Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedthe nice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2011 at 18:12
The Nice did a nifty cover version of the Mort Garson Aries track on the BBC sessions album. Although I think it's Jackson singing/shouting? he sounds (gulp) demonic on this number.
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2011 at 18:32
I actually like The Nice more than ELP and listen to them more often.  Their raw approach is effective and enjoyable when the listener considers them primarily a psychedelic band with some progressiveness.

Edited by Eärendil - August 16 2011 at 18:34
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2011 at 18:52
Originally posted by Eärendil Eärendil wrote:

I actually like The Nice more than ELP and listen to them more often.  Their raw approach is effective and enjoyable when the listener considers them primarily a psychedelic band with some progressiveness.

The Nice were perhaps a jazzier, more organic and less refined sounding beast than ELP and I agree that the former's earlier material is 3 parts psychedelia, one part RnB with a garnish of proggyness to taste (I love em both BTW)
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2011 at 19:41
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by giselle giselle wrote:

The concept of The Nice - a Rock organ trio - came from 1-2-3 (later Clouds). O'List was sacrificied for this concept.

O'List was actually kicked out the group for similar reasons that Pink Floyd left Syd Barrett behind. I spoke to Davy about 6 years ago and he didn't have a bad word to say for Keith and I think was glad that he was given his 'wake up call'. Keith Emerson did toy with the idea of bringing Steve Howe into the band and they spent a day hanging out but in the end Howe decided he wanted to stay with the band he was in at the time (this was a good few years before Yes).

Didn't O'List play with Pink Floyd on a few early gigs before Gilmour stepped in? I really enjoyed his guitar work on Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack.
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2011 at 19:42
I've always liked The Nice.  I like their pop songs, some of which, like Cry of Eugene,
are quite brilliant.  Emerson often seems to want a bawdy lyric, which you can even
see in his solo band's studio album, which makes some of the Nice's pop songs lyrics
a little seedy, but the music is still often good writing.  It's too bad O'List disbanded from
them as he wasn't a bad guitarist.   Wasn't he the lead singer in the beginning?

--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2011 at 20:00
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

The concept of The Nice - a Rock organ trio - came from 1-2-3 (later Clouds). O'List was sacrificied for this concept.

O'List was actually kicked out the group for similar reasons that Pink Floyd left Syd Barrett behind. I spoke to Davy about 6 years ago and he didn't have a bad word to say for Keith and I think was glad that he was given his 'wake up call'. Keith Emerson did toy with the idea of bringing Steve Howe into the band and they spent a day hanging out but in the end Howe decided he wanted to stay with the band he was in at the time (this was a good few years before Yes).

Didn't O'List play with Pink Floyd on a few early gigs before Gilmour stepped in? I really enjoyed his guitar work on Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack.

Yep, O'List was often asked to substitute on guitar for an AWOL Barrett (he knew Floyd's material note for note in those days)
O'List handles the lead vocals on the title track (and single) from The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack album (and you can hear what a great singer he was but was reputedly so shy about singing live he steadfastly declined - shame really, as it would have applied a band-aid to their Achiles heel: the vocals on the song based material)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 01:55
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

I've always liked The Nice.  I like their pop songs, some of which, like Cry of Eugene,
are quite brilliant.  Emerson often seems to want a bawdy lyric, which you can even
see in his solo band's studio album, which makes some of the Nice's pop songs lyrics
a little seedy, but the music is still often good writing.  It's too bad O'List disbanded from
them as he wasn't a bad guitarist.   Wasn't he the lead singer in the beginning?

I suspect Lee Jackson was likely responsible for the bawdy lyrics.Apparently Jackson was quite successfull with the 'ladies' in those daysWink
N-sz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 02:42
(oh no, someone with the same user icon as me!)
Yeah, I can't say I've been able to get into ELP that much, although they have some moments that I like. I picked up Elegy just last week just because it was cheap enough. I though side A of the tape was actually quite nice and I felt it deserved a bit better, but then again, I think reviewers mentioned it having many different versions of the older songs.
JeanFrame View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 09:24
1-2-3 also did a version of Nut Rocker which was later picked up by ELP.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 14:36
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Yep, O'List was often asked to substitute on guitar for an AWOL Barrett (he knew Floyd's material note for note in those days)
O'List handles the lead vocals on the title track (and single) from The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack album (and you can hear what a great singer he was but was reputedly so shy about singing live he steadfastly declined - shame really, as it would have applied a band-aid to their Achiles heel: the vocals on the song based material)

O'List only stepped in for Syd once. It was on the package tour with Jimi Hendrix and The Nice.
NickHall View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2011 at 04:06
I don't think Emerson copied Ritchie, they were two completely different kinds of players. As far as I can see, the only thing Emerson used from Ritchie was the standing up/leading role sort of thing, nothing to do with the playing at all.
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2011 at 05:03
Originally posted by NickHall NickHall wrote:

I don't think Emerson copied Ritchie, they were two completely different kinds of players. As far as I can see, the only thing Emerson used from Ritchie was the standing up/leading role sort of thing, nothing to do with the playing at all.

Yes, I think Emerson's approach was much more similar to Don Shinn - jazzy phrasings, rocked up classics, reverb crashing/mucking about with the electronics etc. And Emerson has acknowledged Shinn as a big influence, so if he was heavily influenced by Ritchie I would have thought he'd mention that too.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2011 at 05:24

I agree about the playing approach. I think Ritchie’s contribution was to show that organ could be a leading instrument, even to the exclusion of guitars. Also, standing not sitting was significant, as simple as that seems to us today. There’s certainly no direct evidence that Emerson was influenced by any of this, though he was apparently in the audience many times when 1-2-3 played there. It must be also possible that it was all a natural progression. But Ritchie was certainly first to take a leading role.

NickHall View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2011 at 16:14
I get fed up with people having a go at Emerson because he's the best. OK, Billy Ritchie was pretty good, but just because he was the first guy to do it, don't make him the best. Let's face it, he was boring next to Emerson.
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2011 at 10:47
I remember an interview with Queen's producer Roy Thomas Baker where he said Brian May was a huge fan of Davy O'List's guitar playing and would often be down the Marquee watching The Nice. Baker produced an album by O'List's post-Nice band Jet - totally unlike The Nice, sort of Glam rock with flashy guitar playing and almost a new wave feel.

"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
resurrection View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 00:11
Originally posted by NickHall NickHall wrote:

I get fed up with people having a go at Emerson because he's the best. OK, Billy Ritchie was pretty good, but just because he was the first guy to do it, don't make him the best. Let's face it, he was boring next to Emerson.
So he should have jumped around a bit more? Would that have made the music better? Personally, I like both of them, I don't see a need for comparison.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 23:08
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

I remember an interview with Queen's producer Roy Thomas Baker where he said Brian May was a huge fan of Davy O'List's guitar playing and would often be down the Marquee watching The Nice. Baker produced an album by O'List's post-Nice band Jet - totally unlike The Nice, sort of Glam rock with flashy guitar playing and almost a new wave feel.

Never noticed that. That solo he does on "Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon" does sound like a bit like O'List's style of playing.

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Personally, Lee Jackson wasn't a bad vocalist, however I admit the guy could be hit or miss. Compare say, the Live version of "Ars Longa Vita Brevis" during the show at Fairfield Hall (Sept. 29, 1968) to the studio version. The former has him delivering a larger than life performance, as if he was in some sort of swashbuckler flick. The energy on the studio version, on the other hand, is just gone.

BTW, O'List does some good singing on the original version of "Azrael" and the chorus of "Tantalising Maggie"
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 00:24
Back in 2004 I ran across a website (unknown to me now), where someone was selling a live recording of the Nice with Ritchie Blackmore on guitar. I guess you had to submit a fee and the person would transfer it to cd and mail it to your address. Apparently Ritchie Blackmore sat in for one night. I remember researching it and finding the information about that particular gig. I am going to do a search on it now.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 00:55
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 01:14
From the Peace-Pop-World-Concert on 30th March 1970 at the Berliner Sportpalast ....Berlin, Germany......Christ I thought Blackmore would have sat in on "Rondo" but apparently not.  This is strange

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>