Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgressive blues - is such thing exist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 11:36
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I'm not sure how one can sound like Robert Johnson, BB King, or Muddy Waters and be 'progessive' at the same time.

Maybe some one else can cite an artist doing 'prog blues' ala the old timers...?

THIS

I just wanna see someone like Robert Johnson mixing in classical vibes and continually going further and further away from the beaten path. It would probably need to be a modern artist to have all those types of flavors.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 14:19
The first time BB King met and heard David Gilmour play, he asked, _ Sure you weren't born in Mississippi? 

So, I guess Floyd must be a progressive blues band. And in that vein, some of their followers must be considered as prog blues as well. Like Porcupine Tree and Riverside.

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 15:36

Those great progressive blues rock songs ought to be mentioned Cool
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 20:13
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

You can't mention Robin Trower in this thread without giving credit to where he came from...Procol Harum.  Some of their proggy songs sit smack up against straight blues numbers like "Seem To Have The Blues All The Time", "Juicy John Pink", "Something Following Me", "Taking the Time", etc...Great band...
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 21:16
Speaking of Robin Trower, I think you really have to look at Jimi Hendrix for the manner in which he stretched the blues into amazing soundscapes:

How about Baroque blues?

And if this can't be considered "progressive blues" I don't know what is:

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 21:50
Peter Gabriel - Waiting for the Big One
Steve Hackett - Let Me Count the Ways
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 21:56

LIVE

Edited by Svetonio - July 03 2013 at 21:58
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2013 at 06:03
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

Peter Gabriel - Waiting for the Big One
Steve Hackett - Let Me Count the Ways

Both are the masterpieces
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2013 at 06:13
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

The first time BB King met and heard David Gilmour play, he asked, _ Sure you weren't born in Mississippi?  So, I guess Floyd must be a progressive blues band. And in that vein, some of their followers must be considered as prog blues as well. Like Porcupine Tree and Riverside.  

Progressive Blues always seemed a contradiction in terminis to me. Nevertheless, blues lay at the roots of Pink Floyd: the band was named after two blues musicians, Pink Anderson and Floyd Council.

Edited by someone_else - July 04 2013 at 06:13
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2013 at 12:32
...ought to be mentioned ...

Edited by Svetonio - July 04 2013 at 12:40
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2013 at 08:51
The version of King Crimson featuring Boz Burrell, Ian Wallace and Mel Collins became pretty saturated in jazz, blues and R&B - much more than Fripp wanted them to be, which contributed to the demise of that lineup. Some of the live recordings are definitely worth it if this interests you. There's a teasing excerpt at the end of Ladies of the Road (disc 1) where they play the opening bars of In The Court of the Crimson King as an electric blues in the style of John Lee Hooker. Would have loved to hear more of that!

Also of note is the Live at Summit Studios recording of this band - unusual because they played without mellotron and the resulting stripped-down sound is less 'proggy' and more jazzy / bluesy as a result. This recording also has them covering Pharaoh Sanders' The Creator Has A Master Plan which is something to hear.

Edited by Mascodagama - July 06 2013 at 08:52
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2013 at 14:14
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

The version of King Crimson featuring Boz Burrell, Ian Wallace and Mel Collins became pretty saturated in jazz, blues and R&B - much more than Fripp wanted them to be, which contributed to the demise of that lineup. Some of the live recordings are definitely worth it if this interests you. There's a teasing excerpt at the end of Ladies of the Road (disc 1) where they play the opening bars of In The Court of the Crimson King as an electric blues in the style of John Lee Hooker. Would have loved to hear more of that!

The entire song can be heard on disc 2 of the King Crimson Collectors Club #18  "Live in Detroit - December 13, 1971".  Fripp introduces it with, "This is for our manager David".  At one point in his blues wailing, Boz sings, "I'm here and I've been caught with the crimson thing in my hand".  After the end, the audience is very quiet so Ian Wallace asks the crowd, "Are you satisfied?   Are you baffled?"

Then they go into this incredibly quiet and gentle version of "Lady of the Dancing Water"...

Completely brilliant LOL

Edited by The.Crimson.King - July 06 2013 at 14:17
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2013 at 15:22
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

The entire song can be heard on disc 2 of the King Crimson Collectors Club #18  "Live in Detroit - December 13, 1971".  Fripp introduces it with, "This is for our manager David".  At one point in his blues wailing, Boz sings, "I'm here and I've been caught with the crimson thing in my hand".  After the end, the audience is very quiet so Ian Wallace asks the crowd, "Are you satisfied?   Are you baffled?"

Completely brilliant LOL

Thanks very much for that information TCK!

The weird thing is that I've actually got that CD - it's in my pile of stuff waiting to be listened to . I'd not realised it had this version on it, though. So I'm off to listen to it now...

Cheers!

Bandcamp Profile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2013 at 16:27
^ You're very welcome...have fun!  The first time I heard it I fell out of my chair laughing LOL
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2013 at 17:57
^...and what the hell was the thing with the 7 UP??

Overall that is the oddest Crimson live recording I've heard yet.

"Caught With The Crimson Thing" really deserves to be a track title, if not an album title
Bandcamp Profile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2013 at 18:59
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

^...and what the hell was the thing with the 7 UP??

Overall that is the oddest Crimson live recording I've heard yet.

"Caught With The Crimson Thing" really deserves to be a track title, if not an album title

That was Ian Wallace and apparently he was quite the comedian.  There's another Crimso Collectors Club disc (I think it's #9 - "Live at Summit Studio's 1972") where he does the entire Monty Python Gumby Flower Arranging sketch for the Colorado radio staff.  Since Monty Python's Flying Circus wasn't broadcast in the US until 1974, the American's in attendance had no idea what this nut job was talking about LOL

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 05:41
This is a good one...Kraut Blues???

Orange Peel

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 08:42
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

That was Ian Wallace and apparently he was quite the comedian.  There's another Crimso Collectors Club disc (I think it's #9 - "Live at Summit Studio's 1972") where he does the entire Monty Python Gumby Flower Arranging sketch for the Colorado radio staff.  Since Monty Python's Flying Circus wasn't broadcast in the US until 1974, the American's in attendance had no idea what this nut job was talking about LOL

Yeah it's the Summit Studios one - must admit I tend to skip the 'Gumby' track. It loses its appeal a bit after the first couple of listens.

Mind you with the comprehensive DGM release schedule it's probably only a matter of time before we get a compilation CD of Ian's stand up comedy routines from various gigs

Edited by Mascodagama - July 08 2013 at 08:45
Bandcamp Profile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 09:27
I still think we are missing an aspect of the original point of the thread......We have all named progressive blues rock bands but my impression was that the thread starter is interested  in progressive blues artists that embody the original bluesmen. I honestly can't think of any since if they were playing in that classic blues tradition, prog or not, would it still be considered blues..?
This is why I mentioned Black Keys, Gary Clark, etc but these guys are not really progressive blues as much as an update on it. And the others mentioned are progressive  blues rock.

Smurph mentioned someone playing ala Robert Johnson but in a progressive manner...is that even possible?

Edited by dr wu23 - July 08 2013 at 09:33
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 09:57

I still think we are missing an aspect of the original point of the thread......We have all named progressive blues rock bands but my impression was that the thread starter is interested  in progressive blues artists that embody the original bluesmen. I honestly can't think of any since if they were playing in that classic blues tradition, prog or not, would it still be considered blues..?
Nope... and Nope. The OP by awaken77 was:

"Is there such thing like "progressive blues" or "progressive blues-rock", with obvious blues roots, but some prog-alike song structures ?"

Smurph's question about actual Progressive Blues was 4 pages later

This is why I mentioned Black Keys, Gary Clark, etc but these guys are not really progressive blues as much as an update on it. And the others mentioned are progressive  blues rock.

Smurph mentioned someone playing ala Robert Johnson but in a progressive manner...is that even possible?

Nope.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>