Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVdGG vs Jethro Tull

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Poll Question: ????????????????????????????
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
71 [50.35%]
70 [49.65%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 11:38
Originally posted by refugee refugee wrote:

Originally posted by tary tary wrote:

JETHRO TULL easily!!!

Both are amazing bands, but Jethro Tull is uncomparable!!! Tull's 70s albums are amazingly amazing, they are many great metal bands' favourite band! even Iron Maiden adores them!

Thick As A Brick is the most beautiful progressive rock song ever written!

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/pjah/bdickinson.html

LOL

It's saying "more obscure JT albums", not "the whole JT catalogue".
wjohnd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 12:20
Tull all the way.
Martin Barre beats erm.. who plays guitar for vdgg again?
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 12:33
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by refugee refugee wrote:

Originally posted by tary tary wrote:

JETHRO TULL easily!!!

Both are amazing bands, but Jethro Tull is uncomparable!!! Tull's 70s albums are amazingly amazing, they are many great metal bands' favourite band! even Iron Maiden adores them!

Thick As A Brick is the most beautiful progressive rock song ever written!

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/pjah/bdickinson.html

LOL

It's saying "more obscure JT albums", not "the whole JT catalogue".

My point was that Bruce Dickinson also adores VdGG, so your argument goes both ways.

Just for the record: I love both bands, but VdGG happens to be my favourite band, so they got my vote.

EDIT: "your" instead of "Dayvenkirq’s". Embarrassed

Edited by refugee - June 23 2012 at 12:42
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 17:49
Originally posted by wjohnd wjohnd wrote:

Tull all the way.
Martin Barre beats erm.. who plays guitar for vdgg again?

Likewise here. Good point.
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 18:58
VdGG by the mile.
This night wounds time.
gazagod View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 19:10
can't vote but im going with Van der Graff Generator... though I like JT, they've never been one of my faves and I can't say they ever emotionally jolted me.. made me laugh quite a bit though... the sardonic humor is appreciated... But i prefer the claustrophobic madness of Hammill
we only know that we do not know
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 19:37
By choosing the guitar as your instrument says alot about your lack of creativety and melody Smile
Was a different thing in the late 60s though after Hendrix made the isntrument cool for a while. But after the early 70s the guitar is the last instrument I'd want to learn especially that most people choose guitar as an instrument and that's mainly to pick up chicks. Doesn't matter how crap the music is ;)

Edited by dr prog - June 23 2012 at 19:39
wjohnd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 03:09
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

By choosing the guitar as your instrument says alot about your lack of creativity and melody Smile
Was a different thing in the late 60s though after Hendrix made the instrument cool for a while. But after the early 70s the guitar is the last instrument I'd want to learn especially that most people choose guitar as an instrument and that's mainly to pick up chicks. Doesn't matter how crap the music is ;)

Ah... popular = bad,   an age old cry from the elitist.
Now i'm not saying popular always = good either, but sl*g.ing off the guitar because it has been used to attract girls? Sad and tells me something.. no lets not go there

Edited by wjohnd - June 24 2012 at 03:10
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 03:13

By choosing the guitar as your instrument says alot about your lack of creativety and melody Smile
Was a different thing in the late 60s though after Hendrix made the isntrument cool for a while. But after the early 70s the guitar is the last instrument I'd want to learn especially that most people choose guitar as an instrument and that's mainly to pick up chicks. Doesn't matter how crap the music is ;)

And saxophones go back to at least the 40s, and other instruments like piano or violin even further back in time, so your point is...?
progtapper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 03:42
Yes, I know.
Andy Tillison is a great VdGG fan.
And it's hard to vote against Refugees and Man Erg.

But ... these days ... I'm more into JT.

Last friday I finally received the Stand Up - 3 disc collectors edition.
And who can beat four little cardboard pop-up musicians? LOL

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 06:50

That's simply wrong, I would lend you my recordings of Segovia, Django or Paco de Lucia to show you haven't a clue in this regard.

Wait...picking up chicks is a bad thing? Oh wait, let me guess, in high school you were one of the geeks in band hall with your tuba and a handful of lotion, while  the guys with guitars in rock bands got all the girls.LOL

Edited by The Dark Elf - June 24 2012 at 06:51
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 07:39
What has all this talk about guitar have to do with anything? Though Barre is my favourite guitar player, it's not the guitar in JT, or the lack of it in VDGG, that makes me prefer the former. Flute over saxophone any day, I say.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 20:06
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

That's simply wrong, I would lend you my recordings of Segovia, Django or Paco de Lucia to show you haven't a clue in this regard.

Wait...picking up chicks is a bad thing? Oh wait, let me guess, in high school you were one of the geeks in band hall with your tuba and a handful of lotion, while  the guys with guitars in rock bands got all the girls.LOL

We're talking about music. Not chicks Cool
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 20:56

I realize that "Dr. Prog", but you made the daft proposition that guitarists lack creativity and melody - a definite headscratcher from someone with a doctorate in "progtology" Ermm. I offered three masters of their craft and you made no reply. I would suggest that the ability to "pick up chicks" is a byproduct of good musicianship (one doesn't merely have a guitar sitting around and "voila" you're a chick magnet, although having a Harley does the trick), and it is also a musician's innate need for recognition (a musician without ego is a failed artist).

What exactly have you got against the guitar? It is portable. One can play an entire song with it (unlike a bassoon or a tuba). You can sing while you play. You can add another instrument (I strap a blues harp around my neck). And if you are in a band that at least plays in bars, from personal experience I can tell you, you do have the ability to pick up the ladies. Beyond that, one can play incredibly complex compositions or simple folk tunes, be gritty or lyrical, play metal or downright beautiful melodies on a guitar. As Liebniz would say, "You have the best of all possible worlds".

So who pissed on your plectrum, proggy?
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 22:21

I realize that "Dr. Prog", but you made the daft proposition that guitarists lack creativity and melody - a definite headscratcher from someone with a doctorate in "progtology" Ermm. I offered three masters of their craft and you made no reply. I would suggest that the ability to "pick up chicks" is a byproduct of good musicianship (one doesn't merely have a guitar sitting around and "voila" you're a chick magnet, although having a Harley does the trick), and it is also a musician's innate need for recognition (a musician without ego is a failed artist).

What exactly have you got against the guitar? It is portable. One can play an entire song with it (unlike a bassoon or a tuba). You can sing while you play. You can add another instrument (I strap a blues harp around my neck). And if you are in a band that at least plays in bars, from personal experience I can tell you, you do have the ability to pick up the ladies. Beyond that, one can play incredibly complex compositions or simple folk tunes, be gritty or lyrical, play metal or downright beautiful melodies on a guitar. As Liebniz would say, "You have the best of all possible worlds".

So who pissed on your plectrum, proggy?

I'm talking more about rock guitarists who started after 1975. The pre 75 guitarists in prog bands played like jazz guitarists. That's the way guitar should be played. They just played their bits within a melody. It was never about riff and solos. But they knew how to play a good solo though. Classical guitarists are pretty pure these days too. No influence of 80s, 90s and 00s rock Big smile. But when it comes to electric guitar, i can't stand the sound they get post 1983. The whole concept of guitar just sucks since the mid 80s though. The sound, the image, the control they want to have over a song. If I had a prog band, I'd only apply for a jazz guitarist. Either that or just play simple bits myself Tongue

Edited by dr prog - June 24 2012 at 22:27
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 22:26
^ And why are you writing this?
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 22:29

^ And why are you writing this?

Cos it's the reason why old prog is the only prog Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 22:32
^ Oh, we are talking just about prog. OK.

a musician without ego is a failed artist.

Sounds like a quote said by a wise man. Who said it originally?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - June 24 2012 at 22:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 22:52

a musician without ego is a failed artist.

Sounds like a quote said by a wise man. Who said it originally?

I don't know. Since I am not wise, I must have paraphrased someone. Wink

But George Bernard Shaw once said:

"Hell is full of musical amateurs.
Music is the brandy of the damned."

Not that it has anything to do with anything. I just like the quote.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 23:46
Major Tull-skull here, so you know my vote.  And I don't care who else likes who - it's my vote.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>