Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any good Pink Floyd -like bands?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 12:33
Jonesy's last album Dark Matter is total Floyd.
Shake & bake.
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 23:53
I heard a band once that sounded sort of like Pink Floyd but I don't remember their name. Glad I could help!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 18:39
Originally posted by jhunnoh jhunnoh wrote:

ASTRA-The Weirding and The Black Chord.  You can't go wrong.

^^^GREAT band! Both albums are two of the best prog releases of recent years.
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 14:14
Check out the album "Rain Falls In Grey" by the band Radio Massacre International. It's got a Pink Floyd vibe to it. 

I also really like PF member David Gilmour's solo album "On An Island" (Rick Wright also plays on it).

As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, the first three Alan Parsons Project albums ("Tales Of Mystery And Imagination", "I Robot" and "Pyramid") often sound similar to Pink Floyd too.

Edited by King Only - May 19 2013 at 14:18
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 15:04
Not properly floyd-ish, but this album features Nick Mason and Rick Wright, is produced by Nick Mason and it seems that also Gilmour has taken part in the recording.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 19:25
Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

Check out the album "Rain Falls In Grey" by the band Radio Massacre International. It's got a Pink Floyd vibe to it. 
I also really like PF member David Gilmour's solo album "On An Island" (Rick Wright also plays on it).
As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, the first three Alan Parsons Project albums ("Tales Of Mystery And Imagination", "I Robot" and "Pyramid") often sound similar to Pink Floyd too.

But "On an Island" only feature Wright in one song, if I remember well. At the best on 2 or 3 songs. However, there's the live album "Live in Gdansk", and the DVD "Remember that Night", which feature the whole "On an Island", plus several Pink Floyd classics, and those ones do have Wright on the whole performance... making them almost Pink Floyd releases. Plus, the songs from "On an Island" are played with more energy, making them for me more enjoyable. Oh yeah, and the version of Echoes is really wonderful. Plus, we may say this live releases are the last farewell for Wright
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 20:36

Nice pick, very Floydish (which is unsurprising seeing as it's a tribute to the recently departed Syd) with a lot more guitar than RMI usually uses.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 11:33
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

But "On an Island" only feature Wright in one song, if I remember well. At the best on 2 or 3 songs. However, there's the live album "Live in Gdansk", and the DVD "Remember that Night", which feature the whole "On an Island", plus several Pink Floyd classics, and those ones do have Wright on the whole performance... making them almost Pink Floyd releases. Plus, the songs from "On an Island" are played with more energy, making them for me more enjoyable. Oh yeah, and the version of Echoes is really wonderful. Plus, we may say this live releases are the last farewell for Wright

I love the "Live In Gdansk" release too, I have the 5-disc version which has some extra tracks on it. Watching the DVDs is very inspiring for me... Gilmour and Wright were over 60 but still doing their best, playing with a lot of emotion.  

I love Rick Wrights "Wet Dream" album too, it's a pity he didn't release more albums like "Wet Dream".
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 21:15

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I love the "Live In Gdansk" release too, I have the 5-disc version which has some extra tracks on it. Watching the DVDs is very inspiring for me... Gilmour and Wright were over 60 but still doing their best, playing with a lot of emotion.  
I love Rick Wrights "Wet Dream" album too, it's a pity he didn't release more albums like "Wet Dream".

Yeah, but Broken China was very nice too. And have you heard "David Gilmour on Concert", a semi acoustic Gilmour release, with some nice arrangements of old songs, plus, it has one song with Wright too, his own "Breakthrough", which played by both Gilmour and Wright (and Floyd's usual sax player, just forgot his name right now), it sounds like a true Floyd song. I'm still hoping that Wright's last intended album, which he didn't have a chance to finish, would come out somehow some day... but I guess it's really kind of out of the question really.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 21:18
The guitarist in Riverside, Piotr Grudzinski has some epic David Gilmour like solo's, especially in the albu
Second life syndrome. It's awesome. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 21:23
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Try The Future Kings Of England very spacey very good band.

I agree! FKOE are one of those bands that deserve much more exposure (like iamthemorning, for instance, but in a diffferent musical vein). Certainly can hear strains of  Echoes-era Floyd in there.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
buncombe View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buncombe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 17:04
I made an account simply because the Vancouver band Black Mountain has not been mentioned...easily the best floyd-esque band out there IMHO. In addition to Floyd/Hawkwind influences, some of the guitar work reminds me of early Led Zeppelin/Black Sabbath (nice combo btw). Here are a few tasty morsels:

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 00:07
Probably been mentioned before, but, PULSAR.
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 01:18

Freedom To Glide: Rain (UK-2013).
http://freedomtoglide.bandcamp.com/
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 09:57
I'll second the band Djam Karet. Also, I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know if they've been mentioned yet but you definitely should check out the band ELOY. There's also a band called Negative Zone who seem rather Floydish(early Floyd)but I don't know them too well. Anyway, if you like the mid period Floyd like WYWH or Animals then check out mid to late seventies Eloy in particular. 
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 10:16
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

I'll second the band Djam Karet. Also, I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know if they've been mentioned yet but you definitely should check out the band ELOY. There's also a band called Negative Zone who seem rather Floydish(early Floyd)but I don't know them too well. Anyway, if you like the mid period Floyd like WYWH or Animals then check out mid to late seventies Eloy in particular. 

Negative Zone channels Dark Side of the Moon; I did an instrumental mix of some of the tracks from their album:

http://soundcloud.com/jude111/negzo-dj-mic-dsotm
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 10:26
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Negative Zone channels Dark Side of the Moon; I did an instrumental mix of some of the tracks from their album:

http://soundcloud.com/jude111/negzo-dj-mic-dsotm

Definitely!
I forgot about Negative Zone, I don't know how many albums they have, I have only the debut and it is very Floydian.
Excellent stuff really.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 10:47
One does wonder about the value of answering a question that was asked 2½ years ago by an OP who visited us for a mere 7 days and was never seen again.

Still, it's always nice to list random albums that we know regardless of any practical reason for doing it.
What?
Prog Snob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Snob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 10:55
Originally posted by yanch yanch wrote:

German Band RPWL started as Floyd tribute band and then moved to their own material. Very good band. 

This
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 11:17
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

One does wonder about the value of answering a question that was asked 2½ years ago by an OP who visited us for a mere 7 days and was never seen again.

Still, it's always nice to list random albums that we know regardless of any practical reason for doing it.

LOL
I didn't notice that. But anyway it is still a good chance to blab about our favorite albums.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>