Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Doors vs. Deep Purple

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: Discuss
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
51 [51.00%]
40 [40.00%]
9 [9.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 11:44
The Doors
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 11:49
I like both groups a lot, but I like the Doors more. 
Gandalff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 12:20
Deep Purple is complete band. The Doors always lacked any bassist (and 40 years actually their frontman too).

The Doors always sounds too elderly, mainly due to using vintage organs like Vox Continental, Wurlitzer, Gibson. On the other hand I like Hammond sound and Lord is its master, undoubtledly.

Gillan is an excellent singer with a wide range, concededly. Morrison was quite good singer, rather baritone with a expressive blues feeling. His lyrics and his stage presentation are invincible, on the other hand.

Ian Paice is better drummer than John Densmore, Ritchie Blackmore is one of Top Rock guitarists, thus I think surely better than Robby Krieger. Comparing of Glover or Hughes bass skills with Manzarek´s left hand on Fender Rhodes Bass Piano is useless, I mean.Wink

Somebody told above that Doors are more progressive than Purples. OK in entirety, but their eponymous album (and the epic "April" especially) is probably more Prog than the whole Doors´ work.

Conclusion: Deep Purple is my choice!
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 14:02
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Deep Purple were far better instrumentally, and I certainly loved them when I saw them in the 70s (one of the loudest damn concerts I've ever been too), but from a compositional and lyrical point of view, they don't hold a candle to The Doors. No single person best represents the music of the 60s than Jim Morrison.

I pretty much agree with all of this.  never saw purple in Concert though  :)

but  I can't vote against  either because there are so many songs I absolutely love

Lazy
Child in Time

Light My Fire
Riders on the Storm

have to go for the equal option 
Prog On!
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 14:45
Originally posted by Gandalff Gandalff wrote:

Deep Purple is complete band. The Doors always lacked any bassist (and 40 years actually their frontman too).

They recorded the albums with guest bassists, I would have expected you knew that. Wink
LateralMe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 14:47
The Doors, I never enjoyed Deep Purple.
A Flower!?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 15:30
One band that has me scurrying to the off switch on the radio is The Doors. Them and Iggy Pop.Dead

Deep Purple get my vote although anything (other than Iggy PopLOL) versus The Doors would get my vote.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 16:11
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

One band that has me scurrying to the off switch on the radio is The Doors. Them and Iggy Pop.Dead

Deep Purple get my vote although anything (other than Iggy PopLOL) versus The Doors would get my vote.

Well, I knew our tastes are different, but switching off whenever the Doors appear on the radio? They made some truly brilliant songs, and I actually like their short ones too, not only those that have prog length. Your taste really is weird.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 17:06
The Doors by far, never been a big purple fan.
clarkpegasus4001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 18:16
I prefer Purple to the Doors although i'm not really much of a purple fan. 
Tony C.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 18:28

The Doors.
Mista-Gordie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 21:30
Deep Purple for their first albums. I don't like their albums after Deep purple in rock except some songs
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 02:01
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Well, I knew our tastes are different, but switching off whenever the Doors appear on the radio? They made some truly brilliant songs, and I actually like their short ones too, not only those that have prog length. Your taste really is weird.

I suspect the opposite is true and that my taste is rather boring and safe. Never really got The Doors and part of the problem is that there are only about 4 songs of theirs that I'm familiar with:
Light My Fire
Riders On The Storm
City At Night
People Are Strange

Light My Fire is okay I admit. I probably would keep the radio on for that one. Riders gets loads of praise yet Morrison's voice just sounds 'shot' to me and most of the song is Manzarek tinkling away on a piano and the sound of rain in the background.

City At Night gets load of play on Planet Rock but I find it just very dull.
People Are Strange - well that sums me up I guessLOL 

I just find The Doors very underwelming in general and because I only ever hear the same 4 songs on the radio ,makes me wonder why that are considered to be so great in the grand scheme of things.
Gandalff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 02:34
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

They recorded the albums with guest bassists, I would have expected you knew that. Wink
Guest bassists! How ridiculous!LOL
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 03:02
No contest whatsoever, Doors all the way. Jim Morrison is one of the most important people in rock history, and he didn't write smoke on the water.
Gandalff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 03:18
Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim Billy Pilgrim wrote:

No contest whatsoever, Doors all the way. Jim Morrison is one of the most important people in rock history, and he didn't write smoke on the water.
He´d smoked on the water only.Wink
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 04:29

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I suspect the opposite is true and that my taste is rather boring and safe. Never really got The Doors and part of the problem is that there are only about 4 songs of theirs that I'm familiar with:
Light My Fire
Riders On The Storm
City At Night
People Are Strange

Light My Fire is okay I admit. I probably would keep the radio on for that one. Riders gets loads of praise yet Morrison's voice just sounds 'shot' to me and most of the song is Manzarek tinkling away on a piano and the sound of rain in the background.

City At Night gets load of play on Planet Rock but I find it just very dull.
People Are Strange - well that sums me up I guessLOL 

I just find The Doors very underwelming in general and because I only ever hear the same 4 songs on the radio ,makes me wonder why that are considered to be so great in the grand scheme of things.

That "tinkling" has been called one of the best e-piano solos ever by many people who know what they are talking about! And there is a lot of fine guitar and drum work on that song too; Robbie Krieger and John Densmore are very underestimasted as musicxians. Densmore is an excellent drummer with very original ideas,and krieger's scales are surprisingly jazzy for that time., not only in "Eiders On the Storm".
And you never heard "When the Music's Over" or "The End"? Well, here is you chance for that:

But I am almost certain that these two songs won't change your view of the Doors at all, because you look for something else in music which the Doors don't give you, like beautiful melodies and harmonies. You may be surprised, but I love beautiful melodies and harmonies too, though I rarely speak about that (with exceptions, like when I praise Peter Hammill's opera "The Fall of the House of Usher").

But always beauty and nothing but beauty is extremely boring, in my opinion; I seek the wild, the disharmonic, the ugly too, and you don't. Hence for example your disapproval of jazz, where wild and disharmonic is quite usual. And the Doors in these two songs are extremely jazzy for their time; Densmore's drumming is definitely the drumming of a jazz drummer in these two tracks, and so are the scales of Manzarek and Krieger, especially Krieger.

My love of the disharmonic definitely comes from how I grew up with music; I was confronted with both harmony and disharmony at the same time. Krautrock and Symphonic Prog both were on the turntable of my brother, as well as jazz-rock and jazz. And classical music too, though that a bit later, when I was six or seven already. Indian ragas were mixed in too, and had African or Arabian music been easier available at that time I am certain my brother would have listened to that too, and I with him, of course.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
JeanFrame View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 05:10
Such a comparison gave me a jolt; I don't dislike Deep Purple, fine musicians, but so far away from being innovators and trail-blazers (I well remember seeing them at the Reading festival wearing frilly orange shirts and singing "Hush") it's very difficult to understand how they can be put alongside the Doors, who, while not particularly noted for their musicianship - only perhaps Manzarek was a first-rate musician - were definitely completely original, artistic, challenging etc. Despite the irony of the names, it was the Doors who were Deep, not Purple.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 06:09

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Guest bassists! How ridiculous!LOL

It doesn't matter if that's "ridiculous" or not; it's bass guitar you're hearing on their albums, so you'll have to correct your initial statement. Wink
Harold-The-Barrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 09:33
The Doors are by far the better band and get my vote
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>