Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
49 [43.36%]
64 [56.64%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 14:42
"2112" all the way for me.  It was the start of their classic period, and each song seems to flow in a way that "Tarkus" (in my opinion) does not.  Case in point: I fell asleep while listening to "Tarkus"; I never did with "2112".
Lark the Starless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 17:32
I actually thought 2112 might take it but Tarkus is proving otherwise.

I'm pleasantly surprised. Tongue
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 18:14
Definitely Tarkus. And speaking of which, has anyone seen this girl who posts videos on You Tube. She's been working her way through the Emerson songbook and is incredible!

"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 18:46
Tarkus is fairly good. The start of the title track, Bitches crystal, The only way are cool
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 19:44
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

Definitely Tarkus. And speaking of which, has anyone seen this girl who posts videos on You Tube. She's been working her way through the Emerson songbook and is incredible!

Yep, stumbled on this by accident (Check out her version of  the Fugue from the middle of the Endless Enigma)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 19:46
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

And the meek shall inherit the Earth.....

not unless the spectral torch gets them

...but not the mineral rights
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 19:53
Originally posted by nahnite nahnite wrote:

"2112" all the way for me.  It was the start of their classic period, and each song seems to flow in a way that "Tarkus" (in my opinion) does not.  Case in point: I fell asleep while listening to "Tarkus"; I never did with "2112".

Well I don't fall asleep but I do find my mind wandering while listening....but then I snap out of it and come back to point.....
I actually listened to both the other day and yea, I pay more attention to 2112, but it could do with the fact that it has pauses between movements.
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 20:15
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Yep, stumbled on this by accident (Check out her version of  the Fugue from the middle of the Endless Enigma)

Amazing talent. Most of the Emerson copyists I've seen basically reproduce what he played, whereas she actually interprets it and adds something of her own. She does wonderful versions of the Piano Concerto and Five Bridges.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 23:46
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

Very impressive!

Tarkus of course, one of Prog's most elaborated pieces, though not one of my faves.

2112 is solid heavy prog.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2011 at 03:28
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Well I don't fall asleep but I do find my mind wandering while listening....but then I snap out of it and come back to point.....
I actually listened to both the other day and yea, I pay more attention to 2112, but it could do with the fact that it has pauses between movements.

Tarkus is fairly disjointed. Started off as an instrumental peice that Greg Lake considered something that Emerson should be doing on a solo album not with ELP. But he relented and added lyrics as well as a few songs. The live versions 1973-74 showed that ELP tried to make it a more fluid peice. With 2112 you do have some great dramatic pauses which adds to it. Both are great really but its good that ELP are getting plaudits as they often ...ermm ...don't Big smile
kevin4peace View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2011 at 08:41
Tarkus no doubt. The title track is their best song, and the second side isn't as bad as most make it out to be. Maybe 'Ready Eddie' at the end spoiled people's general impression of side B?
Nothing to say here. Nothing at all. Nothing is easy.
Say'en View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2011 at 15:46
I would have to go with Tarkus; For scope, depth & outright Panache. Still not either bands best work. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2011 at 15:50
Originally posted by kevin4peace kevin4peace wrote:

Tarkus no doubt. The title track is their best song, and the second side isn't as bad as most make it out to be. Maybe 'Ready Eddie' at the end spoiled people's general impression of side B?

The second side just sounds like a tacked on afterthought now. The reality is that the Tarkus suite was a bold 'progressive' statement that ELP at the time were not sure would be accepted or even liked. So they hedged their bets a bit with side two including shorter more rougher sounding tracks which explore a little bit of humour as well as serious theological issues.The best track for me on side two is A Time And A Place closely followed by Bitches Crystal. Both of those are respectable 4 star tracks but the 'humourous' tracks don't do them any favours while the lyrics on The Only Way come across as a bit naive and overly simpllistic. Side two is a bit messy and perhaps just showed a lack of confidence.

Edited by richardh - August 13 2011 at 15:51
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2011 at 16:14
Tarkus. I like the title song more, and the side B too I think, it's a bit under-rated in my opinion. It's not bad at all.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
40footwolf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2011 at 19:30
I've never been able to even make it all the way through 2112, so Tarkus easily. 
Heaven's made a cesspool of us all.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2011 at 20:33
Both are very skilful, adventurous and brave attempts to present rock on a larger canvas. The only thing they have in common is running time and a thoroughly gauche and w.a.n.k.y hippy cosmiche storyline.

Voted for Tarkus, it ain't 'better' I just like it more.
resurrection View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2011 at 00:42
Tarkus by a country mile.
criticdrummer94 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2011 at 00:58

Tarkus is fairly disjointed. Started off as an instrumental peice that Greg Lake considered something that Emerson should be doing on a solo album not with ELP. But he relented and added lyrics as well as a few songs. The live versions 1973-74 showed that ELP tried to make it a more fluid peice. With 2112 you do have some great dramatic pauses which adds to it. Both are great really but its good that ELP are getting plaudits as they often ...ermm ...don't Big smile

It's also interesting that they almost broke up as a band over this song

MY IDOLS
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2011 at 03:00
Originally posted by criticdrummer94 criticdrummer94 wrote:

Yes indeed. Lake was very unhappy but I guess he had to accept it as he didn't have anything betterBig smile
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2011 at 06:24

Originally posted by criticdrummer94 criticdrummer94 wrote:

Yes indeed. Lake was very unhappy but I guess he had to accept it as he didn't have anything betterBig smile

I wonder how much he added, or took away though, since he was the one who produced the album.
I can easily imagine that Emerson's original composition would be enjoyable to extreme piano afficionados only. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>