Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy don't most people love our beloved music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 20:49
Originally posted by tarkus1980 tarkus1980 wrote:

While I generally don't care for the "prog is great, pop sucks" mentality, I'll bite.  Most people who claim to like music don't actually like to listen to music.  They like music that functions as light background while they socialize or work or run.  It's just one of those things.

I'm not sure about most, but I can certainly agree with this for many. The problem is when people think there's something wrong with this and the music they listen to. "Serious music fans" like pop music too. 
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 20:50
I had someone once say that "it feels like something is missing."  By that, I assume, he means how the structure feels different without loads of hooks and such.
ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 21:07
Pop doesn't suck, unless it gets stuck... Pop that progresses is great! (I am thinking of groups such as Asia and Elton John)
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 21:08
Originally posted by Eärendil Eärendil wrote:

I had someone once say that "it feels like something is missing."  By that, I assume, he means how the structure feels different without loads of hooks and such.

As the Emperor Joseph II once told Mozart: "Your work is ingenious. It's quality work. And there are simply too many
notes, that's all. Just cut a few and it will be perfect." Wink
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Thommy Rock View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 21:30
I can get my cooks moving to "Spirit of the radio", faintly humming along to "I know what I like", but 3 minutes into "Roundabout" they're losing track of orders. The it's back to Lady Gaga Musicworld...
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible" FZ
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 21:46
Dang, Henners went to work on this thread.

Also, I have seen this done before. Do we really want everyone to love prog? Wouldn't that take away our individuality? I know I wouldn't want that.
MoodyRush View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 22:19
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

It kinda sucks.

This! LOL

In seriousness, prog is long-winded, not easily digestible, and perhaps the most poignant point, everyone has different taste! otherwise everyone would like the same stuff. And though it is fun to be unique in liking prog, I sure would like to find SOMEBODY who lives near me who likes prog... Cry
Follow me down to the valley below.
Moonlight is bleeding from out of your soul.
-Lazarus
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 22:19
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Also, I have seen this done before. Do we really want everyone to love prog? Wouldn't that take away our individuality? I know I wouldn't want that.

Doesn't matter, really. Whole droves of folk loved prog in the 70s before donning leisure suits and wide collar floral polyester shirts and going off to the disco, which was right before they got mohawks, pierced their lips with safety pins and snarled like Johnny Rotten. I know dozens of people who actually followed each and every musical fad like they would change their underwear, which was usually daily. Stick with what you like. It doesn't matter who follows.

I am reminded of the words of the great philosopher, Frank Vincent Zappa, who once said:

Do you know what you are?
You are what you is
You is what you am
(A cow don't make ham...)
You ain't what you're not
So see what you got
You are what you is
An' that's all it 'tis
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 22:24
If prog was on the radio, everyone would like it Big smile
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 22:31
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Doesn't matter, really. Whole droves of folk loved prog in the 70s before donning leisure suits and wide collar floral polyester shirts and going off to the disco, which was right before they got mohawks, pierced their lips with safety pins and snarled like Johnny Rotten. I know dozens of people who actually followed each and every musical fad like they would change their underwear, which was usually daily. Stick with what you like. It doesn't matter who follows.

I am reminded of the words of the great philosopher, Frank Vincent Zappa, who once said:

You are what you is
You is what you am
So see what you got
You are what you is
An' that's all it 'tis

I still wouldn't want to be part of the mainstream music crowd. That would take a bunch of me from me.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 22:32

You are what you is
You is what you am
So see what you got
You are what you is
An' that's all it 'tis

I should listen to more Zappa.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 22:43

You are what you is
You is what you am
So see what you got
You are what you is
An' that's all it 'tis

I still wouldn't want to be part of the mainstream music crowd. That would take a bunch of me from me.

Once upon a time, prog was relatively mainstream. It was delightful growing up in the 70s, partly because the drugs were better...ummm....but that's not my point. In Detroit, for instance, we had three album-oriented-rock radio stations playing whole albums and album sides, and I even recall one, WWWW, going quadrophonic and playing the quad version of Aqualung in its entirety (my friend had a Marantz quad stereo, which was very cool back then). They used to play Rush and Deep Purple on AM STATIONS! It was a remarkable time to be just getting into music. Sadly, there isn't really anything to equate to it now. Maybe the air was different back then or something.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 22:46

Maybe it was better then, but I'm very content with what the old bands gave us and what the new bands are giving.

Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 23:00

Maybe it was better then, but I'm very content with what the old bands gave us and what the new bands are giving.

Why have radio when you got the internet? You can listen to whatever you want whenever you want.
Mosis View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 23:08
probably because of arrogant, condescending fans like the op

prog music is just music. it doesn't make you smarter for liking it, nor does liking pop make you dumber. many of the bands on this site are cheesy, silly, contrived, or just plain boring. go listen to some lady gaga and get over yourselves.

not to mention there's more to music than just "prog" or not (whatever that means. many bands on here are not progressive in any sense of the word). go to an electronic music festival to see what can really be done with sound.

Edited by Mosis - May 15 2011 at 23:13
Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 23:09
I think the reason for prog not being loved by most people is fairly obvious, it's a nerd's genre! Who else would listen to 40 minute songs about wizards and kings? Others are enjoying their Linkin Park and Lady Gaga, but only we realize that music is only as brilliant as it is pretentious and excessiveTongue 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 23:39
Originally posted by Mosis Mosis wrote:

prog music is just music. it doesn't make you smarter for liking it, nor does liking pop make you dumber. many of the bands on this site are cheesy, silly, contrived, or just plain boring. go listen to some lady gaga and get over yourselves.

Some music does make you dumb, it seems. Here is a study of SAT scores (and the music the students listened to) done by Virgil Griffith, creator of Wiki-Scanner and a Cal-Tech grad. It seems that those students that listened to L'il Wayne scored an average SAT of 889, while those that listened to Pink Floyd scored an average of 1120. The average SAT score overall was 1000-1100. Of course, listening to Beethoven was off the charts at an average of 1371.

Of course, the study does not take into account societal differences, economic disparities or other variations in educational achievement. But it is funnier than hell.

In addition, there is a direct correlation with brain function and classical music known as The Mozart Effect, which shows that listeners have a higher spatial-temporal reasoning ability at task completions over the short term. There is also evidence that shows that training in classical music promotes long term development of the brain, particularly in children who have begun playing prior to age 7...

What has this got to do with progressive music? Not a damn thing. I just thought it was interesting.

Edited by The Dark Elf - May 15 2011 at 23:42
hobocamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 23:44
Are you kidding? If you read the reviews and spend any time in the forums you'll realize we don't even like our music.
JesusisLord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 23:55
Prog is personal.......While with others, I can tolerate most genres.....when by myself, i disappear into my own world of Prog.....I do not expect nor care if others do not  like the music i enjoy, nor am i suprised if others cannot appreciate progressive music,because, let's be honest,  some of it is pretty weird, Yet, for me, Prog is mine and I love it.......
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. Phillipians 2:11
Mosis View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 00:56

Originally posted by Mosis Mosis wrote:

Some music does make you dumb, it seems. Here is a study of SAT scores (and the music the students listened to) done by Virgil Griffith, creator of Wiki-Scanner and a Cal-Tech grad. It seems that those students that listened to L'il Wayne scored an average SAT of 889, while those that listened to Pink Floyd scored an average of 1120. The average SAT score overall was 1000-1100. Of course, listening to Beethoven was off the charts at an average of 1371.

Of course, the study does not take into account societal differences, economic disparities or other variations in educational achievement. But it is funnier than hell.

In addition, there is a direct correlation with brain function and classical music known as The Mozart Effect, which shows that listeners have a higher spatial-temporal reasoning ability at task completions over the short term. There is also evidence that shows that training in classical music promotes long term development of the brain, particularly in children who have begun playing prior to age 7...

What has this got to do with progressive music? Not a damn thing. I just thought it was interesting.

correlation does not imply causation, buddy. take a stats class. i work with geniuses that listen to nothing but 80s synth pop.

the mozart effect is bullsh*t:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1348/026151002166433/abstract
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>