Message Reverse Sort Order
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Topic: star trek
    Posted: December 08 2012 at 10:34
I'm voting for it being Mitchell.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2012 at 09:58
Thanks Doc, it sounds like it will be great.  I think we'll be getting into it more tonight.  The pilot was very promising.  But I will definitely give it time.  I know many of the great series start a bit rough before finding their groove. Thumbs Up

cacha71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 14:37
Star trek - love it!  I'm currently working through the first series again, which is my favorite, but also like The Next Generation.I hope to collect and work through the whole series eventually.  The first series has less in-depth character development and more action and plenty of original ideas.
http://www.last.fm/group/Progressive+Folk
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 10:31
I agree that it is probably Mitchell, both for the reasons you mentioned and the fact that the enemy comes from within (which I take to mean is a member of starfleet).  Also, unlike the article that I posted a link to, I think the fact that Gary Mitchell appears in and dies in the lead-in comic series, adds to the probability that it is in fact Mitchell who is the villain.  I think it would be pretty dumb of them to do Khan again, as they already did a movie about him and they couldn't do a better job of it than was originally done. 

@Jim, I can't speak to B5, as I've never seen an episode, but I can say that DS9 is probably a lot deeper of a show than the other Treks.  It focuses more on politics, religion, terrorism and the characters.  It's a lot more talkie than the other Treks too.  I had trouble getting into it at first, but the characters were compelling and Avery Brooks does an incredible job, as do all of the actors.  A very good show, but much different than the other Treks.  Sounds like you should enjoy it immensely.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 00:21
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Bumping this because of the new Star Trek trailer that is out.  Anyone out there have any theories as to who Benedict Cumberbatch is playing?  It seems the two most popular theories are Gary Mitchell or Khan Noonien Singh.  Of course, the author makes an error in talking about Gary Mitchell as having been a key character in the show for several episodes as a recurring character prior to becoming the menace he did in "Where No Man..."  I don't know what Star Trek this guy was watching but it's not the same one I watched.  Idiot.  Angry on the trailer. 
it couldn't be Khan-- he's a South Asian sikh and they already did a Khan movie.   The blonde with the bob-cut near the end of the second trailer resembles Sally Kellerman's character from WNMHGB, so I think Gary Mitchell is a good bet.

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 21:09
Just started watching Deep Space 9.  I've been told I'll love it because I enjoyed B5.  I'm also much more into philosophical/politically themed shows than action/shooting nonsense, so again, I suspect DS9 is going to delve into heavy topics more. 

If it's half as good as B5 I'll be happy. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 20:19
Bumping this because of the new Star Trek trailer that is out.  Anyone out there have any theories as to who Benedict Cumberbatch is playing?  It seems the two most popular theories are Gary Mitchell or Khan Noonien Singh.  Of course, the author makes an error in talking about Gary Mitchell as having been a key character in the show for several episodes as a recurring character prior to becoming the menace he did in "Where No Man..."  I don't know what Star Trek this guy was watching but it's not the same one I watched.  Idiot.  Angry

Anywho, here's the link to the article with the trailers attached (for some reason it didn't copy as a hyperlink, so you have to copy and paste it: 

And check out the Japanese trailer.  Shocked

http://www.tgdaily.com/entertainment/67907-star-trek-teasers-hint-at-genesis-device-plot

I personally think if it is one of the two villains mentioned above, Gary Mitchell makes more sense based on the trailer. 

Edited by The Doctor - December 06 2012 at 20:22
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2012 at 07:04
I loved the episodes in season 3 of Enterpirse. and now geting into season 4 and its just as great so far. Looking forward to seeing the one where they get onthe old Enterprise set and they go to a mirror universe - always a hoot
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2012 at 15:04
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Just saw Enterprise series 3 finale so dang good! The Xindi story line was awesome and really sparked interest in the show for me.

The series 4 finale was not so good.  Angry

I liked the first two seasons a lot more than the third and fourth actually.  Although there were some classic episodes in both the latter two seasons as well. 

Unfortunately they ran out of budget and cut it out. That final was assembled just to give it an end, but the original plot was very different.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2012 at 12:13
Did you hear that Disney just bought the Star Trek franchise and is putting out a new movie in 2015? It's going to feature singing tribbles in luscious traditional 2d animation.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2012 at 23:01

Just saw Enterprise series 3 finale so dang good! The Xindi story line was awesome and really sparked interest in the show for me.

The series 4 finale was not so good.  Angry

I liked the first two seasons a lot more than the third and fourth actually.  Although there were some classic episodes in both the latter two seasons as well. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2012 at 07:09
Saw Catspaw today for halloween - a real clunky TOS episode.

Just about to watch TOS ep Operation Annihilate - this is a real curio with great acting and very odd premise. Nice scene where crew are firing multiple phasers, and Spock gets attacked by that jellyfish thing.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2012 at 07:06
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2012 at 18:25
I've only seen the original series. What I have seen, I've adored, especially their adaptation of Fredric Brown's 'Arena'. Some folks may criticize Shatner as an actor, but I tell ya, he did a great job in those Twilight Zone episodes, and his soft-staccato declamation never offended me. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2012 at 18:14
^Took me awhile to warm to DS9 because of the stationary setting of the show, but once I got to know and became involved in the characters, I loved the show. 
Gugliemo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2012 at 17:52
The original series is too campy and silly for my liking. Recently started watching TNG, utterly brilliant. Proper science fiction with a focus on characters and interesting situations. I did always like Stargate, which clearly took a LOT from TNG. I look forward to  watching DS9, as I'm a big fan of Babylon 5. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 18:51
 ^ if you look closely, the blonde redshirt is protecting a female crew member.  Also not all redshirts are security, it's mainly the Engineering color.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 21:24

And which episode is this from?

Censorediest security ever.  Cowards.  Pansies. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 21:05
Omega Glory and Conscience of the King
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 20:57
And which episode is this from?