Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnother A to Z combo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which pair of acts do it for you? (see opening post for samples)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.56%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.56%]
1 [5.56%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [11.11%]
1 [5.56%]
2 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [27.78%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.56%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another A to Z combo
    Posted: April 28 2011 at 21:41
A second one like my former Which A to Z combo do you order?

I wanted to cover various options that I would have liked to do on the last poll.  Again, these are based on my collection, or what I can access of it since I have music on a computer that needs fixing, and music that I like (I cheated with Jazz Q, by the way). Mention favourite albums of these if possible.

Here are the options in the last poll:

Art Zoyd and Area 1
1 [4.55%]
3 [13.64%]
1 [4.55%]
1 [4.55%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.55%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.55%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.55%]
4 [18.18%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [13.64%]
1 [4.55%]
2 [9.09%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.55%]
0 [0.00%]

This time I have gone outside of music in PA, though the great majority is in PA, and will vote for ones not in PA  -- the great Italians Macchi and Morricone.  I do think them very suitable for this poll even if they are not included in PA's database. That said, I have made efforts to stick to ones in PA.  With S, neither are in PA either, but not for any lack of trying on my part, so shoot me.  Okay, maybe I should have addeds Sotos which is a fave of mine and in PA, but I did want to go a little more outside of the usual suspects in that case. Edit: Don't know if either J is in PA either, but both have merits.

Feel free to vote even if you've only heard some samples of both options (feel free to vote based on the music I am posting).

I'm just starting with youtube tracks (not necessarily the most representative, and not necessarily my faves, but I'm trying for neat ones of what is already available at youtube -- making vids and uploading is time consuming):

A:  A greeat one from Art Bears:

And a great 1968 track from Axelrod:

B:

Donald Byrd (love this track):

Boredoms (hope this doesn't leave people bored):

C:

I so love this Cardiacs track (blew me away on first listen):

From Chris Cutler and Lutz Glandien's Domestic Stories, a fave album of mine:

D:

DAAU (lovely piece of a great group that doesn't get much attention):

Dzyan (a terrific group that had somehow eleuded my attention until quite recently):

E:

Etron Fou Leloubland:

Edier Stellaire (one of my absolute fave groups in Zeuhl):

F:

Far Corner:

Luc Ferrari (I love the album Sociiete II):\

Oh the embedding has been disabled, so here's a direct link to youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqrzNOUyvls

G:

John Greaves et al (the title-track from Kew Rhone which is a particular favourite album of mine included in the Canterbury Scene category and certainly one of my most played  albums over the last five years):

Alain Goragueur (I adore the soundtrack to La Planete Sauvage -- was gonna do the sw**ky one but found this one on youtube faster and love it too):

H:

Henry Cow (this should need no introduction -- Western Culture is a great album):

Hellebore (Il y a Des Jours is one of my faves in PA):

I:

It's A Beautiful Day's adaptation of Vince Wallace's Bombay Calling (I much prefer it to the later Deep Purple's Child in Time which was inspired by the IaBD version  -- I've heard a, I think, better version of it):

Itoiz (from Ezekial -- I used to like the album more than I now do)

J:

Bob James (One is  a terrific Fusion album)

K:

Khan.  I love Space Shanty, but it's a hard album for me to listen to now because I was playing it a lot when dealing with family tragedy:

Kultivator (very good album, I think, which I haven't listened to for years):

L:

Perry Leopold (from an album I adore, Christian Lucifer, which works very well with the other L being Lucifer's Friend)

M: M was my choice out of a lot of music I love (and have to really thank someone for recommending Macchi to me)

Ennio Morricone

Egisto Macchi:

Janko Nilovic

Janko Nilovic (I ADORE Rythmes Contemporains -- I mean I went absolutely gaga for this album.  One of the best recommendations I've received).  I had tried to upload a good quality version of ünderground Session" long before, but somethow I failed in splitting it right (different mov program). Anyway, here is that track split badly:

And Nucleus (N is very strong for me):

O for later (rather do wish I'd gone for the other Os mentioned)

Pierrot Lunaire

I want to upload Julian Priesters Prologue Love, Love'since I love it, but this is a good one:

Q

R

William Sheller (Lux Aeterna is one of my favourite albums of all):

Lalo Schifrin (first track from Rock Requiem and I wish I'd uploaded a different track even though I like this):

T

U

Urban Sax (a  particular fave track of mine that I uploaded)

V

Jean-Claude Vannier (I used to listen to L'énfant assassin des mouches incessantly, possibly my fave album accepted into Eclectic, and uploaded this)

Van der Graaf Generator's Lemmings (yeah, at least this one I think most proggers here would know already):

W

MAl Waldron (will have to upload music from The Call - brilliant)

Lenny White's Venusian Summer suite (one of my absolute faves in Fusion):

X

Y

Yonin Bayashi (not a particular fave from Japan of mine, but I do like it)

Z

Was going to do more now, but life calls.  Hopefully I'll get a track up for each eventually.  Feel free to vote based on youtube tracks (I just ask that people try to hear something of both choices in an option -- check youtube for the other choice if you like one in an option already but don't know the other).

Edited by Logan - April 29 2011 at 20:54
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 21:49
A lot more bands/musicians I'm unfamiliar with this time 'round.  Not sure I know enough to vote, although I'm liking the look of C and E
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 21:53
Yeah, a bit too many unknown to me for me to vote this time.  More "new" artists to check out though, that's always a plus. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 22:10
I don't expect people to have heard whole albums by both acts in an option to vote, nor to be familiar with many options to vote (not that the actual poll results matter to me anyway) -- of course youtube is a great resource.  If I have the time, and there seems to be interest in tracks I embed, I will try to link to youtube tracks that I like for every act over time (in various cases I'd upload music to youtube). A lot of great music from these guys, in my opinion of course.

Edited by Logan - April 28 2011 at 22:27
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 22:37
Of the pairs where i know both artists ONE SHOT and OPUS-5 along with XAAL and XING SA  stand head and shoulders above the rest.Love those two pairs.
Have to go with the former but it's a tough call.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 23:08
Those are good pairs, thanks.

EDIT: I was doing youtube tracks in this post, but it makes sense to do them in the first post.

Edited by Logan - April 28 2011 at 23:19
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 01:26
That Donald Byrd track is too wonderful
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 01:59
Art David
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 02:05

DAAU and Dzyan is the only pair I know Ermm
A strong one certainly.

Besides that one I only know half pairs so sorry no vote
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 06:32
With a lot of these pairs I only know one artist, with the rest I dont know either, so no vote. 
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 12:09
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Art David

That David Axelrod album is a fave of mine from 1968, and I love Art Bears.  Glad to see them get recognition.  I think Earth Rot is the Axelrod album I've listened to most, though his debut is what got me into him.

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

That Donald Byrd track is too wonderful

Glad you like it.  Thanks.

Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

DAAU and Dzyan is the only pair I know Ermm
A strong one certainly.

Besides that one I only know half pairs so sorry no vote

That is to my mind a very strong one.  Feel free to vote based on the youtube clips I'm posting over time.  I don't care about the poll results -- it's just my way of exposing others to music I love and discussing the options.

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

With a lot of these pairs I only know one artist, with the rest I dont know either, so no vote. 

What I'm hoping some will do is find at least one name they really like in the list  then check out music from the other in the option and share their thoughts -- I do plan to have youtube clips for all over time, and some I will want to upload but making vids is time-consuming (since I would hardly expect people to check out all of the tracks I post that they don't know since that would be a lot of listening).  And I hope others will check youtube to share tracks, if available, that they really like.

Don't worry about not voting if you haven't heard that much -- I just ask that people at least try to hear some music either through clips I post or by checking youtube themselves of ones they're unfamiliar with from options and mention what they do like (or don't like).

The poll is more a means for me to list the music in an orderly fashion to aid sharing personal likes.  I really am interested in people's impressions, good or bad.

Edited by Logan - April 29 2011 at 12:16
Psychedelist View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 12:47
I know less than half of those, but I go with Henry Cow and Hellebore. I love Henry Cow and Hellebore's album is just incredible. The perfect avant-prog album. This album probably makes my top five. I also love the A (although the only Axelrod's album I've heard is the debut), E, G and especially V pairs (Vannier's debut is brilliant and the second album is also great). For O, I'd love to see Opus Avantra and October Equus, that would have been my third choice after H and V.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 12:51
Originally posted by Psychedelist Psychedelist wrote:

I know less than half of those, but I go with Henry Cow and Hellebore. I love Henry Cow and Hellebore's album is just incredible. The perfect avant-prog album. This album probably makes my top five. I also love the A (although the only Axelrod's album I've heard is the debut), E, G and especially V pairs (Vannier's debut is brilliant and the second album is also great). For O, I'd love to see Opus Avantra and October Equus, that would have been my third choice after H and V.

Those would have been darned good Os. I'm saving those for part three -- seriously.  Though the next time I do one it will have to be in general Music Discussions because too much will not be in PA to hold it in this forum.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 15:20
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

What I'm hoping some will do is find at least one name they really like in the list  then check out music from the other in the option and share their thoughts -- I do plan to have youtube clips for all over time, and some I will want to upload but making vids is time-consuming (since I would hardly expect people to check out all of the tracks I post that they don't know since that would be a lot of listening).  And I hope others will check youtube to share tracks, if available, that they really like.

Don't worry about not voting if you haven't heard that much -- I just ask that people at least try to hear some music either through clips I post or by checking youtube themselves of ones they're unfamiliar with from options and mention what they do like (or don't like).

The poll is more a means for me to list the music in an orderly fashion to aid sharing personal likes.  I really am interested in people's impressions, good or bad.

Most bands you mention in these polls tends to have something that I could enjoy. The problem has always been finding the bloody things for a reasonable price!LOL
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Gandalff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 15:56
Oh my god! This combo produces even more screeching noises than the first one!Head on wall
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 15:57
Originally posted by Gandalff Gandalff wrote:

Oh my god! This combo produces even more screeching noises than the first one!Head on wall

LOL
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 18:37
No idea who most of these people are!
I feel so lame, but no vote. Ouch
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 20:50
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

No idea who most of these people are!
I feel so lame, but no vote. Ouch

I don't expect people to already know the options -- I wanted to expose people to music I care about so that, hopefully, more people get to know them a bit and really hopefully enjoy them.  That said, my tastes aren't mainstream progger, so I wouldn't expect most to enjoy most of the music I post here. I hope to have youtube vids for all of them up ere long.  Though really poll results don't matter to me, I'm more interested in hearing people's impressions of music by acts included in the poll (good or bad), I'd appreciate it if people would take the time to vote based on listening to some of the vids I embed in the first post.  There are far too many for me to expect  anyone to bother listening to all of them, but I find if one sits through 15 seconds one might hear if a piece is something one might want to listen to all the way through.

Aside from sharing music that interest me with others who are new to it and may like it, and getting their impressions and into some discussion about the music, it's also a way to share my musical interests so that more people will be able to make good recommendations to me since a lot of my very favourite music was recommended to me by people who knew what I like and like what I know.

Edited by Logan - April 29 2011 at 20:52
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 22:15

Screeching noises you say?  Well then, I'll have to make it a priority to check them out.  Which would you say were the screechiest, if I may ask?
Gandalff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 03:22
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Screeching noises you say?  Well then, I'll have to make it a priority to check them out.  Which would you say were the screechiest, if I may ask?
Oh, I mean Logan´s combo. Maybe defective lamp? Or transistor? Maybe cold link...Wink

Edited by Gandalff - April 30 2011 at 03:25
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>