Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
26 [38.24%]
42 [61.76%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 13:24
When I first got the Khan album, the only artist I knew about was Hillage. But fairly quickly I began thinking that the keyboard work was just gorgeous. Maybe my favorite key work in all of prog, which is obviously saying something. But I never thought "Wow this guy is really technical." or anything regarding left-brain playing.

Most of the rest of Stewart's work I think like a musician, appreciating the choices, impressed with his prowess. I think I like Egg the most of the other Stewart material because they make no bones about the fact that they're just pushing the limits of experimentation for the sake of experimentation.

Some of the NH and Hatfield stuff is so fusion-y that again I'm thinking as a musician and a critic, amazed at the work but less emotionally moved.

The Khan album is remarkably easy to listen to but still has alot of odd time signatures, composed lines. It sounds like a big jam but it's so much more. First and foremost it's a spacey journey. It actually takes work for me to detach and analyze it. That's a good thing.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 13:39
Gotcha.  I inquired further because I've never considered Dave to be a tremendously "experimental" guy; his compositions bear that out, I think; also because NH fell apart in part because most of the group wanted to go in an experimental "free" direction and Dave didn't want that.  Agreed that Egg is the most experimental of the lot but I always thought that was mostly Mont Campbell's doing, although obviously Stewart had the capacity and inclination as a player to execute those concepts.

I guess the other thing is compared to Henry Cow and some of my other favs these bands don't come across as too avant-garde.  Tongue
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 13:56
Egg can be experimental in almost prog-metal way. Intentionally odd time signatures. Angular but composed lines. It's the opposite of avant in many ways because it's calculated and math-y where most avant is free form and spontaneous.

It's an old schema but I think of music having both left and right brain components. Where Dream Theater is very left brain and say Ash Ra Tempel is far right. My favorite music pulls on both and Khan is a great example of that.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 15:23
Much as I enjoy Space Shanty, and it is a very nice album, choosing Can is a no-brainer for me.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 08:04
Khan  .... no Khantest !
Prog On!
Mr Greeen Genes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 21:31
CAN!!!!!

I'd like Khan a lot more if they had a different vocalist.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 22:10
Haven't had the pleasure of hearing Khan yet so no vote. Love Can to pieces though.
Jazzywoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2011 at 21:26
I love both...but Can gets my vote.  Way better musically for me, as I enjoy their music way more.

QuestionableScum View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2011 at 22:13
Khan are good, but Can are great..
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 17:35
prefer can the can by Susy Quatro, ooops....Embarrassed  though i still was on the glitter rock Topic.........

Edited by jean-marie - May 30 2011 at 06:12
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 13:11
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Haven't had the pleasure of hearing Khan yet so no vote. Love Can to pieces though.
This
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 15:33
I never realize that the arch enemy of Captain Kirk had a recording contract. Tongue

Can.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 20:41
canned heat?
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 10:20
Khan's Space Shanty is very good, but hey - one album compared to the whole Can material ...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 16:51
Fish Rising is quite better than Khan ( and Dave Stewart still is there),anyway any Hillage album is a bit better than Khan,it was a good beginning, no more
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 18:37
Originally posted by jean-marie jean-marie wrote:

Fish Rising is quite better than Khan ( and Dave Stewart still is there),anyway any Hillage album is a bit better than Khan,it was a good beginning, no more

Just a  matter of taste, but I much preferred Space Shanty to Fish Rising.  I was expecting to like Fish Rising much more than I did since I loved Space Shanty and Gong's Radio Gnome trilogy albums, plus albums by various musicians who performed on Fish Rising (great line-up).  I also prefer Arzachel to Fish Rising.  It has been a long time since I last listened to Fish Rising, so perhaps I would appreciate it more now.  Some music I liked considerably on it, but at the time based on reviews, I was hoping for an album more along the lines of You meets Space Shanty.  Ah well, chacun à son goût.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 19:21
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by jean-marie jean-marie wrote:

Just a  matter of taste, but I much preferred Space Shanty to Fish Rising.  I was expecting to like Fish Rising much more than I did since I loved Space Shanty and Gong's Radio Gnome trilogy albums, plus albums by various musicians who performed on Fish Rising (great line-up).  I also prefer Arzachel to Fish Rising.  It has been a long time since I last listened to Fish Rising, so perhaps I would appreciate it more now.  Some music I liked considerably on it, but at the time based on reviews, I was hoping for an album more along the lines of You meets Space Shanty.  Ah well, chacun à son goût.
   Well! thanks for trying speak french, you're the first one Clap  The right sentence should be à chacun ses gouts

Edited by jean-marie - June 07 2011 at 19:25
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 20:17
Not to get sid-tracked, but my Kobaian is rather better than my French, and that's not saying much, but I meant to write à chacun son gout, but I guess it does make more sense for it to be plural.  It's seemed quite a commonly used phrase in my parts amongst English-speakers I've known, as is bon appétittrès chic, la plume de ma tante, voulez-vous couchez avec moi?, où est la (or le) Can [de ma tante]? etc.

Back on topicish: Yes oui Can.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 05:00
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Not to get sid-tracked, but my Kobaian is rather better than my French, and that's not saying much, but I meant to write à chacun son gout, but I guess it does make more sense for it to be plural.  It's seemed quite a commonly used phrase in my parts amongst English-speakers I've known, as is bon appétittrès chic, la plume de ma tante, voulez-vous couchez avec moi?, où est la (or le) Can [de ma tante]? etc.

Back on topicish: Yes oui Can.     LOLLOLLOL     La canne de ma tante....
resurrection View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 17:25
Can
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>