Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 61>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RIREINC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2018 at 19:59
Here in Mexico, FM stations are quickly dying, however, the local uni has a program in which they often talk about prog and play full albums. Which is great I think... just the other day I could catch the last song from 'In the Court of the Crimson King'.
Listen to Learn, Learn to Live and Live to Listen
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 01:40
The sitcom Loudermilk referenced Dark Side Of The Moon , Fear Of A Blank Planet and Emerson, Lake and Palmer in episode 5 (season 1) . Quite impressed by the PT reference , someone on the writing team is obviously is a real proggy. The ELP reference was a bit of a put down (surprise surprise) although I did laugh. At the end of pointless discussion about her record collection the woman says ''I'm not going to apologise for Emerson , Lake and Palmer''.
It's a very funny show. If anyone likes Californication , then its a bit in that mould.

Edited by richardh - March 04 2018 at 01:42
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 22:07
Originally posted by RIREINC RIREINC wrote:

Here in Mexico, FM stations are quickly dying, however, the local uni has a program in which they often talk about prog and play full albums. Which is great I think... just the other day I could catch the last song from 'In the Court of the Crimson King'.

Welcome to PA!  Be sure to tell us more about the prog music scene in Mexico, I know nothing about it!! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 13:35
^ I don't really know as much as I should about mexican prog bands, but what little I do know: There's "Iconoclasta", of whom I have Soliloquio (and is very nice) and "Cast" (of whom I have "Originalis" and "Castarsis", both of which are great, specially their epics "Frente al Umbar" and "El Puente"). There's Elfonía (both albums are very nice, and they had a singer that was later championed by Arjen Lucassen, and helped her create the dutch band Stream of Passion). And the newest bands I know are "Deep Limbic System", whom have released no full album yet, and have so far sung in english; and "Ekos", whose two albums are great.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 13:45
Heart of Lothian - Marillion, in a Morrisons supermarket FFS! Almost fainted over the fresh broccoli in amazement!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
RIREINC View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RIREINC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 20:21
In the street you can find these guys, I think this was 5 years ago (!) but they something re-emerge from the shadows and I hope I can find a full release from them. 

Listen to Learn, Learn to Live and Live to Listen
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 21:28
I just saw in the animated series of Superman, from the 90's, an episode were a character called Mxyzptlk appears. When he explains Superman how to pronounce his name he shows 3 immages to depict the something similar in pronuciation to a part of his name... for the middle one he takes out an album portrait very similar to a Yes album (and says Yes).
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 23:02
I suppose this counts. I went to see a Rolling Stones cover band tonight and the bass player was wearing a Magma t shirt. :D 

He didn't seem to be up much on the current prog scene(never heard of Big Big Train)but at least seemed to know Steven Wilson and Gentle Giant.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 18 2018 at 23:09
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 21:53
While watching the US talk show "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert," they opened with a skit of FBI agents discussing what to name the Trump investigation. 

Of course, eventually the FBI decided upon "Crossfire Hurricane" from the Rolling Stones song "Jumping Jack Flash," but one of the agents took exception to this selection and pushed hard for "King Crimson!" 

The agent specifically mentioned ITCOTCK, Wake of Poseidon, LTIA, Schizoid Man etc.!  If the video ever surfaces, I'll post it.  Hilarious!
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 20:39
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2018 at 14:05
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Thanks, I just found it myself! 

0:38 = "King Crimson? In the Court of the Crimson King?  Wake of Poseidon?  Lark's Tongues in Aspic?"

Never heard that on late night comedy before!!  Clap
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2018 at 15:44
"Yeah, we all know who King Crimson is."
"King Crimson is like heavy metal goes to college."
"You shut your mouth!"
LOL
Lamneth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lamneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 13:55
I heard Dear Hunter playing at Lowes a while back.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2018 at 13:37
Not too much of a stretch, but this morning while I was shopping at an Orchard hardware store in West L.A., Genesis' Abacab was playing over the speakers and was faded out quickly to a shorter version to make way for some '80s tune of little distinction (no, it wasn't the single version).

Edited by Rednight - May 30 2018 at 13:38
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2018 at 16:52
I heard Asia's "don't cry" the other day in Shop Rite. Probably not that much of a stretch either. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2018 at 18:16
I heard "fanfare for the common man" in the grocery store today. It wasn't the ELP version and didn't seem to be the Copeland version either. Not sure which one it was. It being the fourth of July might have something to do with them playing it though. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 15:28
Ok, I heard another Asia song today in public. This time it was "voice of america" at the grocery store. That's the first time I ever heard that one in public.
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2018 at 00:07
Went to a Wal-Mart the other day, heard "We Want Mine" by Crack the Sky of all bands.
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2018 at 08:15
I've heard some other interesting things in the grocery store recently but can't remember what most of them were. I did however hear Led Zeppelin's "moby dick" which is something I have never even heard on the radio I don't think(or very rarely if I have). Kudos to the guy who creates the playlist for grocery store music.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 10:11
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Ok, I heard another Asia song today in public. This time it was "voice of america" at the grocery store. That's the first time I ever heard that one in public.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 61>