3 [4.84%]
13 [20.97%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disco vs. Hair Metal
    Posted: August 22 2023 at 18:36
A really enjoyable disco record - in it's own way...

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2023 at 13:00
This disco record was monster around '83-84 in the dance clubs. I remember it well, usually the last song played around 2am. Strobe lights would kick in and fog would envelope the dance floor and this song got everyone out there, even those dweebs that could not dance and all the wallflowers would venture to the dance floor.....Crazy times for sure, glad I survived! I have a 12" version somewhere in a box, need to find it Thumbs Up

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2023 at 12:34
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

both to the trashcan
Ouch!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2023 at 12:33
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Awesome this poll/thread still going... I reviewed my post from 2011, I still concur with my original thoughts.

Hard for me to categorize White Sister as Hair Metal, they were probably a bit before that actually became a thing. Unlike a band like Warrant...

I'm listening to White Sister right now, because you mentioned them earlier in the thread, good stuff, thanks! Thumbs Up
It's the only record I own by them, bought it as the single was popular back then Don't Say That You're Mine on the FM in '84, plus I liked Gregg Giuffria from Angel, he played keys on some tracks.

mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2023 at 11:07
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

both to the trashcan

that's harsh... LOL

yes it is
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2023 at 10:42
Dammit, this is some poll! It'll need some thorough introspection... Question Ermm

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2023 at 09:43
Why not both at the same time? Tongue

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2023 at 09:24

both to the trashcan

that's harsh... LOL
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2023 at 09:11
both to the trashcan
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2023 at 03:33
Hmmm... probably disco, but only if I was forced to. Sometimes my trash cans smile at me and do little poofies. 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2023 at 00:40
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Awesome this poll/thread still going... I reviewed my post from 2011, I still concur with my original thoughts.

Hard for me to categorize White Sister as Hair Metal, they were probably a bit before that actually became a thing. Unlike a band like Warrant...

I'm listening to White Sister right now, because you mentioned them earlier in the thread, good stuff, thanks! Thumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2023 at 16:06
Awesome this poll/thread still going.......I reviewed my post from 2011, I still concur with my original thoughts.

Hard for me to categorize White Sister as Hair Metal, they were probably a bit before that actually became a thing. Unlike a band like Warrant.....

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2023 at 07:28
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2023 at 07:16
Well, as with most other genres, there will be some pearls and some trash. There is also trash prog around. That being said, both disco and hair metal stand as relatively commercial music genres where money making tends to prevail over artistry - at least in my understanding.

Fortunately, that does not mean that the music itself cannot have qualities. A lot of disco and hair metal is obviously very well crafted and shows great musicianship. Whether one likes the music or not, is another question. For instance, the music of Bon Jovi is clearly well crafted, but it is still a tad too commercial for my liking.

On the other hand, there is quite a lot of disco that I genuinely like. I absolutely loathe Village People and the like, but there is also a lot of music with a lot of musical subtlety. Bee Gees' songs in Saturday Night Fever are absolutely great tracks, and so is "Dancing Queen" by Abba. I am also very intrigued by some of Giorigo Moroder's productions with Donna Summer ("I Feel Love" in particular - it's a really great track). And then of course, one of my all time favourite albums contains songs like this:

I usually find it much harder to enjoy hair metal, hence why I voted disco. If there is a hair metal act I kind of enjoy, it will have to be Def Leppard. There is also D-A-D, but perhaps they are a tad too edgy to be categorized hair metal?

Edited by The Anders - August 19 2023 at 08:34
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2023 at 06:19
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

The "Disco" era produced some very good music during its time.

mmmmhhh!!!!....

Chic was more of a killer funk band stretching into disco (just EW&F were or K&tG) and were quality musicians for the most part. This (above) was probably filmed in the early 90's and is really funk, much more than disco

Pure Disco was the Giorgo Moroder & Donna Summer thing (with it's  2-beat rhythms) and his heavy spacey synths.

Edited by Sean Trane - August 19 2023 at 10:19
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2023 at 05:21
I always had a soft spot for this 1976 'classic' LOL

45cat - Rick Dees And His Cast Of Idiots - Disco Duck (Part 1) / Disco Duck  (Part 2) (Instrumental) - RSO - Belgium - 2090 204
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2023 at 04:51
I voted Disco, but If I Was Made for Lovin' Hair Metal, then Kiss would get my vote every time, although Gene Simmons looked far more scary without make-up as the villainous Luther in the movie Runaway with Tom Selleck, which wasn't exactly a runaway success at the  box office, but it's still my favourite sci-fi movie. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 19 2023 at 04:52
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2023 at 03:47
so any other songs/albums/artists worth checking out from these two genres? Big smile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 11:36
Now you're being really insensitive. PB&J? Some people have peanut allergies as you allude to. ;) You find out through communication -- discussion. If you lacked sufficient reason to think that someone at all likely could be harmed or bothered by that sandwich, then I wouldn't blame you. I have kids in school, and know people who have peanut allergies, so I am always careful in that regard. If having people over to dinner, I ask about their diets first (if I don't know already). Sometimes people are offended or bothered by what one thinks really innocuous (would not have occurred to one, say, that something might be a trigger, it cant always be anticipated no matter how thoughtful one tries to be).

Debate and argument is kind of what we do in discussion forums.

I know vomit wasn't the topic, which makes it even less constructive. I;m not blaming you, I'm just letting you know that such images bother me and why, and I would rather such things not be posted. I've posted images that others have asked me to remove as it bothered them (I found them funny and reasonably inoffensive, if definitely edgy).* Perhaps I am the only here who is at all bothered by it, which is partially due to my medical condition.

I know hyperbole is common (including extreme images and comments), and can be humorous or entertaining. And yes, it's not nearly as bad for me as the scat ones, which is why I didn't hide your post. I find it off-putting and rather distracting, but then people have found my posts off-putting.

* Someone once wrote, "I can't get into Tool" to which I responded "You do not get into Tool, Tool gets into you" and posted two on their own innocuous but suggestive images when taken together. I got a complaint and removed it forthwith I'm not even asking you to do that or treat me and others like sensitive snowflakes (to use that right wing terminology). That person wasn't angry, and I listened. It's not that big a deal to me, more of an interesting issue. I have taken this topic far too off-topic. Back to discussing the music and sharing our thoughts on the music.

Edited by Logan - February 05 2021 at 12:01
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 11:22
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Sorry man, I'm bad that way.
My wife can't stand to see needles go into arms when we're watching TV shows or movies. I always have to tell her when it's over so she can open her eyes.

Say it rather than spray it all over the screen. I would rather such images not be posted, (EDIT)

-- I don't wish to participate in topics about vomiting unless hosted by MDs
Let me be upfront here, I'm certainly not looking for a debate or argument. This was a cartoon meant to represent my reaction to either. Obviously (or so I thought) it was sarcastic. And Vomit was never the topic. If you've seen my posts, from time to time I use cartoons or photos as a device for emphasising my point. It's like have a PB&J sandwich and getting yelled at. How am I supposed to know what aversions other people have?
(BTW, I'll back you up 100% on the scat comment. Truly something no one needs to see)

Edited by JD - February 05 2021 at 11:23
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>