FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedColosseum's Jon Hiseman featured on BBC Radio

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colosseum's Jon Hiseman featured on BBC Radio
    Posted: May 24 2011 at 05:37
Jon Hiseman is the subject of an hour-long BBC Radio 3 programme "Jazz Library" to be broadcast on Saturday June 4th at 4 pm. Alyn Shipton talks to Jon about his five decades as a drummer playing with many legendary musicians like Graham Bond, Jack Bruce etc., his experiences with his own groups Colosseum, Tempest and Colosseum ll, before returning to his role as drummer with Paraphernalia, the jazz-fusion band led by talented composer and saxophonist Barbara Thompson (also Jon's life partner) as well as his role of  record producer for those and many other bands. Alyn also plays a selection of musical tracks featuring Jon, including one seldom heard piece from the extremely rare Howard Riley Trio album "Discussions".   Absolutely not to be missed!
LJ
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 13:40
Look forward to that.Thumbs Up
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 16:25
Does anybody know if there are plans to have this broadcast on the airwaves in Canada (possibly the CBC?)
    I live in Ottawa, Canada
londonjazzer View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 17:20
Pretty sure you can listen online, presdoug...   if not live, then under the 'listen again' option.  I'll try and check that out for yoo.
LJ

Edited by londonjazzer - May 24 2011 at 17:21
mrheadache View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 18:51

Here's the link:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011pks6/Jazz_Library_John_Hiseman/

Though I note they spelled his name incorrectly, John instead of Jon!;-)

Available until 5.02pm Sat 11th June 2011.

Here's what BBC iplayer help says:

Most radio programmes are available to listen live or on demand outside the UK, in addition to podcasts, although sporting and other programmes may be subject to rights agreements.

Yes, you can listen to BBC radio in BBC iPlayer if you are outside the UK. As long as the computer you are using has a recent version of Flash Player correctly installed, you should be able to listen live and listen again normally.

Rights restrictions

Please note that we often have to restrict access to some programmes to UK users only for (see our separate FAQ for further information about this). For instance, we only have the rights to broadcast certain sporting events in the UK - not worldwide. These include Premiership football matches, local radio football commentary, and Formula One Grand Prix.

Enjoy!
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 05:39
Thanks for posting this Mr H. (You beat me to it!! :-D)

You can also use the 'listen again' option, by just going online to BBC Radio 3. Click on:
   http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011pks6   (or 'cut & paste')
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 05:41
Hope this works for you Presdoug.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 06:36
Nice nterview with Jon on yesterday's BBC "Jazz Library" Alyn Shipton's easy going style encouraged frank, honest and sincere conversation about his career and life.
It can be downloaded to iPods or you can 'listen again' via this link (which I hope works for the overseas fans)
www.bbc.co.uk
Drummer Jon Hiseman joins Alyn Shipton to pick the highlights of his recorded work.

giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 06:49
Saw Hiseman and Colloseum at the Speakeasy way way back. Great musicians, but it didn't sound like Rock and Roll to me. Probably I was too narrow minded at the time, though I still feel uneasy about pure jazzists playing in Rock. Can't knock the guy's credentials and talent though.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 09:03
Killer monster drummer and especially on "The Time Machine" which was of course long ago and the first effort to my ears. The guy is sooooooooo unknown in the music industry and was not that popular even in the 70's. I assume in the U.K. he was due to the circles of musicians during the British Blues Boom era. He is a powerhouse drummer with the highest energy level of any respected drummer. His technique in Jazz is impeccable. The guy is a legend to me. I especially admire his touch on the snare drum and hi-hat during his basic beat structures within a Rock song. He is one of the most creative drummers to me.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 10:03
Just to show how good he is

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 10:28
Nice interview. I'll wait to listen to the next show. Because L Walters of the Guardian will speak about one of my favorite artists, Esbjorn Svensson.
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 11:15
Very enjoyable interview with a nice selection of music. Sad to hear that Barbara has Parkinsons and might be her last tour. When I saw Colosseum around about 2004 she looked a bit frail then but still played beautifully. Best wishes to her and Jon. 
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 12:44
Thank you for the great interview! Thumbs Up
I nearly missed Colosseum with Barbara Thompson last year, I am glad I made it to the concert.
Barbara played marvellously, I did not know about her illness at that time. I only wondered, why she often sat on stage and held her back, and only shortly appeared to give autographs and behaved strangely... I read about it later. Also from me my best wishes to her and Jon.

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 05:48
Partly in answer to Giselle's post...

Colosseum was probably the first group to fuse jazz and rock, with a slant towards the blues. It's true to say that Jon Hiseman, Dick Heckstall-Smith,Tony Reeves and Dave Greenslade's musical background was steeped in jazz, but ultimately they were excellent musicians for whom playing basic rock 'n' roll would have just been too limiting. All of them had played with major bands (Graham Bond, John Mayall, Geno Washington's Ram Jam Band etc). To help bridge the jazz-rock gap, Jon brought in lead guitarists who could sing (James Litherland being the first) but right from the start, most of their material was original, written collaboratively. Ultimately this is what led to this 'first edition' of the band only lasting 3 years...the flow of new material dried up, mainly because they spent so much time on the road, though Clem Clempson's departure to join Humble Pie was undoubtedly the final straw.

The current line-up, now with Barbara Thompson playing saxes in place of the much-missed Dick H-S (but otherwise the original 1971 band), is just about to set off for what may well be their final tour (playing Germany, Austria, Italy, Poland and Finland).    There will most likely be one more album of new tracks (five of which are already 'in the can') which will hopefully be released later this year.

Am I allowed one more shameless plug?  Jon's biography "Playing the Band" is still available from his website www.temple-music.com which tells the whole story.

Edited by londonjazzer - June 07 2011 at 06:03
 Post Reply Post Reply