Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat Is a Masterpiece of Progressive ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2011 at 11:10
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I think it is a very slippery slope, when one gets too focused on the top lists, and starts wondering why that one magnificent record one loves so dearly, isnīt there. It isnīt to say, that it doesnīt belong there, but when you start falling in the pedestal trap, like a lot of people do - also outside PA, the music suddenly turns into some kind of sport. Like the Idols show and what have you not, where music is treated like a tournament, and the ones who usually win, is the kind of person who can sing a billion notes - emulate Mariah Carey down to the t, and furthermore looks like a barbie-doll. How would the music scene today have looked like, if things were the same back when Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, Neil Young, David Bowie and a truckload of other respected artists started out? None of those mentioned were really singers, in fact you could call them anti-singers compared to the sport singers of today, but they had something unique - and ideas that helped spawn most of what we hear today. They wouldnīt have chance in hell today, if weīd treat them the same way we treat those in Idols. If we start treating music like you see a lot of television shows do at the moment - they are doing this in Scandinavia as well, - Iīm afraid the future will have no Dylans, Yes, Bowies, Floyds - no real progress and imagination or whatever...  I am not saying the prog scene resembles that scenario yet, although we have our fair share of polls and suspicious threads evolving around the "greatest", but if we are not careful - the music we love so dearly, will take us down that sporty road and become something quantifiable and something you can award a gold medal. This is of course exaggerating a bit, but the key point here is: there are no the greatest - nothing thatīs the best, or something along those lines. Thereīs a lot of music in PA, which I think rival the top 100, but yet are no way near it. Thatīs because these albums are obscure, and didnīt have the success like Close to the Edge or Dark side of the Moon. The one thing you can do, and for me this is the whole reason of being here, - is to write reviews about music you think others should hear - or you might think has gotten a bad rep, or maybe it is just unfairly obscure.
Please donīt turn music into sports!   

Well said and agree with much of this. However, rock per se has become more of a technical sport with less emphasis on composition so sooner or later, what we call prog will go down that road too.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2011 at 11:16
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I think it is a very slippery slope, when one gets too focused on the top lists, and starts wondering why that one magnificent record one loves so dearly, isnīt there. It isnīt to say, that it doesnīt belong there, but when you start falling in the pedestal trap, like a lot of people do - also outside PA, the music suddenly turns into some kind of sport. Like the Idols show and what have you not, where music is treated like a tournament, and the ones who usually win, is the kind of person who can sing a billion notes - emulate Mariah Carey down to the t, and furthermore looks like a barbie-doll. How would the music scene today have looked like, if things were the same back when Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, Neil Young, David Bowie and a truckload of other respected artists started out? None of those mentioned were really singers, in fact you could call them anti-singers compared to the sport singers of today, but they had something unique - and ideas that helped spawn most of what we hear today. They wouldnīt have chance in hell today, if weīd treat them the same way we treat those in Idols. If we start treating music like you see a lot of television shows do at the moment - they are doing this in Scandinavia as well, - Iīm afraid the future will have no Dylans, Yes, Bowies, Floyds - no real progress and imagination or whatever...  I am not saying the prog scene resembles that scenario yet, although we have our fair share of polls and suspicious threads evolving around the "greatest", but if we are not careful - the music we love so dearly, will take us down that sporty road and become something quantifiable and something you can award a gold medal. This is of course exaggerating a bit, but the key point here is: there are no the greatest - nothing thatīs the best, or something along those lines. Thereīs a lot of music in PA, which I think rival the top 100, but yet are no way near it. Thatīs because these albums are obscure, and didnīt have the success like Close to the Edge or Dark side of the Moon. The one thing you can do, and for me this is the whole reason of being here, - is to write reviews about music you think others should hear - or you might think has gotten a bad rep, or maybe it is just unfairly obscure.
Please donīt turn music into sports!   

That's the whole point of having those discussions. All the Poll stuff about TOP Albums, is a just a game to start a discussion about the music we love. There is some bands that are not in the Top 100 and should be there, and i know it's important to let others discover those bands, but it doesn't mean that we're taking the "sporty road". We are in a world of competition, numbers but deep inside of us we have the real feeling  of what's is a masterpiece. It's not perfection, it's someting close that move you emotionally. Or as someone has just said, that "blows you away"
cannon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2011 at 13:50
I think some musicians think that thier ratings and critic are worth more weight than people who are not. Here's an anology I use to disqualify that thinking: Some of the best hockey coaches and analysts never played the game, played only minor hockey or never made the "big time".

I also find some musicians(they let us know numerous times that they are) reviews are way too long, pompous, ostentatious and repetitive. Besides this is the internet, are they really what they say are(?).

If you noticed I only said some. I don't think this case for most musicians.

I tend not to read reviews that are long, relatively speaking.
wilmon91 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2011 at 16:04
Wikipedia helped me out in answering this. It is a "creation that has been given much critical praise, especially one that is considered the greatest work of a person's career or to a work of outstanding creativity, skill or workmanship."

It also tells how the word was originally used, which was interesting.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2011 at 22:38
Originally posted by wilmon91 wilmon91 wrote:

Wikipedia helped me out in answering this. It is a "creation that has been given much critical praise, especially one that is considered the greatest work of a person's career or to a work of outstanding creativity, skill or workmanship."

I find that portion highlighted in blue arbitrary and irrelevant, and especially so for rock music.  If rock critics were at all serious and could be taken seriously, then maybe. But the next portion of the sentence makes perfect sense. 
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2011 at 03:39
I think it's an album that you don't just enjoy, but stirs something else inside you when you listen to it. That's why I think the 'masterpiece' tag is personally subjective.
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2011 at 05:40
For me it is an album that after listening to it for some odd 20 years regularly it still amazes me everytime I listen to it again. For me tho e albums are Dream Theater -When dream and day unite, Yes - Close to the edge and Van der Graaf Generator -Pawn Hearts.

Edited by King Manuel - July 17 2011 at 05:41
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
wilmon91 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2011 at 05:56
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I find that portion highlighted in blue arbitrary and irrelevant, and especially so for rock music.  If rock critics were at all serious and could be taken seriously, then maybe. But the next portion of the sentence makes perfect sense. 

Yeah, i agree - It doesn't work with pop/rock orientated music, or "new" music, it's more valid for classical,more than 50 years old music.  But the use of the word "masterpiece" has probably been something that's generally agreed upon, not just one persons opinion.

"Magnum opus" is similar, ("largest, and perhaps the best, greatest, most popular, or most renowned achievement ") but there can be several masterpieces but only one "magnum opus".

I think "Masterpiece" is an old fashioned term and doesn't fit perfectly to rock orientated music.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2011 at 06:36

But the use of the word "masterpiece" has probably been something that's generally agreed upon, not just one persons opinion.  

Yeah, this is what I am driving it, rock audiences are too fragmented for me to attach much importance to consensus in establishing what is a masterpiece. I do rely on such top 100 albums list only because there is more probability of such albums being really good than if I rely on one person's opinion but in rock/pop, using critical opinion or general consensus to decide what is a masterpiece can sometimes be misleading. And...

I think "Masterpiece" is an old fashioned term and doesn't fit perfectly to rock orientated music.

I agree completely. 
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2011 at 09:58
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

But the use of the word "masterpiece" has probably been something that's generally agreed upon, not just one persons opinion.  

Yeah, this is what I am driving it, rock audiences are too fragmented for me to attach much importance to consensus in establishing what is a masterpiece. I do rely on such top 100 albums list only because there is more probability of such albums being really good than if I rely on one person's opinion but in rock/pop, using critical opinion or general consensus to decide what is a masterpiece can sometimes be misleading. And...

I agree completely. 
There is also unmitigated bias against progressive rock on many critics' lists, particularly among the New York establishment, who have been "trendsetters" as far as critique since the 70s.

For instance, Robert Christgau, who has crowned himself "dean" of rock critics, routinely rates progessive rock albums (even in the genre's prime in the early 70s) with C and D ratings. If you look at the Top 500 Albums Of All Time by Rolling Stone Magazine (perhaps the most viewed list on the Internet, which I won't even link here), you won't find any prog in the top 100 except some Pink Floyd thrown in (The Wall at #87 and DSotM at #43), and Tull (certainly my favorite band) has one album at #337 (Aqualung). I didn't see any Genesis, King Crimson or Yes albums at all (although I only did a quick skim, as I was getting physically ill).

Also, another New York based firm, Time Magazine's ALL-TIME 100 Albums... http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,1955625,00.html has no prog whatsoever, not even Floyd in the 70s! It's as if progressive rock never existed. Ever.

So, Prog Archives is on a thin raft in a great big ocean of bloated opinion where progressive rock does not even come up on the map. What we may consider "masterpieces" does not even register in the soulless collective of corporate critique. It is mystifying, certainly, that so much great music is routinely ignored, while rap albums receive accolades, but that is the state of music (or what is purported to be music - drum machines, mangled ebonic poetry and sequences are not music to me).

I will get down from my soap box now. Wink

Edited by The Dark Elf - July 17 2011 at 10:01
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
trackstoni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2011 at 11:13
Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

I think it's an album that you don't just enjoy, but stirs something else inside you when you listen to it. That's why I think the 'masterpiece' tag is personally subjective.

much agree on this !  Wink
Tracking Tracks of Rock
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2011 at 13:27

It's 2011.

Do people still need to have the objective/subjective argument?

Everybody knows that music is only ever going to be personal opinion. Why do we need so many threads to come to this conclusion?

rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2011 at 14:21
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

It's 2011.

Everybody knows that music is only ever going to be personal opinion. Why do we need so many threads to come to this conclusion?

So you fall again in the obejecte/subjective argument...
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2011 at 14:52
it's right all those albums you talked about are in the top 100 but many albums would deserve to be in , 666 for instance should have to be in the top 100.....but it's not the case...... i think ther's kind of problem.....
Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2011 at 15:18

It's 2011.

True. If most of Progarchives thinks it's a masterpiece, then there you go. It's not like you're not allowed to disagree with it
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2011 at 23:24
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

The definition changes from person to person, really hard to pin down exactly what makes a masterpiece. I think it has to do with the emotion that is put into the piece of music.

Thumbs Up As Facebook would say:  "Like this..."
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 03:45
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

It's 2011.

Ermm

Infinity View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2011 at 08:31
Aside from the 'many' angles you can look at this at the very least it's a good opportunity to say get out there and listen to and review, rate, whatever albusm you consider deserve attention.....it's all about communication/information....otherwise take polls, charts, 'masterpiece' lists with some degree of a pinch of salt....that said, I think prog archives overview of let's just say most notable prog records is fairly accurate.....in terms of being a relevant and good guide.....most of us know there's tons more to delve into but you either don't issue a top 100 or lists of that ilk or you try to give a good guide....

there's so much information on the site I actually find it pretty admirabel the attention/review/discussion so many bands/records do receive...

It's kind of like reading a personal review...do you read it and remember it's objective or do you take it as underlining or overriding your own opinion...it's all just ongoing information...Smile

I can't remember what I said
I lost my head.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2011 at 09:08

It's 2011.

Ermm

Music is personal opinion?  I wouldn't define it that way. Pig

--------------------------------
 One's taste is subjective, but one can objectively analyse qualities of music within a framework. 

Edited by Logan - July 20 2011 at 09:14
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2011 at 10:18
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

It's 2011.

Ermm

Music is personal opinion?  I wouldn't define it that way. Pig

--------------------------------
 One's taste is subjective, but one can objectively analyse qualities of music within a framework. 

You're wrong.

Objective analysis would be "This song has a guitar in it". That's not an opinion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>