Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > News from Official Prog Suppliers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgstreaming: listen to new releases entirely

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Progstreaming: listen to new releases entirely
    Posted: July 22 2011 at 01:13
Hi there,

There's a new site now where you can listen legally to the latest progrock-releases. Some people have already called this the best idea since sliced bread!

Visit please www.progstreaming.com, and join the Facebook at www.facebook.com/progstreaming. There's also the posibility for a RSS-feed and a newsletter.

Twice a week new cd's are being submitted. Right now you can find the new cd's from:

Gungfly, Nicklas Barker, Legend, The RedZen, Us, Mars Hollow, Paatos, Sun Domingo, Mandrake Project, Lazuli, Wolverine, Phideaux, Introitus, Iszil, Johnny Unicorn, From.Uz, October Equus, Anasazi, Farpoint, La Coscienza Di Zeno and many others.

Enjoy the music!

Edited by progstreaming - July 22 2011 at 01:15
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 05:11
This appears to be totally legit and therefore a great resource. Please give it your support.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 05:44
It doesn't just appear to be. It is. Quite a few threads on this one over at Prog Ears that should easily document that ;-)

And indeed, a good initiative. And perhaps easier for prog fans than Spotify - with the added benefit that it is easily available worldwide. Without invites or incentives to buy additional products beside the music you listen to ;-)
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 06:02
This one gets a advantage on My Space, you can listen to more songs from their artists. Great also that it's new releases. Thanks!
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 06:25
Very good! I'll listen to some albums which they interest me.
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
progstreaming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 08:35
Thanks, all! I'll be having the new Grails tomorrow in a special update. Great great postrock, more progheads should know about
Rune2000 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 09:22
I've heard about this site a few month back and was pretty much as excited as you are now. Unfortunately the player that this site is annoying as h*ll since you can't minimize it. Playing in the background works, but it's irritating to use a workaround for something that should have worked correctly to begin with!

Besides, most of these titles are available on Spotify and now that the service has arrived to U.S. it pretty much makes this site seem obsolete.

PS
Oh, did I mention that albums are only available for limited time?
Promotional purpesses, I know. Still, there's just no point to it when we have a juggernaut like Spotify.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 09:38
Originally posted by Rune2000 Rune2000 wrote:

I've heard about this site a few month back and was pretty much as excited as you are now. Unfortunately the player that this site is annoying as h*ll since you can't minimize it. Playing in the background works, but it's irritating to use a workaround for something that should have worked correctly to begin with!

Besides, most of these titles are available on Spotify and now that the service has arrived to U.S. it pretty much makes this site seem obsolete.

PS
Oh, did I mention that albums are only available for limited time?
Promotional purpesses, I know. Still, there's just no point to it when we have a juggernaut like Spotify.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but as you know, Spotify is ONLY FOR FREE in the US, UK and Germany. So the rest of the world is more pleased than you, probably. Besides that, Spotify is a cloud, Progstreaming is a streamingsite. Totally different story.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 09:47
I have learned to love Spotify, but the free version of it does come with a fair few limitations these days. But for paid subscriptions it's the perfect solution. If it is available where you live.

Progstreaming doesn't have those limitations :-)
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 09:54
Fantastic! Thumbs Up
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 10:00
Yes, we know about Grails. Good band.
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 10:37

All I can say is looks like another great resource. (I just opened my spotify this am.)

But it's also very convenient to have a prog specific site. Bravo.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 10:42
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

All I can say is looks like another great resource. (I just opened my spotify this am.)

But it's also very convenient to have a prog specific site. Bravo.

I got an invite this morning as well LOL

I think this website will be good for sampling albums I'm looking to buy, and it's good for a lot of the obscure stuff that may not be on Spotify.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2011 at 05:14
I have some questions. The disclaimer states
Quote - Progstreaming will on no account remove a record from the website at the request of an artist or label, unless the fixed maximum streaming term of three months has expired.

I thought this was more than a bit dodgy, so I looked it up, and I believe opens you up to liabilities under DMCA,  which I am pretty sure is something you do not want. Why are you doing that if this is supposed to be completely legal? Then I realized I had gotten distracted and finished reading the page.
Quote - All material sent to Progstreaming, including the record, will remain the property of Progstreaming.

I'm not a lawyer, and it's very late at night, but are you claiming copyright ownership of the albums you are streaming? :S
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

I have learned to love Spotify, but the free version of it does come with a fair few limitations these days. But for paid subscriptions it's the perfect solution. If it is available where you live.

Not really. The default bitrate is 160 kb/s, which is ok for trial listening, but really not good enough for serious listening. The premium service offers 320 kbs, which would definitely be good enough, but not all of the songs are available at 320, and Spotify doesn't bother to tell you which ones actually are high quality because they're generally very evasive about the subject, I assume so their cost-cutting measures don't get exposed. eMusic because the same way, which is why I dropped them (although they were never as transparent about bitrates as I would have liked). And in that person's test the majority of the songs were not. And 
Quote Progstreaming doesn't have those limitations :-)

The disclaimer states that the songs are streamed at 128 kb/s, so again, not really. You might as well go the artist's Bandcamp in many cases. 
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2011 at 05:33
Luckily Progstreaming has its base in Delft, The Netherlands. So as far copyright, Progstreaming falls under Dutch laws, which means I have to pay to BUMA/Stemra, the organisation we have for this. So I pay them, of course. As streaming is quite new in the internet-market, BUMA/Stemra has a special arrangement for streaming/podcast/radio and the lot.

Further more, the disclaimer pretty much states that by sending a promocopy to our P.O. Box, it gives Progstreaming the permission to stream it. The parties involved have to be unanymous though. One example: Jolly gave permission to stream their latest album, and even their manager was enthousiast. But InsideOut, for some reason, didn't want it, so it won't happen, as they've licenced the record to InsideOut.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2011 at 05:36
What kind of fee are you paying for the collective rights management organization? Is it the same fee that radios pay for broadcasting? And is the fee calculated based on the number of streamings of each track?

Interesting venture, good luck with it.
Rune2000 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2011 at 05:39
Originally posted by progstreaming progstreaming wrote:

I'm sorry you feel that way, but as you know, Spotify is ONLY FOR FREE in the US, UK and Germany. So the rest of the world is more pleased than you, probably.
Not true. Spotify is also available in France, Spain, the Netherlands, Finland, Norway and Sweden! Maybe these countries aren't as big as U.S., the UK or Germany but we are pretty big in the prog community. Wink

Edit: Plus, you can use Spotify Premium in all countries, however you can only buy premium and sign up in our launch countries.

Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Not really. The default bitrate is 160 kb/s, which is ok for trial listening, but really not good enough for serious listening. The premium service offers 320 kbs, which would definitely be good enough, but not all of the songs are available at 320, and Spotify doesn't bother to tell you which ones actually are high quality because they're generally very evasive about the subject, I assume so their cost-cutting measures don't get exposed. eMusic because the same way, which is why I dropped them (although they were never as transparent about bitrates as I would have liked). And in that person's test the majority of the songs were not. And 
Quote Progstreaming doesn't have those limitations :-)

The disclaimer states that the songs are streamed at 128 kb/s, so again, not really. You might as well go the artist's Bandcamp in many cases. 
I've been a premium Spotify (fanboy LOL) member for two years and the bitrate has never bothered me, especially since I prefer to buy all music that I find to be interesting and pretty much use Spotify as a great resource for new music discoveries. It's an excellent resource for any Prog Team collaborator!
I agree that the Spotify team is terrible at fixing things whenever I send in corrections. For instance, it really bugs me that they confused By The Pain I See In Others and Master's Apprentices. One day, I'll book an appointment at their R&D office here in Stockholm (Birger Jarlsgatan 6) and will have a serious word about all these minor mistakes. Wink

Edited by Rune2000 - July 23 2011 at 05:46
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2011 at 05:52
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

What kind of fee are you paying for the collective rights management organization? Is it the same fee that radios pay for broadcasting? And is the fee calculated based on the number of streamings of each track?

Interesting venture, good luck with it.

130 euro a year actually for 40.000 streams. I'm not sure how they calculate though. They probably haven't that figured out for themselves too.
Rune2000 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2011 at 05:58
Can you please fix so that we can steam music in the background without having to open a new web browser to run progstreaming.com?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2011 at 06:04
Originally posted by Rune2000 Rune2000 wrote:

Can you please fix so that we can steam music in the background without having to open a new web browser to run progstreaming.com?

No, sorry. It was done on purpose, for several reasons.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>