Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwhat was your benefit from being a PA member !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: what was your benefit from being a PA member !
    Posted: November 09 2012 at 20:42
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ I don't think that's going to happen. You are already creeping out a lot of people with your kindness. Wink

Yup. I'm way too nice. Stay the hell away.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 15:32
^ I don't think that's going to happen. You are already creeping out a lot of people with your kindness. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 14:37
Originally posted by Neelus Neelus wrote:

A post of mine in the "masterpiece" thread reminded me of something I want to write here.Because the love for music is such a subjective thing, it is useful to be able to get an objective view of what a group of folks as a whole think of it.  This way you can gauge things, which can turn out to be educational, and it can challenge/influence your own opinions.  Which in turn sparks conversation. In these regards this site is a fantastic tool, and one I dearly appreciate. 

That is very true!!! It's rare, as I was saying in a post, that a large number of people can connect on something so deeply and articulately. I really like the people on this site. Glad I joined. I may go so far to say that I may be able to have a beer with some of the people here.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 10:48
^ oh well, two out of three ain't bad. Wink
What?
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 10:46
Met some cool people I can talk to, found a lot of great bands, the shred helped develop my social skills.
Neelus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 04:41
A post of mine in the "masterpiece" thread reminded me of something I want to write here.
Because the love for music is such a subjective thing, it is useful to be able to get an objective view of what a group of folks as a whole think of it.  This way you can gauge things, which can turn out to be educational, and it can challenge/influence your own opinions.  Which in turn sparks conversation. In these regards this site is a fantastic tool, and one I dearly appreciate. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 02:09
^ Google "BBcodes for images".

Edited by Dayvenkirq - November 08 2012 at 02:10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 01:33
I love P.A. I plan to stay and be part of the family for a lifetime. My love for prog will never die. It is the soul of my very being.

Now with that being said, can someone tell me how you post pictures into your signature box?? It's a brain buster for me cause I am so bad with computers. It's a joke really. :(
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 12:37
P.S thats me on the left in the purple dress - I had to wax for freakin hours to get that complexion....LOL
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 12:35

I have widened my spectrum of music - I honestly didn't know that progressive metal existed until I joined PA and they were banging on about a band called Dream Theater....

The forums and people are good although I have noticed that a few have stopped joining in threads with me since i owned up to wearing womens clothes to host charity nights for my wifes friends to raise money for childrens hospices/ Cancer research and the like....It's not as if I actually ENJOY wearing all that silky, gorgeous and titillatingly feminine lingerie.....Big smile 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 20:43
Yup. It's all about the sexual favors. Prog has never made me feel so good. Lol^
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 20:35
1)  I've finally found out what all this talk about that thing called "Close to the Edge" is all about....

2)  Finally figured out that there are more than about 10 albums worth listening to - took me 40 years...

3)  Meeting up with some fine folks in other lands (Lazland, Presdoug, I mean you!)

4)  Sexual Favors.....not!  

An excellent site, it's a pleasure to be here.  Thank you, moderators, for your hard work.  Now, back to that "Genesis" stuff....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 13:54
^ OK, a bit less of one. Big smile Wink

Edited by Dayvenkirq - October 27 2012 at 13:54
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 13:43
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Well, ... let's see ... :

1) I've learned how to be less of a d$%k. 

Debatable 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 13:17
Well, ... let's see ... :

1) I've learned how to be less of a d$%k. 

a) Before then I would just go on YouTube and visit various prog-related videos like those with music by PF, Yes, KC, etc. I would make fun of people who endorsed the use of drugs or go all harsh on people for saying things a ... a-hem ... a normal person would not say (at the time I had a pretty limited notion of a "normal person". I guess I was trolling without realizing that), as if they were reflecting their subconscious, and I did not know any people who would do that. Nowadays I don't do such trolling. Whenever I encounter things like these that seem .............. different to me, I just choose not to act on them. If a person says that he wants to blow Fripp, ... I probably won't act on that at all too.

b) Some of you might remember the time when I used to be quite bold in my statements about Jimi Hendrix, Rick Wakeman, etc. Only time told me that I had to use the winkies in such cases.

2) I've expanded my understanding of what is objective and what is subjective. 

3) As far as I can see, my argumentation skills have improved a little bit.

What can I say ... I don't have any friends to re-configure my wits with ... so I might as well do that with my Web acquaintances.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - October 27 2012 at 13:19
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 12:06
Originally posted by trackstoni trackstoni wrote:

a simple question that must be answered  !  some of us ( members)  gives , learn , check ( if they're right or wrong )
we're in fact a large community who believes in progressive , did PA add something to your knowledge !?  what was it !
cause we spend hours & hours in this site !!  do you believe is it worth it  !  Wink

Some, not a whole lot, but in many ways they have helped clarify a lot of the stuff I know and understand from the time and place.

The only concern I have is that as a "database", it will eventually date itself and die off, and a lot of good work gets wasted ... but that's like saying that the human nature is to waste a lot of its spirit ... if it isn't a war, it's something else ... ohh well ... !!!!

I would have loved to see this place be better than Wikipedia and in fact, make that place look stupid. Instead, that place used PA for a lot of quotes! My biggest concern is that the articles on the artists themselves are not used in the definition/discussion of the artist and thus, it renders all information, including its "owner" to rubbish and just another dollar bill to your pocket that will be worn out and dated and thrown away tomorrow.

I am a sort of "historian" when it comes to the music and its history ... but a database does not care ... and is only as good as the folks that handle it. That said there are a lot of other nice things about it ... but not taking Robert's or Florian's words and include them on the blurbs about their art ... is bizarre, not historically accurate, and will eventually get wasted. Like so much music!

I probably hope/want a lot more ... than what is out there. I'm a dreamer, you could say, but not the only one!  But this board, otherwise, is second to none!

Edited by moshkito - October 27 2012 at 12:06
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 11:22
Well for me I delighted to speak with some other P.A members who enjoy the same music as I do. For a while, I thought I was alone in that regard. Also, a lot of people on this site are quite knowledgable and funny when offering up so e of their opinions about the music they love. And some forum discussion groups that I've been a part of are very educational. To name one, THE IMPORTANCE OF ANALOGUE SOUND. great forum indeed. Lastly, I love the comprehensive database that prog archives has. It's immense. Anyway I feel like I'm part of a family here where we're all working together to explore the vast world of progressive music.
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2012 at 14:13
Originally posted by Neelus Neelus wrote:

Other people listen to this offbeat, 20 minute long tripe with lyrics based on metaphysical space marshmallows?
Feels like home Wink

I always joke that all prog music is about dragons and wizards, but I like  metaphysical space marshmallows a lot!
Neelus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2012 at 14:10
Other people listen to this offbeat, 20 minute long tripe with lyrics based on metaphysical space marshmallows?
Feels like home Wink
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2012 at 21:18
They send me a big fat check every month for posting here.  And the health insurance is beyond compare.  
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>