Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDemo for download. Need opinions please:)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Demo for download. Need opinions please:)
    Posted: June 25 2005 at 16:27
Hello progrockers!!!

(I know there is another forum for this, but it doesn't seem is anyone would post in it )

A friend of mine, a member of this forum and organisator of INDIGOfest, a Czech art/progressive rock festival held every autumn in Prague recommended progarchives.com to me.
My band Persona Grata decided to give 64kbit version of our demo for download, because the most important thing for us now is feedback. And that is what I want to ask you for. Please, tell us what you think about this song. Don't concentrate on the sound quality, because what you hear are only 64kbit wma's (the good thing is that the files are really small this way). Thank you for each comment. I hope you will enjoy it. (if you only want to check one song, check Orient Express for immediate action:))

1. Nebesky Zvon
2. Agent 007/8
3. Istanbul (intro)
4. Orient Express
5. Venice (outro)

Each comment/review is very important to us. I appreciate it! Thank you!
P.S.:
If you for some reason would reeeeeeeeeaaly like it and decide to buy this CD, contact me at [email protected] (price would be 4 euro + shipping).

Edited by MMhardKy
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 16:48

It's very nice (Orient Express)! I especially like the first slow part with the guitar solo, and later on the harpsichord part.

Do you have an account with Ebay? That would be the easiest way to sell it.

The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 17:14
Well I've listened to the first track and I'm rather impressed. Great blending of rock, metal and classical aspects - the one thing I'd say is that at times there wasn't an awful lot to grab hold of. Lovely harmonies, lovely textures, great choice of instruments and styles but there's nothing truly memorable other than the overall impression of the piece. On the strength of that piece though, I'd probably consider buying an album if I had money to spare, and I'd certainly not pass up the opportunity to see you live.

I wish you luck and longevity in a very difficult (but highly rewarding) career!
MMhardKy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 17:15
To MikeEnRegalia:

No, unfortunately, I am absolutely not familiar with selling over internet (what a shame for a 21 old!!!). I sold a few copies, I'm sending them in advance and people send me 5 euros (including postage) in cash in a letter... Lame, I know. But it works (as long as people are honest). But to sell the copies for money is not our point. We just want to cover our cost. We just want people to hear our music, to get familiar with our band. We have big plans!!!

Btw.: our website:
http://www.personagrata.szm.sk
Persona Grata

Edited by MMhardKy
MMhardKy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 17:19
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Well I've listened to the first track and I'm rather impressed. Great
blending of rock, metal and classical aspects - the one thing I'd say
is that at times there wasn't an awful lot to grab hold of. Lovely
harmonies, lovely textures, great choice of instruments and styles but
there's nothing truly memorable other than the overall impression of
the piece. On the strength of that piece though, I'd probably consider
buying an album if I had money to spare, and I'd certainly not pass up
the opportunity to see you live.

I wish you luck and longevity in a very difficult (but highly rewarding) career!

Thanks! Please, listen also to Orient Express. I want to know your opinion. And Sammla Mammas Manna is one of my newest discoveries btw.!

Edited by MMhardKy
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 17:29
Originally posted by MMhardKy MMhardKy wrote:

Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Well I've listened to the first track and I'm rather impressed. Great
blending of rock, metal and classical aspects - the one thing I'd say
is that at times there wasn't an awful lot to grab hold of. Lovely
harmonies, lovely textures, great choice of instruments and styles but
there's nothing truly memorable other than the overall impression of
the piece. On the strength of that piece though, I'd probably consider
buying an album if I had money to spare, and I'd certainly not pass up
the opportunity to see you live.

Thanks! Please, listen also to Orient Express. I want to know your opinion. And Sammla Mammas Manna is one of my newest discoveries btw.!

Well! That was even more impressive! Very energetic, very tight, very moody. I love the dominance of piano in your work - a very underrated instrument, even in prog (so often sidelined by overzealous synthesiser useage).

Have you heard Taal, I wonder? A French group playing a comparable (though still quite different) heavy metal/classical hyrbid. I feel this kind of music is very much the way forward for symphonic prog - we can't keep pretending it's 1972!

The more I hear, the more convinced I am that your band's really got something - though it didn't strike me immediately as being very original, I now think you're actually doing something quite different. I hear all sorts of influences, old and new, in your music but the overall result is rather unique. Good stuff indeed!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 17:56
Hey! I really liked "Orient Express" . That was quite impressive, you guys are very capable musicians. very nice guitar riffs, and piano parts...  Somewhat heavy, but not too heavy for my tastes!

Keep up the good work! I think I will download the whole demo 
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 19:31
Very good stuff. Unlike Trouserpress I cannot see any similarity with Taal (one of my favorites), but still your music is very impressive. Really pleasant surprise late at night tonight. Keep going, guys, good luck! and looking forward to hearing more from your band! 
carefulwiththataxe
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 19:42

Very good,Jan!

A very nice surprise.Enjoyed it immensely but would need to play it a few times to see if it has that elusive quality of being able to dominate my Cd player.Only time will tell.

Sometimes the bass drum intrudes too much on the keyboards.......

Edited by Tony R
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 20:22

And after second time listen - Bravo! it's bloody good, it is !

I would not hesitate a second to recommend you to all prog-lovers, and will tell my friends about you tomorrow.

Get us more of your stuff !

carefulwiththataxe
MMhardKy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 06:53
People, seriously, thank you for your wonderful comments! I am surprised by what appreciation we gain at various places. I hope somebody will give us the opportunity to perform live somewhere.

(Oh, my thread was moved to an area were nobody posts, but can it still be seen in the prog lounge area?)

Edited by MMhardKy
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 07:03

People, seriously, thank you for your wonderful comments! I am surprised by what appreciation we gain at various places. I hope somebody will give us the opportunity to perform live somewhere.

(Oh, my thread was moved to an area were nobody posts, but can it still be seen in the prog lounge area?)

well we do post here sometimes

I'm curious, seeing many positive responses, I will download this immediatly, and give it a listen.

cheers

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
MMhardKy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 14:02
Yeah, but I'm afraid I won't get any more opinions in this area. Still thank you for all the feedback!
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 14:28

Yeah, but I'm afraid I won't get any more opinions in this area. Still thank you for all the feedback!

well, this is the Get The Word Out thread, so it doesn't happen much that someone starts a thread here, doesn't mean an active thread will go unnoticed.

Better still, as long as there's no new threads started, this one will remain visible at the top in the specified forum, so no heavy traffic, but most people will eventually see it

Listened the demo some three times today

sounds a bit familiar at places, reminiscent to some Discipline/Overhead/Riverside, with some nice piano parts (reminded me of Renaissance at places)

like it

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 15:50
Well, with all the excitement over these downloads I had to go ahead and listen to the whole thing.  Overall, I was very impressed.  The two epic length tracks were particularly impressive.  You guys obviously have the compositional skill and the chops to make excellent music.  Orient Express was my favorite of the downloads, followed pretty closely by the first track.  Those two definitely piqued my interest enough to warrant multiple listenings.  Agent 007/8 was amusingly titled and also a good piece.  Although I wouldn't have minded had that been stretched out a bit longer and allowed to develop.  The same could be said for Venice.  A very interesting piece but much too short.  The only thing bad I have to say about it is that the intro (Istanbul) really didn't do much for me.  But considering there was 25 minutes of good music, the two minutes I didn't care for were insignificant.  Keep up the good work.  Would like to hear more from you guys.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Storm-Crow View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 18:54
Brilliant
Take a salt tablet!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply