Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 61>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2016 at 15:57
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Originally posted by A_Flower A_Flower wrote:

^It was, I saw it. Only good part of the Grammys.

On another reference, yesterday in my history class we learned about the seed drill inventor Jethro Tull. Sadly, my teacher never mentioned the band and when he said "A man named Jethro Tull" I almost yelled "It's a BAND! Not a person!"

I recall (I think) that this very thing happened in Independence Day.
oh yeah, Pink Floyd, I have HIS albums..........heard that a few times over the years coming from various ignoramus people........
The other day at work, a shopper overheard me talking to a colleague about Deep Purple and commented, nothing special there, but then he mentioned Uriah Heep, ELP, Yes - O.K. Then on a later day, I served him at the counter and he mentioned Todd 'Rungen' (then corrected himself to say Rundgren) and said " Singring And The Glass Guitar was something special ". Now that was a surprise
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2016 at 16:17
The guy who helped us bring the lights to our car from the warehouse saw CTTE on my back seat and told us he  was a big Yes fan...it was a surprise too but a pleasant one.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2016 at 06:57
During some late night TV the other morning, I caught an ad for a men's fragrance by Paco Rabanne (something about a goddess running around Olympus [?]) that was accompanied by your typical rap song, but with a twist: at the end of the ad the singer croaked the line "21st century schizoid man" in perhaps an homage to the Crimso' classic. Intrigued, I would have liked to have heard the entire song redone by whatever group performed on this commercial.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDPascalDD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2016 at 07:11
I saw that ad too, it's a song from pop-artist kanye west. And if memory serves well today, I posted it here some time ago... I'll look for it
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDPascalDD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2016 at 07:12
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

So I just watched TV and then the commercials came, so I didn't pay a lot of attantion to it. I heard some pop song that I'd heard somewhere already and suddenly I heard the lyric: TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY SCHIZOID MAAAAAN!
This is the ad:

Apparently it's from this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L53gjP-TtGE
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2016 at 08:07
^^^The song is "Power" by Kanye West
User Banned for this Post
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2016 at 09:58

^^^The song is "Power" by Kanye West
Thanks, A_Flower and DDPascalDD! If it's Kanye West, I don't feel the need to hear him cover 'Schizoid Man in its entirety.

Edited by Rednight - March 15 2016 at 10:01
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2016 at 19:29
 Didn't expect THIS one!!  I downloaded the "2015 Data Breach Investigations Report" from Verizon, and it opens with:  

Welcome (and welcome back), friends, to our annual showcase of security breaches. We’re so glad you could attend; come inside, come inside.

-----

Considering the recent loss of Keith Emerson, I thought it was "weird!"  Don't they owe ELP a royalty?? 

It is rather damned interesting reading!!  Have fun, Chuck!  
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2016 at 02:20
Speaking of rights did RF give permission for KW to sample 21st C.S.M?

If not (and we know what RF is like) things could be quite entertaining if he becomes that 21st C.S.M. 

I still think KW sounds like Frank (Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em) Spencer fronting Motorhead.
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2016 at 09:11

If not (and we know what RF is like) things could be quite entertaining if he becomes that 21st C.S.M. 

I still think KW sounds like Frank (Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em) Spencer fronting Motorhead.

I recently read that Kanye did not ask for permission to use Schizoid, and, obviously, Fripp took legal action. However, Greg Lake was excited and really happy to hear his voice on a Kanye West song.

Personally, I'm kinda sad that Kanye West used it, because I can't scare my friends at school or my sister with that song. They just go "That's Kanye West! That's not scary!"   
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2016 at 13:51
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Didn't expect THIS one!!  I downloaded the "2015 Data Breach Investigations Report" from Verizon, and it opens with:  

Welcome (and welcome back), friends, to our annual showcase of security breaches. We’re so glad you could attend; come inside, come inside.

-----

Considering the recent loss of Keith Emerson, I thought it was "weird!"  Don't they owe ELP a royalty?? 

It is rather damned interesting reading!!  Have fun, Chuck!  

I sent an email about this to Greg Lake's management, as fans, I believe we owe it to our musicians to help them protect their copyrights:

Hello, Stewart!  

I was reading the attached report on cybersecurity from Verizon, “2015 Data Breach Investigations Report,” and was shocked that they opened it this way: 

The report is available for download at this website address, the quoted part is right in the front “Introduction” section. 

That’s a bit, well, cheeky, isn’t it??   At least, they are ELP fans!   However, they may owe Greg a royalty….?

I just wanted to bring it to your attention….still reeling from the loss of Keith.  
========

I received this reply:

Dear Charles,

Thank you for your email.  This has been forwarded onto the relevant department.

Kind Regards,

Adam Sargent

www.qedg.co.uk

GreatBeyonder View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreatBeyonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2016 at 16:31
A friend had ELP's Lucky Man played at his funeral a few years back.

Edited by GreatBeyonder - March 16 2016 at 16:31
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2016 at 23:18

I recently read that Kanye did not ask for permission to use Schizoid, and, obviously, Fripp took legal action. However, Greg Lake was excited and really happy to hear his voice on a Kanye West song.

Personally, I'm kinda sad that Kanye West used it, because I can't scare my friends at school or my sister with that song. They just go "That's Kanye West! That's not scary!"   

OK, so now perhaps you can show them some Il Balleto di Bronzo.   
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2016 at 07:57
I just heard a Mort Garson track on a local radio. Probably the most unexpected thing ever Shocked
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2016 at 08:05
I was picking up my new Honda recently, and while I was waiting I heard "Hocus Pocus" as well as "Freedom Rider" by Traffic.  I asked the salesperson where the music was coming from and he alluded to some sort of mancave in the basement of the building, but not specifically whether it was somebody's playlist, satellite radio, maybe even a prog radio station

Edited by kenethlevine - April 07 2016 at 08:06
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2016 at 08:12
^ Two awesome songs to drive to Tongue
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2016 at 18:03

^It was, I saw it. Only good part of the Grammys.

On another reference, yesterday in my history class we learned about the seed drill inventor Jethro Tull. Sadly, my teacher never mentioned the band and when he said "A man named Jethro Tull" I almost yelled "It's a BAND! Not a person!"

I recall (I think) that this very thing happened in Independence Day.

That was Owen Wilson's character in Armageddon. During his psych eval he stated his pet peeve as being "people who think Jethro Tull is a person."
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2016 at 18:51
I was eating dinner with my daughter in a pretty grotty student bar yesterday while Owner of a Lonely Heart was playing.  I don't call it prog but in the context it seemed almost cool.
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2016 at 20:47
I just got a ride home from my friend and heard "Nellie Takes Her Bow" by ELO on the radio
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2016 at 20:52
^How rare.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 61>