Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy the 80's did suck!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 22:31
Nah the 80's were good. It was the 90's when things started to take a turn for the worse and even more so in the 2000's.
There are of course plenty of good bands, even a few good ones coming out today! But yeah...80's was the end of the good time. I mean thing can only continue so long and only so many ideas can be made. All things need to run dry.

I will say though, few bands today that are good are unique. Most are either throw backs or heavily inspired, the era of innovation certainly ended in the early 90s' but again...not like its anyone doing. Every idea/notion/concept has been exhausted.
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 22:46
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Why the 80s sucked:

-gated drums
-the choice of synth sounds which sounded state-of-the-art at the time but now sound cheesy and dated
-MTV (or more specifically the importance given to image over the music)
-going from 24-track recording to 48-track recording
-sampling became more and more acceptable

Nonetheless, there was a lot of good music in that decade, especially in Metal, Avant-Prog, "College Rock/Alternative," and Industrial. There was a lot of one-hit wonders in the '80s, but most of those songs were great compared to the one-hit wonders today.

MTV and Wal*Mart are the devil when it comes to music IMHO. Wal*Mart made it easy to market trendy thoughtless music and like what was pointed out MTV made images more important than the music itself. How is it that a video could cost more to produce than the album itself?

Money for nothing.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 22:49
Yeah sorry, MTV is sh*t. Even when it was good it was sh*t, though I will grant you it became amazingly worse by our time. The devil or not at least it was about music at one time LOL
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 23:08
I'd hazard a guess that the technology that was unveiled in the 80's (unrealistic drum machines, rigid and quantising computer sequencers, thin and anodyne digital synthesis plus being restricted to looping short digital samples to save memory) would have all served to make creating an 80's masterpiece about as easy as replicating the Mona Lisa with marker pens while wearing oven mitts.

Post Punk was probably the decade's saving grace (and it's no accident that such bands were predominantly guitar centric bands)

Confession time: I actually liked OMD, some Simple Minds, Heaven 17, Human League and some Depeche Mode
(you'll never take me alive copper)

Whoops, almost forgot to mention that it was during the 80's that the vile phenomenon sometimes carelessly labelled 'neo prog' fell steaming out of satan's nethers into our in trays.

Edited by ExittheLemming - June 19 2011 at 04:48
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 23:21
It threatened drummers with extinction, thank goodness that didn't happen
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 00:36
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

I mean thing can only continue so long and only so many ideas can be made. All things need to run dry.

I will say though, few bands today that are good are unique. Most are either throw backs or heavily inspired, the era of innovation certainly ended in the early 90s' but again...not like its anyone doing. Every idea/notion/concept has been exhausted.

I don't really agree with this as in I don't believe ideas can physically run dry.  It is just that rock music is overrun with 'players' and technicians rather than composers today.  I'd hesitate to generalize about ALL music because that's impossible, but a lot of people getting into music seem to just want to get onto stage and let rip.  The 'science' of music is not very important or relevant anymore.  But that is how new ideas were first originated and then explored in different contexts.  The concepts that great classical composers came up with were not known to the world of music before they showed it could be done.  So, musicians who cannot innovate would always feel burdened by the weight of legacy on them and it's innovators who can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 01:04
The problem with this debate generally is people usually compare (unfavourably) the 80s with the 70s.  Unless you are a diehard metal or punk fan, you are going to like the 70s more than the 80s. But a lot of things were still possible in the 80s that have become much more difficult in subsequent decades.  Mainstream music of the 80s still often had some semblance of edge, at least for the first half of the decade before things went really dull, which I cannot say about much of the 90s or oughties. You did not have the neat 90s compartmentalization, which continues to date, of weird, out there underground music for the musicophiles and bland, boring pop for the charts.   I cannot see an album like Synchronicity even being made anymore, simply because musicians of that kind of talent are more likely to concern themselves with making weird music. 

One could argue that that is only because it immediately succeeded the 70s, which, like the 60s, saw popular music being taken places. Fine, but that's relevant nevertheless.  Tanking one hit wonders of the 80s and comparing it to, say, Muse doesn't make sense logically because  the oughties was about Linkin Park for a lot many people and I'd much rather grab some dull 80s pop metal if I have to than THAT band.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 03:09
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

The problem with this debate generally is people usually compare (unfavourably) the 80s with the 70s.  Unless you are a diehard metal or punk fan, you are going to like the 70s more than the 80s. But a lot of things were still possible in the 80s that have become much more difficult in subsequent decades.  Mainstream music of the 80s still often had some semblance of edge, at least for the first half of the decade before things went really dull, which I cannot say about much of the 90s or oughties. You did not have the neat 90s compartmentalization, which continues to date, of weird, out there underground music for the musicophiles and bland, boring pop for the charts.   I cannot see an album like Synchronicity even being made anymore, simply because musicians of that kind of talent are more likely to concern themselves with making weird music. 

One could argue that that is only because it immediately succeeded the 70s, which, like the 60s, saw popular music being taken places. Fine, but that's relevant nevertheless.  Tanking one hit wonders of the 80s and comparing it to, say, Muse doesn't make sense logically because  the oughties was about Linkin Park for a lot many people and I'd much rather grab some dull 80s pop metal if I have to than THAT band.

Even if you're a punk or metal fan, you're not likely to like the 80's better than the 70's

I actually didn't mind (even liked) both styles still in 79, but largely by 83, I didn't like either...>>> I used to love early Priest and sabbath, etc... I welcomed Iron maiden, but by Piece of mind, I didn't care.... and never got into MWOBHMB, and even worse, the spped-thrash schools or the glam-hair metal scenes bnever did a thing for me.... Even if nowadays I can find some of those bands listenable.>> Ditto for punk... despite Violent Femmes and The jam still making the odd good album in 83, the movement had become irrelevant by 79.

Despite my dislike of the 80's (I was 17 in 1980, soooo it should've been MY decade), there was indeed a lot of things still possible.... unfortunately, it all took a turn for the worst

the reason why I don't like the 80's is that unfortunately, is that it's place in the chronology of music is that it simply bend the rules for pop & rock one way and made a return impossible... thus shaping the following decades in an almost un-salvageable manner (il you'll except the retro-movements)

What I'm getting at is that the music insdustry was always dictating whatever was being distributed and whatever was forcefed to the public (it's amazing to see that Abbey Road studios in 65 were filled with old men whilte lab coats), but in the late 60's and early 70's, they sort of lost control of things.... and it sort of did so willingly too... because the public followed adventurous artistes, thus making money for the industry....

But the music industry executives saw a mean to get back in control and this time made sure that it would never be tossed aside anymore... the first thing they did was rationalize the costs , but also getting rid of the old wave wityh strong demands by installing kids that were all too glad to bask in the quarter hour of sunshine

------------------- 

It's not limited to music alone, though...  this was in almost all areas of life that firms became bigger than countries and going global and become multi-national affairs ... of course in the 90's and 00's things got worse and the conglomerates grew even bigger, making their 80's ancestors looking like feeble start-ups... But it all took birth in the 80's (yeah, I know McDonald's and General Foods existed well before the 80's)... and I can't help but wonder how much better (or worse, who knows) the planet would be  if the 80's never happened the way it did, but say had just remained clamer or just a logical continuation of the 70's... Maybe it wouldn't be better at all and the world would still be bi-polar with the Cold War and such things that we tend to forget but made the 70's anything but an easy decade for almost everyone as well.

anyway, that's all for my two-penny philosophico-historical ramblingsEmbarrassedWink

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 03:23
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Why the 80s sucked:

-gated drums
-the choice of synth sounds which sounded state-of-the-art at the time but now sound cheesy and dated
-MTV (or more specifically the importance given to image over the music)
-going from 24-track recording to 48-track recording
-sampling became more and more acceptable

More or less. I don't know if I agree with the tracking concern (being I know next to nothing about the technical side of things, and that I like alot of sound, so more tracks is favorable in my mind, at least in theory) but the rest certainly are the crux of the problem.

Of course, saying the 80s suck doesn't mean everything that was produced was crap, some good stuff did exist. Even the pop still was somewhat interesting, especially compared to today, and anyone who knows my musical tastes knows that's quite a statement. Wink
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 03:24
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Even if you're a punk or metal fan, you're not likely to like the 80's better than the 70's  

Nope, sorry, 80s is THE metal decade irrespective of that two of the best metal bands made their best work in the 70s - Sabbath and Priest.  There's no two ways about it, 80s radically changed metal and defined what it is for good. When I say "metal fan", I mean an obsessive metal listener who likes something from a good many of its genres and not just a few bands or one scene like the NWOBHM.  And I don't think anybody who likes extreme metal or even heavy/power metal would say the 80s was not a better decade for metal than the 70s, it absolutely was.  I am a metal fan and that is my view too but I like prog, fusion, funk/R&B (the better artists like Wonder) too much to like 80s more than the 70s! Tongue

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

of course in the 90's and 00's things got worse and the conglomerates grew even bigger, making their 80's ancestors looking like feeble start-ups... But it all took birth in the 80's (yeah, I know McDonald's and General Foods existed well before the 80's)... and I can't help but wonder how much better (or worse, who knows) the planet would be  if the 80's never happened the way it did, but say had just remained clamer or just a logical continuation of the 70's... Maybe it wouldn't be better at all and the world would still be bi-polar with the Cold War and such things that we tend to forget but made the 70's anything but an easy decade for almost everyone as well.

I understand where this line of argument comes from and can relate to it but since I was not an 80s kid, I am only looking at the albums that were made at the end of the day and on that basis cannot find any clinching reason to say the 80s were so much worse than the 90s and 00s. There were still talented musicians in the 80s and in spite of them either being past their best (because their prime era was the 70s) or being constrained by the peculiar sonic values of the time, they still made interesting music within a mode that made it easier for large audiences to enjoy it. That is what rock music lost with the 90s...the moment audiences are expected to persevere too much to get to the better stuff, the genre stagnates and gets boring.  The only band I have heard to really buck this trend was Dave Matthews Band.  To an extent, Radiohead too (but I am not sure their more interesting stuff is that accessible and we are speaking of mainly two albums here). Also, a good many of the genres and trends that people like from 90s and 00s were, ironically enough, defined in the 80s.  Dean had made quite an authoritative post on this but it's a long time back and I doubt I'd be able to reproduce it now.

Lastly, I am not a big believer in hypothetical scenarios so if it was meant to be that Beatles, Dylan and other 60s bands briefly made rock/pop a very interesting and cutting edge kind of music,  then it was also inevitable that things would eventually go wrong. In other words, there's probably no way the 80s would have turned out differently, it was meant to be.

Edited by rogerthat - June 19 2011 at 03:27
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 04:50
There was just a lot of over produced cheese around in the 80's. Artists wanted to sound big and bright; a sound that went with their big hair, and their big shoulder pads. It was, for the most part, a sh*t time for music.

That said, terrible music could always be avoided quite easily, by simply not buying it.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 06:43
The 70's were atrocious: ABBA, Rubettes, Bee Gees, disco music, country, French singers (go to hell, Michel Sardou!), the Carpenters...
And some dare to say the 80's sucked?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 06:51
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

The 70's were atrocious: ABBA, Rubettes, Bee Gees, disco music, country, French singers (go to hell, Michel Sardou!), the Carpenters...
Here here Thumbs Up
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 06:51

There has been bad music in every era of rock/pop music.  Prog fans and classic rock fans don't remember the 80s well because THAT music didn't fare so well in the 80s.   That told, I quite like ABBA Cry and don't get all the prog-hate against them, especially in a genre with no shortage of cheese like Kansas or DT.

Edited by rogerthat - June 19 2011 at 06:51
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 07:39

70s, 80s, 90s, 00s,... they all have a similar balance of both magic and trash.
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 10:46

The 70's were atrocious: [...] the Carpenters...

I have 2 albums by the Carpenters, 'Horizon' and 'A song for you' and I love them Confused 
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 11:04
I love Karen Carpenter's singing but the music...eh, just substitute those charming organs with some more contemporary cheesy synths and its true colours will be revealed.  Many of the songs weren't theirs in any case. The arrangements on several of the originals or other covers were better, but Karen outshone the singers on those.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 12:36
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

The 70's were atrocious: [...] the Carpenters...

I have 2 albums by the Carpenters, 'Horizon' and 'A song for you' and I love them Confused 

I don't know you anymore. You can't be the guy I met at the concerts of Nomeansno and Obituary (or was it Bolt Thrower?).
June View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 20:37
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Post Punk was probably the decade's saving grace (and it's no accident that such bands were predominantly guitar centric bands)

Thanks.

I was wondering what kind of music people posting here were listening to in the 80s, because they sound pretty amazing to me: The Birthday Party, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, The Voidoids, Einsturzende Neubauten, Cabaret Voltaire, Dead Can Dance, Sonic Youth, The Pixies, Swans...
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 02:11
I was mostly listening to '70's stuff, with a little Van Halen and Def Leppard mixed in.

Edited by ghost_of_morphy - June 20 2011 at 02:12
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>