Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPhish Live - where to start?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phish Live - where to start?
    Posted: June 06 2011 at 15:19

I have a couple of Phish studio albums (I enjoy Billy Breathes) and I love "A Live One" which is the only live recording I own.  The live stuff is clearly on a completely different level to the studio work which seems to me to be simpler songs designed as launchpads and reference points for their extended live work.

However confronted with such an enormous selection I have no idea where to go next in the Phish live discography (and that's just looking at the official stuff).  Owning them all is not really sensible unless you want to give up listening to other music for quite a while, so can anyone suggest some highlights?
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2011 at 22:59
First off, the band's first 4 albums (Junta, Lawn Boy, A Picture of Nectar, and Rift) were not launch pads for jams, as those albums contain some of the best prog rock and fusion ever made. Afterwards, yes, the music was more or less better live

Anyway, as far as official releases go; I recommend Live Phish Vol. 11, New Years Eve '95 Madison Square Garden, Live Phish Vol. 10, and Live Phish Vol. 14

But you can figure out what you like best. It's very easy to find and stream/download shows online for free.

You also will get a feel for the different eras of their live performances. 1994 and 1995 shows are the most popular tours, 1997 and 1998 shows consist of their funk era. I enjoy what they're doing now in 2010 and 2011, they're very tight these days, and Trey doesn't mess up his parts.
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2011 at 23:37
New Years Eve 95 at MSG is one of the best live recordings ever. The only downside is after that there's nowhere to go but down.

Some of their Halloween shows are also really good. The one where they played Talking Heads "Remain In Light" in it's entirety is a great show.

Also the one with the 45 minute You Enjoy Myself.

Also get their first four studio albums if you haven't already.

Fake Edit: Get out of my head darkshade.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 01:53
Start with the one where they solo a lot.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 12:07
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

New Years Eve 95 at MSG is one of the best live recordings ever. The only downside is after that there's nowhere to go but down.

Some of their Halloween shows are also really good. The one where they played Talking Heads "Remain In Light" in it's entirety is a great show.

Also the one with the 45 minute You Enjoy Myself.

Also get their first four studio albums if you haven't already.

Fake Edit: Get out of my head darkshade.

LOL
JonnyM79 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2011 at 10:20
Thanks for the great advice.  Nothing wrong with concentrating on the best so I'll start with NYE95.

Phish (and Trey in particular) have obviously had their drug problems.  Is there any point in time at which their live work starts to become affected in a negative way by this?  How is the recent (hypothetically less drugged) Phish in comparison?  I'm tempted by the Utica box set...

Edited by JonnyM79 - June 17 2011 at 10:21
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2011 at 15:45
Originally posted by JonnyM79 JonnyM79 wrote:

Thanks for the great advice.  Nothing wrong with concentrating on the best so I'll start with NYE95.

Phish (and Trey in particular) have obviously had their drug problems.  Is there any point in time at which their live work starts to become affected in a negative way by this?  How is the recent (hypothetically less drugged) Phish in comparison?  I'm tempted by the Utica box set...

Most shows from 2003 and 2004 (with exceptions, like the 'IT Festival') are pretty sloppy. I would stay away from that time period; especially their 'final' show from Coventry Dead

The recent shows are great. I wouldnt bother with the Utica box set, you're better off getting a single show from livephish.com. I saw them last week in Camden, NJ and it was easily one of their best shows ever. I actually highly recommend that show. It's from 06/10/2011 Cool It has a better set list than Utica and better performances.
 Post Reply Post Reply