Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHawkwind enthusiasts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2011 at 21:56
It depends........... you are searching for a Experience, with capital E?: "Space Ritual"HeadbangerSax man......... you are searching for good dark prog? "The Hall of Mountain the Thrill" o "Quark, strangeness on March"Clown
I recomen also to see the documentary "Do Not Panic", the more you know of this band the more your gonna like it.
Consumed by the passion of its inner fire the Phoenix burn to asses each night and is reborn in the morning with greater power.
Is Prog a Phoenix? I hope so.....
gliss bliss View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 12:33
There was some interesting Hawkwind bootlegs too, a good companion to the Space Ritual period is the Paris Theatre sessions from BBC 1972.  I remember in the mid 80s buying this on cassette and it was atrocious quality, sounded like someone had recorded in a microphone from a mono radio.  But since the noughties the quality has been cleaned up and EQued so it is much better a listen and a good variation from the Space Ritual.

Also a great one that documents Robert Calvert with Hawkwind is the US radio recording from 1978, live at the Bottom Line, New York featuring stuff from Astounding, Quark and PXR5, the original cassette I had too also had an illuminating interview with Robert Calvert.

And finally the only video clip in existence of Calvert with Hawkwind, Quark, Strangeness and Charm on the Marc Bolan Show I think from either 1976 or 77.  Minus Dave Brock, there must have been tensions in the band at the time hence him not appearing.

Enjoy dudes.

Edited by gliss bliss - December 17 2011 at 13:01
Lets go to church and be good looking.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 12:39
It's difficult to suggest a good starting point. I would recommend that you start with a full studio album. Probably Warrior on the edge of Time.

If you really want a compilation, you may want to try and get hold of a copy of Roadhawks. I always liked that collection.

Hawkwind have made hundreds of albums, and among them is a fair amount of dross, in my opinion; half arsed recordings that could have been so good if the band hadn't been quite so drugged up, worked with good producers, and improved their playing. However, when the Hawkwind formula does come together, it works very well indeed. I like albums from all their eras, but I have a particular liking for the late 70's Calvert era. Astounding Sounds.., Quark Strangeness & Charm, and PXR5. Overall, tough their best album is Warrior on the edge of time, imo.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 12:46
I'd start with Space Ritual & Quark Strangeness and Charm.

Space Ritual is a live classic and will introduce you to their early space/psyche period. Most of the albums in this period are worth getting. Hall Of The Mountain Grill & Warrior On The Edge Of Time being particularly good.

Quark is my favorite of their Bob Calvert more psyche punk pop period. Again the other albums in this period, Hawklords, PXR5, Astounding Sounds are all good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12