the mid 70's through the 80's is on par with PH's material and then some. We simply do not have the ear for music and poetry ... and we consider Peter progressive and Roy not ... simply because he uses an accoustic guitar instead of a keyboard.

Peter Gabriel is ok in my book. I think he got too infatuated with his fame and wanting to doll himself up with some girls here and there, and I hope that he comes back around and worry less about looking fabulous and instead do more music. He has experimented enough and heard enough, that I think that he has not figured out how to work with or use all that stuff ... but he really could use writing something like The Lamb again ... to help explore his insides better ... and get off the pop routines and material.

Jim Morrison is probably the best of them all, though ... there never has been as expressive and poetic a voice as his in rock music, and no one could dally from the weirdest to the most beautiful in such a poetic way. His band is not quite listed as "progressive" and it should be one of the bands that we should look at and appreciate the most. That kind of imagery, poetry, lyrics and creativity to color the words, is what "progressive" was all about ... the rest is not worth discussing!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 14:13

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Technically the best imo:

Bruce Dickinson

How can a screamer be technically the best?LOL

Easy ... just be named Peter Hammill!

Clap
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 14:17

Even singers WITH training use "glottal voice" (I presume you mean "head voice"); you can't reach certain high notes without using head voice. If you don't believe me read the wikipedia entry about vocal resonation:

Vocal training only teaches you  how to switch between them effortlessly and to support the sung note with the diaphragm.

ClapThese people typically assume a high note produced with a good deal of resonance must have been produced from the chest but of course, that is not the case.  Dio's highest notes on Neon Knights are definitely off the head, that they SOUND chesty doesn't mean they are. 

Wait a minute ... you guys making an assumption that "progressice" this or that, actually knows and understands "resonance" ... ???  Confused
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 14:24

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

He shouts. he shouts in tune. But he shouts.

No such thing as that, shouting in tune (which is not what he does, once again) is still singing, I am not going to call it anything else and also the claim that a singer who belts all the time cannot be technically the best is off base.  Once again, what your opinion of Bruce is and what you choose to call him is not my concern, but the conclusions you have drawn are inaccurate.    

For once I have to agree with Snow Dog: Shouting IS singing.

And in the 60's and 70's there was a lot of work being done having to do with "voice" and experimentation ... and sounds off the voice also counted.

I remember the first time we heard Flora Purim, and someone next to me asked ... is that supposed to be singing? ... and unffortunately that means that this person only knows one thing about vocals ... and of course, they have never heard a lot of Eastern Music, that happens to have a lot of "vocal effects" and "variations" that add to the singing and the lyricsof the work at hand.

Again ... we're too dang stuck up on an idea of singing to accept anything else possible ... and for people that the vocal this and that is a limitation, not an expression ... then it would not be called "singing" ... and things like this really show how the mentality of western commercial music is really hurting expression!

Expression creates singing ... not the other way around! So something being a scream or other ... so what? ... it's a part of the expression, and if you are upset that Jim Morrison screamed ... you can not petition the lord with prayer ... you are obviously going to miss the best part of the trip!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 14:36

I mean, don't most rock/metal singers use glottal voice? Before Jazz/Blues singers studied the classical methods, and the singing styles of opera singers such as Luciano Pavrotti. Why don't all singers study the classical opera methods?

I'm not sure this is necessary ... since in the end, the restrictions and a lot of the defined details tend to restrict expression and say ... "you can't do that" ... and in the end, the fact of the matter is that the 60's was a time when "voice" was explored ... and this was extremelly visible in the theater circles and there is no reason to see that it was not happening in the music circles, because it was ... many of these people and bands were around a lot of these things and explorations ... and it helped music tremendously, when you see someone like Jim Morrison do his l=poetry on many pieces of music with the excellent use of his voice.

Other vocal things were also done, with a lot of modern writers involved with more than one artist, and Mr. Nekkid Lunch has more band connections directly than PA will ever list! And it triggered different music being done and created in the same style that he used to discuss ... which was called 52 stentence pick up ... and the order? ... who cares! ... and you know that the emotional content in that sequence is ... messed up and ... how do you interpret it?

Now discussing vocalists is an issue when you get into some of the Eastern voices, that have far more range, and depth than ANY rock, or opera singer out there ... to the point that almost NONE of them have the guts to try different things in the other countries. And western music is easy for many of these eastern singers because the scale is simple by comparison to their scales and notes!

But let's not get into "preferences" as the dividing line as to what good singing is ... because 95 out of 100 Western singers ... rarely come close!

As for some opera singers ... there are some differences. You can catch Renata Tebaldi and Birgit Nilsson duke it out in Turandot ... and Tebaldi is very soft and smooth, and Nilsson is very powerful and not as smooth and I keep thinking that Nilsson's is more Germanic style of singing, specially Wagner, where the ability to make it through and last out a long time is way more important than otherwise ... most opera singers do not do Wagner, and it becomes an endurance test! Tebaldi, like many Italians is very smooth and clean and it is very much in line with the Italian music, which is expressive and romantic and emotional.

I had a name for the men opera singers, the version of Tosca that we have in Santa Barbara, and he is extremelly smooth, while Pavarotti is almost all power ... and I always thought that he lacked the subtlety that softness could add to singing. He was good, mind you, but not complete for my tastes? Just an example ... I'll find out the name of that other singer and update this post.

Edited by moshkito - April 11 2011 at 18:54
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>