14 [22.58%]
3 [4.84%]
13 [20.97%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 13:01
I pick hair metal bands over disco any time, too.

But beside the ridiculous image, hair metal bands had a certain sleazy sound, macho non-sense (although some musicians looked like ugly girls, just look at Poison LOL). I cannot put Poison and Whitesnake in the same boat.

Edited by Cristi - January 04 2024 at 11:18
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 13:02
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

My taste has always leaned toward hard rock and hot lead guitar.
While most hair bands quickly fell into a rut there were several that I liked and listened to regularly.
Some favorites:
Whitesnake
Skid Row
Lynch Mob
Damn Yankees
Night Ranger

I was definitely in the "Disco sucks - support your local rock and roll band"  crowd.

I don't consider Whitesnake as hair metal; they get labeled like that for their late 80s look ('87 & '89), they still were a hard rock band and a damn good one.
Skid Row were hair metal only with their debut, Slave to the Grind and Subhuman Race are metal albums (and NOT in the glam metal/hair bands way if I may say so), both good, especially Slave to the Grind.
Night Ranger are more AOR/melodic rock than hair metal, good band too, especially their 80s albums.
Originally this category was referred to as hair bands for obvious reasons. The term metal was added at some point in time. I simply consider them and others like them to be hard rock. 
I draw my line between hard rock and metal at a different place than others do. A lot of bands others consider to be metal, I (in my mind) consider to be hard rock.
But this is all a matter of preference and does not effect my vote in the poll. No matter what bands are hair, glam, hard rock or metal I would have voted for them over disco.
I think that if you asked them, they thought they were metal :)
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Progfan97402 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progfan97402 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 11:57
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 11:59
Hair metal rather than disco.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 14:02
I choose...........DEATH!LOL
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doompaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 14:18
I am the biggest metalhead you can find and I choose disco. I think disco is more earnest in its decadence. 

David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2018 at 21:53
"Turn that beat around"

+1 for D***o

Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 02:26
bump
any good stuff you know in both genres? Big smile
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 03:17
Disco for me
Although to be fair it’s mostly the modern electronic variant that speaks to me.
Todd Terje is a personal fave: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q3mBLobKnk
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 03:25
I don't 'hate' either, but neither am I am fan of either.

There have been some disco classics I guess, but off the top of my head I can't think of any hair metal 'classics' I'm not even certain which bands fall into that category, apart from the obvious examples, Poison?? Mutley Crud??
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 03:39
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

There have been some disco classics I guess, but off the top of my head I can't think of any hair metal 'classics' I'm not even certain which bands fall into that category, apart from the obvious examples, Poison?? Mutley Crud??

Poison was the first needle in the coffin for the glam metal and any bands like that. So grunge did not kill metal, MTV and the labels of the time did and the mainstream music media as well. 

Some glam metal I enjoy

Motley Crue (only the 80s)
Great White (hard rock/blues rock, but they got lumped with everyone else)
Cinderella (one of my favorites, again same situation as with Great White)
Ratt
Dokken
Guns n`Roses (only  the debut album)
Winger 
Badlands
Blue Murder
Firehouse (early albums)
McAuley Schenker Group
Contraband (supergroup with Michael Schenker on guitar)
80s Kiss fits here , too. 

Edited by Cristi - February 05 2021 at 03:40
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 04:13

Poison was the first needle in the coffin for the glam metal and any bands like that. So grunge did not kill metal, MTV and the labels of the time did and the mainstream music media as well. 

Some glam metal I enjoy

Ratt
Dokken
Winger 
Badlands
Blue Murder
Firehouse (early albums)
McAuley Schenker Group

Looking back to the 80's, I had the first 4 Motley Crue albums, most Kiss albums (always been a fan) I had one Ratt album (Invasion of your Privacy) and maybe a few others, but it was my best friend at the time who was really into hair metal. He had loads of albums by artists I never took an interest in, and can't really remember.

As a teen I kinda liked the fact that metal was charting, and that people who claimed to hate it before were taking to it. It appeared to start with Bon Jovi and Europe, at least in the UK, I guess. Then Whitesnake went through their hideous transformation, and Coverdale sacked his old blues buddies and enlisted a load of good looking Scandinavian's, 15 years younger than himself to compete with Bon Jovi et al..

The first G'n'R album is a classic. I can still enjoy that now, although everything they produced after that left me very cold.

Dokken are an interesting one. I enjoyed them live. I saw them twice, once supporting Accept and once with AC/DC. Good shows.

Edited by Blacksword - February 05 2021 at 04:15
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 04:23
I Started a Joke and I may be Jive Talkin' here, but I think the white suit gives away where my preference lies. It's a Tragedy! Tongue

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 04:37

Some glam metal I enjoy

Ratt
Dokken
Winger 
Badlands
Blue Murder
Firehouse (early albums)
McAuley Schenker Group

Looking back to the 80's, I had the first 4 Motley Crue albums, most Kiss albums (always been a fan) I had one Ratt album (Invasion of your Privacy) and maybe a few others, but it was my best friend at the time who was really into hair metal. He had loads of albums by artists I never took an interest in, and can't really remember.

As a teen I kinda liked the fact that metal was charting, and that people who claimed to hate it before were taking to it. It appeared to start with Bon Jovi and Europe, at least in the UK, I guess. Then Whitesnake went through their hideous transformation, and Coverdale sacked his old blues buddies and enlisted a load of good looking Scandinavian's, 15 years younger than himself to compete with Bon Jovi et al..

The first G'n'R album is a classic. I can still enjoy that now, although everything they produced after that left me very cold.

Dokken are an interesting one. I enjoyed them live. I saw them twice, once supporting Accept and once with AC/DC. Good shows.

Bon Jovi is a hit and miss, I enjoy a lot of their songs, dislike some as well. 

I never saw Europe as glam metal, they had the image in 1986 when they got famous, the big hair (John Norum quit the band soon after The Final Countdown came out and started from scratch so with an excellent album in 1987 called Total Control); their first two albums were heavy metal gems, nothing to do with glam/hair metal. And they had keyboards which did not go well with some people. LOL Totally different band after their reunion in 2003, highly recommended. 

Whitesnake were lumped with everyone else because they change their image, big hair and so on, but they still played blues-rock/hard rock. Coverdale later on regretted the videos and glam image, no surprise. LOL 

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 06:24
I would rather watch an hour long infomercial on rain gutters than listen to either.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 06:33
Hair Metal at least was fun. Disco was just cringeworthy.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 06:56
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I would rather watch an hour long infomercial on rain gutters than listen to either.

Well yeah, who wouldn't? An hour long infomercial on rain gutters, in three movements:

I. The Rain it cometh
II. Dreams wash away (forever)
III. The final flush
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 07:09
In 2011:

I would rather cut my ears off with a rusty keyhole saw than listen to either genre. 

In 2021:

You've mellowed.

----------------------------------

By the way, this decade old poll still seems so fresh to me, but then I guess partially because it has been revived a few times over the years. I still like lots of Electronic Disco, Euro Disco, Disco Funk and Italo Disco. In fact, I like more disco now than when I was posting a decade ago, but then I have discovered more in that time due to research for topics such as this. Wish I could remember what that third video that no longer works was on page one. I think it was Fabio Frizzi related-- maybe Vince Tempera or something..

Good is in the ear of the behearer to such a large extent. but this is a favourite of mine and has been for considerable years now:

And I like this:

And this is fun, based on Can's I Want More:

Since Bon Jovi was mentioned even if not that relevant to this topic, I feel like this "It's My Life" Bon Jovi and Vennu Malesh mash-up rather improves on both originals in an amusing to me way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZDao1jmjw

Not that I would expect many Vennu Malesh "fans" (to use the term quite ironically) here.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 07:10
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 07:11
^ Well, that put me off my breakfast.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>