Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTranscendence (Canada) for Tech/Extreme

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transcendence (Canada) for Tech/Extreme
    Posted: May 16 2011 at 12:44

Transcendence from Canada released a very good prog metal/doom album called Eternal Stream back in 1996 on Gaia Productions. That was the last time we ever heard about this band. I got some letters, but that's it. 

I got the album and can provide the evalution team with bio and sound samples when requested. 

I therefore suggest them for evaluation.

tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 14:46
You're talking about that band: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Transcendence/1015 ?
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 14:51
Yes, that's them.
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 14:53
Well, you know where we hang out Smile
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2011 at 17:54
So what happened to this one then? The only Transcendence I can find on progfreak.com is Crimson Glory's wonderful album of that name (which IS in our database, of course).

This particular band 'Transcendence' recorded two albums - the "Eternal Stream" one mentioned in the o.p., and another more obscure one called "Labyrinth" in 1999. I haven't heard Labyrinth, but on the evidence of "Eternal Stream" this band certainly sounds as though it deserves a shot in prog metal.

They actually disbanded as Transcendence in 2003 and regrouped in 2004, with three of the original Transcendence members still present, as 'Trance Of Mine', releasing an excellent album that year called "Reflections" (also on Gaia), which to me sounds like female-fronted gothic metal with post rock undertones, and this band could also be worthy of an audition on here imho.

You can hear all ten of the songs on "Reflections" via Trance Of Mine's myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/tranceofmine - they state their influences as Lacuna Coil, The Gathering, Evanescence, Porcupine Tree, Tool , A Perfect Circle & Tea Party.

There was also another rather excellent prog metal band called Transcendence from Dallas, Texas, - who gave us a wonderful album called "The Meridian Project" back in 2001, but that's another story entirely...(review here for anyone interested: http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Transcendence/The_Meridian_Project/13376/Metalwontdie).
(Not to be confused with a band called 'Transcendence' from Arlington, Texas, who changed their name to 'Godfear', and did three full albums between 1994 and 1999...there have in fact been no less than seven metal bands with the name 'Transcendence' over the years, so it gets even more confusing: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Transcendence/more - and that doesn't include the alternative rock band of that name formed by Ed Hale in New York City in 2000: http://www.myspace.com/transcendence!)

Transcendence (band 1 - the subject of this thread) "Eternal Stream".

For more samples, I'm sure torodd will be more than willing to oblige. Smile

Regarding Trance Of Mine, the band 'Transcendence (band 1) became: - here's a decent history article, with some mp3 samples: http://www.metal-observer.com/articles.php?lid=1&sid=2&id=7760

Trance Of Mine "Reflections" album review and interview with singer Isabel Plant (excellent article!): http://www.musicaldiscoveries.com/reviews/tom.htm

Best source of music samples is the band's myspace page though.

By the way - beware the facebook page you will find if you 'google' Trance Of Mine, with the "Reflections" album cover as its profile pic, and also the four vids on YouTube which use it - they are misleading to say the least, and simply lead you to modern disco type "trance" music Dead

I reckon both these bands could be added, either separately or as one entry, since they are to all intents and purposes the same band.

A separate topic will follow for the other excellent 'Transcendence' prog metal band, who gave us "The Meridian Project", all in due course...Thumbs Up

Edited by yam yam - October 23 2011 at 18:05
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2011 at 06:45

I think Torodd missed my invite to drop his link to the music in our team thread...
Did a quick scan and didn't hear much prog. A bit like Madder Mortem before they went prog.
The Eternal Stream track above even sounds like a demo.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2011 at 07:29
I unified the two threads (there was no need for a second, and it actually can be detrimental to the suggestion). Karl, can you look over the new samples David posted?

Ignore the above.

Edited by harmonium.ro - October 24 2011 at 09:11
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2011 at 09:00
I'm a bit confused as to why the two threads have been unified since they are for entirely separate bands, with no connection whatsoever other than sharing the same name. The new samples will not help with evaluating torodd's original suggestion since they aren't from that band. The only sample so far for the originally suggested band is the single YouTube vid available for them which I included in my first post, (actually track four, "Beyond Soaring Winds" from their album 'Eternal Stream'). As stated in the post, they only did one album as 'Transcendence' before reforming and changing their name to 'Trance Of Mine', with a somewhat different musical style. For more samples of their original 'Eternal Stream' album we will need torodd to help out (or I can upload the album myself to Karl via pm). Based on Karl's comment above though, I can't see them being added to prog metal any time soon, since the rest of the album isn't that much different really, apart from being somewhat slower paced and more atmospheric in places, and production wasn't its strongest point. I would be interested to hear what torodd himself might have to add now that his thread has been re-awakened though. I still feel that these two posts really need evaluating independently as two separate threads - 'Transcendence' band 1 (torodds original suggestion) and 'Trance Of Mine' as one thread (since they are both essentially the same core of musicians) and 'Transcendence' band 2 (a completely separate project from Dallas, Texas involving a totally unconnected group of musicians) as another thread entirely.  Confused
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2011 at 09:07
Sorry David, I didn't notice the band you suggested was a different one. I'll split back the two threads now.

BTW, great new avatar!
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2011 at 09:33
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Sorry David, I didn't notice the band you suggested was a different one. I'll split back the two threads now.

BTW, great new avatar!

No worries Alex! - Glad you like the avatar! 'Yam Yam' is actually a nickname that the rest of the UK uses for people like me from the industrial West Midlands (also known as 'The Black Country', because of the smoke that used to hang over it from all the foundries it once had!). The nickname arose because we have a slightly unusual accent! LOL
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2011 at 14:30

I know it as "the Black Belt", whenever I need to go to UK for work it's always there.
Accent you say? You never LOL
It's always fun when I come to face people there with my foreign scholarly London accent Embarrassed
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2011 at 15:21
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

I know it as "the Black Belt", whenever I need to go to UK for work it's always there.
Accent you say? You never LOL
It's always fun when I come to face people there with my foreign scholarly London accent Embarrassed
Yow'm allus welcum up 'ere aer kid! Gerra pint 'a Bonks's dahn ya, mar mate!, It's ok fer yow posh un's from dahn saerth thow - it ay aer forlt if we cor spake proper! Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply