32 [51.61%]
14 [22.58%]
3 [4.84%]
13 [20.97%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 07:16
Were you eating some of these?

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 07:22
Don't love either but if I had to choose I would defiantly have to go with Hair Metal. 
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 07:30
Hair Metal definitely had some cringeworthy excrescences too though. This is perhaps the worst:

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 07:32
^^ No, just some rap snacks http://www.rapsnacks.net/the-flavors-2/

Seriously, though, I have tummy issues at the best of times, and those barf images make me feel queasy. It's worse than that exploding meat head from Scanners.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 08:03
Sorry man, I'm bad that way.
My wife can't stand to see needles go into arms when we're watching TV shows or movies. I always have to tell her when it's over so she can open her eyes.

Edited by JD - February 05 2021 at 08:26
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 08:24
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Hair Metal definitely had some cringeworthy excrescences too though. This is perhaps the worst:

that's not hair metal, some sort o hard rock/AOR. Classic Angel is pretty decent, keyboardist definitely enjoyed some prog LOL. Just listen to the song The Tower from their debut album from 1975. 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 08:30
They remind me of Zon.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 08:32
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

They remind me of Zon.

yes! nice band BTW
possibly the likes of Angel were an influence. 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 08:44
Local boys.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 08:47
If you forced me to choose at gunpoint I would choose hair metal but examples from both genres are notable from their absence in my record collection. 
Well I did have a Whitesnake CD once but they were only partially hair metal.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 08:50
Blast from the past poll!!
Dang, I already voted in this poll......I'll have to backtrack and see my comments if I left any. I am sure I picked Disco...For me HM was fine when I was a teen, I was at the start of it before being called HM. Saw Motley Crue and Ratt on the Sunset Strip back in late late 70's. I have their first few albums then I lost interest due to all the makeup and fluff. 
Angel was never called HM but they easily were it! They had some great albums in early carrier, but I also lost interest after the first 3-4 albums. Gregg Giuffria (Angel keyboardist) then put together Giuffria and produced for White Sister, both in mid 80s both pretty good records. Not the cheesy stuff that got played on the FM, they were harder rock but still had flowing locks galore LOL

Disco music is so much more intriguing, experimental and simply fun.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 10:20

My wife can't stand to see needles go into arms when we're watching TV shows or movies. I always have to tell her when it's over so she can open her eyes.

Say it rather than spray it all over the screen. I would rather such images not be posted, and I will watch body horror films. It's when it's unexpected.

I have literally seen images posted in forums, including this one, that have made me vomit (usually of a scatological nature). Maybe there should be dedicated zones for people at PA into seeing images of vomiting, diarrhoea and gore, or actually I think not.

For me it was nice to see Cristi once again reviving this topic, and do appreciate the positive and constructive comments the most in topics (even when not about kinds of "art" that I appreciate). I think it's good to step out of one's comfort zone to try to appreciate more (say with checking out music in this thread if one thinks one dislikes all hair metal and disco, but one doesn't need to and if the aversion is really strong, then I would think one might wish to avoid the topic altogether -- I don't wish to participate in topics about vomiting unless hosted by MDs as that could be useful for my medical condition), but not so much to be confronted by stuff outside of one's comfort zone (such as unexpected images that would generally be considered to be in poor taste). Due to my stomach issues and common nausea, I will be more effected by those kinds of things than others would be, and that is my problem. Maybe a link to the image with a warning for those who want to see it (as long as those links don't violate the forum rules). Actually, I'd rather not because then as a mod I'd be expected to check them, so no to that, to make sure they they don't violate the rules. I can't imagine that I'm the only one who would find such stuff off-putting and would think it doesn't add value to the discussion.

Edited by Logan - February 05 2021 at 10:32
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 10:33
Neither, but I'll go for disco, because it's less loathsome and actually helped me get laid quite a few times in the late 70's (despite my Disco Sucks T-shirt)

But in Disco, there were killer track stuff (Chic for ex), rock groups doing a song or two, and even some fun franco-german electro-disco

But the stuff I didn't like back then was the Moroder/Summer , but TBH, nowadays comparing I Feel Love to most of the crap dance stuff, it actually sounds OK.

Hair/Glam Metal, OTOH, I always despised it (especially Bon Anchiove and Twisted Sister), despite a few funny fair-sounding songs like Too Drunk To F..., etc). But a lot of these groups were girl magnets.
However, I was deep in 70's JR/F and 60's Jazz in those years

Edited by Sean Trane - February 05 2021 at 10:37
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 10:35
I love Moroder for his Midnight Express (which has Electro-Disco) and Cat people soundtracks.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 11:22
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Say it rather than spray it all over the screen. I would rather such images not be posted, (EDIT)

-- I don't wish to participate in topics about vomiting unless hosted by MDs
Let me be upfront here, I'm certainly not looking for a debate or argument. This was a cartoon meant to represent my reaction to either. Obviously (or so I thought) it was sarcastic. And Vomit was never the topic. If you've seen my posts, from time to time I use cartoons or photos as a device for emphasising my point. It's like have a PB&J sandwich and getting yelled at. How am I supposed to know what aversions other people have?
(BTW, I'll back you up 100% on the scat comment. Truly something no one needs to see)

Edited by JD - February 05 2021 at 11:23
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 11:36
Now you're being really insensitive. PB&J? Some people have peanut allergies as you allude to. ;) You find out through communication -- discussion. If you lacked sufficient reason to think that someone at all likely could be harmed or bothered by that sandwich, then I wouldn't blame you. I have kids in school, and know people who have peanut allergies, so I am always careful in that regard. If having people over to dinner, I ask about their diets first (if I don't know already). Sometimes people are offended or bothered by what one thinks really innocuous (would not have occurred to one, say, that something might be a trigger, it cant always be anticipated no matter how thoughtful one tries to be).

Debate and argument is kind of what we do in discussion forums.

I know vomit wasn't the topic, which makes it even less constructive. I;m not blaming you, I'm just letting you know that such images bother me and why, and I would rather such things not be posted. I've posted images that others have asked me to remove as it bothered them (I found them funny and reasonably inoffensive, if definitely edgy).* Perhaps I am the only here who is at all bothered by it, which is partially due to my medical condition.

I know hyperbole is common (including extreme images and comments), and can be humorous or entertaining. And yes, it's not nearly as bad for me as the scat ones, which is why I didn't hide your post. I find it off-putting and rather distracting, but then people have found my posts off-putting.

* Someone once wrote, "I can't get into Tool" to which I responded "You do not get into Tool, Tool gets into you" and posted two on their own innocuous but suggestive images when taken together. I got a complaint and removed it forthwith I'm not even asking you to do that or treat me and others like sensitive snowflakes (to use that right wing terminology). That person wasn't angry, and I listened. It's not that big a deal to me, more of an interesting issue. I have taken this topic far too off-topic. Back to discussing the music and sharing our thoughts on the music.

Edited by Logan - February 05 2021 at 12:01
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2023 at 03:47
so any other songs/albums/artists worth checking out from these two genres? Big smile
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2023 at 04:51
I voted Disco, but If I Was Made for Lovin' Hair Metal, then Kiss would get my vote every time, although Gene Simmons looked far more scary without make-up as the villainous Luther in the movie Runaway with Tom Selleck, which wasn't exactly a runaway success at the  box office, but it's still my favourite sci-fi movie. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 19 2023 at 04:52
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2023 at 05:21
I always had a soft spot for this 1976 'classic' LOL

45cat - Rick Dees And His Cast Of Idiots - Disco Duck (Part 1) / Disco Duck  (Part 2) (Instrumental) - RSO - Belgium - 2090 204
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2023 at 06:19
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

The "Disco" era produced some very good music during its time.

mmmmhhh!!!!....

Chic was more of a killer funk band stretching into disco (just EW&F were or K&tG) and were quality musicians for the most part. This (above) was probably filmed in the early 90's and is really funk, much more than disco

Pure Disco was the Giorgo Moroder & Donna Summer thing (with it's  2-beat rhythms) and his heavy spacey synths.

Edited by Sean Trane - August 19 2023 at 10:19
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>