Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgressive Metal and "Jazz Influences"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Progressive Metal and "Jazz Influences"
    Posted: June 18 2011 at 12:42
Why is it as soon as a progressive metal band plays a seventh chord, has a little dissonance or has a quite section do most of its fans say they have "jazz influences" or "jazz sections"? It's started to rap me off a little bit, I hear it all the time.

Prime example: a comment from the Genesis vs Death poll saying something along the lines of Individual Thought Patterns draws more from jazz than anything else.

Horsesh*t, sorry. Another example, couldn't help but notice on a Gorguts video someone commenting that they have "strong jazz influences". Where?

In fact, the only metal bands I know of that employ jazz elements (i.e. jazz harmony and improvisation) are Ephel Duath, and Mr Bungle.

Opinions on this please.

Edited by The Pessimist - June 18 2011 at 12:43
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Mushroom Sword View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 12:46
It's in the drums. And anything similar to Math Rock, the changing time signatures with very tight, Technical drums is enough to say it has Jazz influences. Because it does. It's a great sound, Djent pulls it off great, AAL as well, probably the very best would be Cynic. Considered the founders of "Jazz Metal". 
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 12:48
Cynic uses some clean extended chords and chromaticism that is more jazzy than metal in places. And it's scattered here and there through some metal.

One of the first places this comes up is in Megadeth, where Gar Samuelson and Chris Poland actually were fusion artists and took the gig because they were strapped for cash. Obviously Poland has went back to fusion and the jazz influence is obvious. However, other than his solos, I don't here any jazz on the albums those guys played on. Gar at least could groove at little.

So yeah, most of the cited jazz influence is complete BS. But when it's actually there I love it.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 12:49
Technical drumming is not jazz. Gene Hoglan, as amazing as he is, is about as anti-jazz as it gets. Playing with laser precision is so against everything that is jazz....

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 12:50
Originally posted by Mushroom Sword Mushroom Sword wrote:

It's in the drums. And anything similar to Math Rock, the changing time signatures with very tight, Technical drums is enough to say it has Jazz influences. Because it does. It's a great sound, Djent pulls it off great, AAL as well, probably the very best would be Cynic. Considered the founders of "Jazz Metal". 

Forgot to mention Cynic.

On the drums thing, jazz drumming is nothing like on a Djent record. Yeah ok it has odd accents and syncopation, but there is plenty of that in African music, although no-one has ever cited that to be of any influence to anyone except for bands like Tool and Intronaut.

Jazz drumming is all about responding to the other musicians' IMPROVISED lines and comping, which couldn't be more absent in Djent.

Arnold Schoenberg
Mushroom Sword View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 13:03
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Originally posted by Mushroom Sword Mushroom Sword wrote:

Forgot to mention Cynic.

On the drums thing, jazz drumming is nothing like on a Djent record. Yeah ok it has odd accents and syncopation, but there is plenty of that in African music, although no-one has ever cited that to be of any influence to anyone except for bands like Tool and Intronaut.

Jazz drumming is all about responding to the other musicians' IMPROVISED lines and comping, which couldn't be more absent in Djent.
Alright, Listen to a band called Exivious, I think they only have one album, extreme Jazz influences, including Free-time Bass solos, You'll instantly know what I'm talking about

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 13:10
Granted, these guys are influenced by jazz (modes, whole tone scale, improvisation all round). I can here that. But that still doesn't explain my OP. 90% of prog metal these days is said to have "jazz influence".

Arnold Schoenberg
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 13:16
I agree, all the bands I checked out over the last few years that are considered metal with jazz influence, HAD no jazz influence.

Planet X fits the description well IMO, so do Cynic

Honestly, Dream Theater have more jazz influence in their music than most of the other bands mentioned in this thread. They don't do anything crazy, but as a big fan of jazz and fusion, when I hear certain things in DT's music, I know that Petrucci or Myung were influenced by some fusion record
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 13:19
uh, Gorguts DOES have strong jazz influences.  Like 75% of the chords they play are 6ths and 9ths and major 7ths.

(ahem) on the 1 album they have related to a discussion of prog metal, that is.  

Edited by Triceratopsoil - June 18 2011 at 13:19
madmike View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 13:30
Mushroom Sword: I think that Exivious clip is the polar opposite of the discussion so far.... most of the other bands have been metal acts where you have to strain to find the jazz influences, whereas that Exivious song was a fusion song where people would go "where's the metal?".
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 13:34
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

uh, Gorguts DOES have strong jazz influences.  Like 75% of the chords they play are 6ths and 9ths and major 7ths.

(ahem) on the 1 album they have related to a discussion of prog metal, that is.  

They really aren't. Wagner used 9th, major 7th and 6th chords, but he sure as hell wasn't influenced by jazz. Same with Steve Reich and more modern bands like Isis. It's not just jazz that uses those chords, they can be found in almost every genre of music. There is much more to jazz than that.

Also I'm not hearing any 9th chords in there.

Arnold Schoenberg
progmetalhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 13:37

Granted, these guys are influenced by jazz (modes, whole tone scale, improvisation all round). I can here that. But that still doesn't explain my OP. 90% of prog metal these days is said to have "jazz influence".

Really?

Such as?

http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112

Colt - Admin Team MMA

unclemeat69 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 13:50
Any guitarsolo in any Meshuggah song sounds uncannily like Allan Holdsworth.
Follow your bliss
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 13:51
Originally posted by progmetalhead progmetalhead wrote:

Really?

Such as?

Tool, Maudlin of the Well, Death, Pestilence, Opeth, Unexpect (which is a mystery to me), Riverside, Blotted Science, Psychotic Waltz, Tesseract, Animals as Leaders (they don't use jazz harmony, more along the lines of non-functional tonality found in impressionist music, which would make sense as Tosin Abasi is a classical player), Atheist (which is also a mystery to me), Meshuggah (Tomas Haake has done a couple of jazzy fills, nothing more; the solos are just chromatic, not jazz, which seems to be a common misconception nowadays), Periphery, Between the Buried and Me (they have like ONE jazzy bit in their whole discography, which is just a bassline in Prequel to the Sequel)...

These are all from reviews I've read, word of mouth and forums etc... Shall I name more?

Arnold Schoenberg
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 13:53
Jazz metal = metal with jazz scales and a drummer who does ghost notes and plays off-beat.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 15:23
I've never been able to hear the jazz in anything people call "jazz metal". I only hear straight prog metal in that Exivious song (except for the bass solo I guess) or Cynic. Maybe it's a personal problem.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Nathaniel607 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 15:41
All progressive metal, when compared to "normal" metal, is far more jazz-influenced. Yeah, extended chords aren't JUST in jazz, but that's certainly where they are the most prominent. 

Also, you note "modal scales" and "whole note scales" as acceptable reasons for being jazz-influenced. But the majority of jazz doesn't use whole note scales or modal scales! The majority of jazz solos are just based of chords, like most solos. 

Thinking of some examples of metal that is clearly influenced by jazz.

Some obvious, heavily influenced by jazz bands are; 
Diablo Swing Orchestra, Cynic, Exivious, Atheist (especially on "Elements)

But I think most progressive metal bands are at least more influenced by jazz than most metal bands. Even if it's just using extended chords, jazzier drums, strange structures.

I can't really think of much jazz influenced death/black/sludge metal. I think Intronaut would count, though I'm not super-familiar with them. 

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 17:22
Most bands who really do "jazz metal" bands are in the progressive metal section of the genre. 

Try bands like Matraz, Freakeys and Kiko Loureiro's latest for some taste of that.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 18:09
Originally posted by Nathaniel607 Nathaniel607 wrote:

All progressive metal, when compared to "normal" metal, is far more jazz-influenced. Yeah, extended chords aren't JUST in jazz, but that's certainly where they are the most prominent. 

Also, you note "modal scales" and "whole note scales" as acceptable reasons for being jazz-influenced. But the majority of jazz doesn't use whole note scales or modal scales! The majority of jazz solos are just based of chords, like most solos. 

Thinking of some examples of metal that is clearly influenced by jazz.

Some obvious, heavily influenced by jazz bands are; 
Diablo Swing Orchestra, Cynic, Exivious, Atheist (especially on "Elements)

But I think most progressive metal bands are at least more influenced by jazz than most metal bands. Even if it's just using extended chords, jazzier drums, strange structures.

I can't really think of much jazz influenced death/black/sludge metal. I think Intronaut would count, though I'm not super-familiar with them. 

But there is much more than extended chords to jazz. And I think you'll find extended chords are just as common in minimalism and other forms of 20th century classical music. Also very prominent in pop.

Jazz solos do use chord tones, yes, but they use chord tones that outline notes of a particular mode. e.g. Miles Davis often used a ii7 in a minor key to outline the dorian mode and another trick I personally use is the mM7 a semitone above a dominant chord, which outlines the altered mode (seventh melodic minor mode). So yes, chord tones are used, but to outline varying modes. You'll seldom find a jazz player that uses straight major and minor modes even 20% of the time. whole tone scale is the same thing, Billy Taylor used the whole tone scale as his preferred skeleton for creating melody.

Diablo Swing Orchestra use more proto-jazz than anything (ragtime and dixieland) so I suppose it still qualifies... Cynic only really have jazz influence in the solos. The rest is just standard metal riffs with a cheeky b2 added in every now and then. Exivious, from what I've heard in this thread, I've admitted is jazz influenced. Atheist just use a bunch a of complex tempo shifts. If you listen to jazz styles, it's mostly a consistant pulse throughout. I can't hear any jazz leanings really, except once again the b2.

I just think that the term is overused. I mean if you're REALLY pedantic about it, even Lil' Wayne is influenced by jazz. You have to draw the line somewhere, and if you compare "jazz metal" with artists like Dizzy Gillespie, then you won't find a strong enough comparison to call it a fusion of the two genres (jazz and metal).

I forgot to mention Intronaut, they are probably the MOST jazz influenced, purely because of the harmony used (the fact they rarely use a natural 4th is an example).

Arnold Schoenberg
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 18:13
I also remember Ron Jarzombek's (or how exactly is his name spelled) being angry at this jazz reference.

But I think the answer is simple - 20 years is still a minuscule period in the history of music, exceptionally technical moments in extreme metal still sound out of place to many listeners, and they relate to them as if they would be "foreign" elements, brought from the outside. I mean, if you know Metallica and then you hear Spastik Ink, you're gonna think of jazz instinctually.

Tech metal is simply an art forging together opposites and people are going to have problems expressing their impressions about it for some time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>