Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKlaus Schulze and Tangerine Dream in the 80s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Who had better output in the 80s?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [14.81%]
10 [37.04%]
2 [7.41%]
5 [18.52%]
6 [22.22%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 01:33
Personally, I go for Schulze - comparing works like 'Audentity' to 'Hyperborea', I know what excites me more..........well, I can hear which one employs more 'weirdness' and complexity (which are winning factors for me...)......
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 01:42
Yep, although I prefer Tangerine Dream's 80's output, I totally agree with Tom and Dave here - Schulze's `Audentity' is a knockout. I plan on getting the more recent double CD reissue pretty soon!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 02:09
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Like RichardH, I really like `Underwater Sunlight', maybe no longer cutting-edge or particularly deep, but MAN is it lovely and melodic. Some of the guitar solos have David Gilmour written all over them too! In retrospect, I could now do without the `Chik, chika-chi-KAH' vocal sample that was later used on that `Yello - Oh Yeah!' dance song, because it's IMPOSSIBLE now to not think of that when you hear the TD album! Anyway, I listen to `Underwater Sunlight' all the time, it's the perfect pleasant background album to have playing.

Other than that, the `Firestarter' soundtrack is superb, with very nice thick eerie synths. I've got a vile crusty LP of it, and I'm dying for a nice CD remaster. The last lot of CD's were years ago and command a FORTUNE on Ebay, so we need a new affordable reissue.

`Le Parc' is surprisingly nice too! Certainly the last one to bother with so far...unless someone can tell me of any particular albums from then on I should give a try?

I've just recently started getting into the `Live Poland' dble CD and live `Logos' that I just bought, so I'll have to report back on them soon!
I'm lucky enough to have the CD of the Firestarter soundtrack. If you like that then you will almost certainly like Kyoto which has an interesting history as it was recorded around that time but Christope Franke was not involved (just Froese and Schmoelling). Only got released about 10 years ago but its an absolute gem imo.

I wrote a review ages ago but I actually like the album a lot more than I did then. Its a real grower

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 02:20
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I'm lucky enough to have the CD of the Firestarter soundtrack. If you like that then you will almost certainly like Kyoto which has an interesting history as it was recorded around that time but Christope Franke was not involved (just Froese and Schmoelling). Only got released about 10 years ago but its an absolute gem imo.

I wrote a review ages ago but I actually like the album a lot more than I did then. Its a real grower

Very lucky man to have that CD, the cheapest I see it on Ebay is usually $60 upwards! That and a few of their other soundtrack albums badly need an affordable reissue!

I actually think `Firestarter' blows away stuff like `Thief'. There's also a sci-fi movie soundtrack I've heard (I forget the name off the top of my head) that also goes for a lot of money, and the music on that one is pretty solid too....to be honest I would rate them higher than some of the TD studio albums of that decade!

The vinyl I have of `Firestarter' is in vile condition, and the cover is all torn. I bought it dirt cheap years ago, but I'd dearly love a proper pristine CD!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2012 at 03:19
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Very lucky man to have that CD, the cheapest I see it on Ebay is usually $60 upwards! That and a few of their other soundtrack albums badly need an affordable reissue!

I actually think `Firestarter' blows away stuff like `Thief'. There's also a sci-fi movie soundtrack I've heard (I forget the name off the top of my head) that also goes for a lot of money, and the music on that one is pretty solid too....to be honest I would rate them higher than some of the TD studio albums of that decade!

The vinyl I have of `Firestarter' is in vile condition, and the cover is all torn. I bought it dirt cheap years ago, but I'd dearly love a proper pristine CD!
The quality of the CD isn' that amazing so I wouldn't be too envious. You should perhaps consider getting the DVD of the film. The music works perfectly with the images which at times (especially the final sequence) are very impressive. Its quite cheap to get here but you would need to check if it was available for your region obviously.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12