Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 61>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2016 at 19:12

IMO there have been too many posts in this thread about someone hearing in a mall or supermarket or even over a radio songs like Roundabout, Owner of a Lonely Heart, Aqualung, Lucky Man, tracks from DSOTM or Deep Purple’s version of Hush.  Since those are all songs that are mainstays of so-called classic rock radio, how unexpected can they be?

Having said all that, I wish I had a good example of my own right now. Embarrassed

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 03:55
Did I mention I first heard Yes' The Ancient on daytime AM radio.

Now that was unexpected. 'course it was a long time ago so it's probably irrelevant.
Phailman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phailman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2016 at 13:53
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

They would also serve Ales from Topographic Oceans.

Clap
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2016 at 20:37
Earlier tonight when I went shopping at the local grocery store I saw a guy in the frozen food aisle wearing a shirt that said "Roxy and Elsewhere" on it. It turned out to be a Dweezil Zappa tour shirt. I have to say it took me by surprise.

Anyway, I did talk to the guy for a few minutes. He told me he was born in 75 so I guess that makes him about 41. It turns out he's maybe a semi prog fan. He didn't seem to be too big into Yes but like the Peter Gabriel era Genesis a lot as well as King Crimson. Also, he didn't seem to like Gentle Giant and never heard of Van der Graaf Generator. However, he did seem to know who Porcupine Tree and Steve Wilson are though(I'd be surprised if he didn't)and also at least heard of Marillion. He also seemed to know about and possibly like Can. That's about it. Lol. Oh yeah, I did tell him about this site too. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 17 2016 at 20:38
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2016 at 04:40
This may have more meaning for UK readers.  One Saturday afternoon in the late 1980s, I arrived at Meadow Lane, the home of Notts County FC.  Playing through the PA was 'In the Cage' (Lamb version) - in it's entirety.  Every home game, the players were invited to pick their favourite track and this was the choice of David Kevan - central defender!  I was blown away - normally it was something by Luther Vandross, etc.  He returned as caretaker manager a few years ago.

Now, that was prog in an unexpected place!!
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinprog77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 02:45
i was watching in netflix  the transporter :the serie .and the this song comes  

Edited by martinprog77 - October 19 2016 at 02:45
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 18:36
Wow, here's something unexpected. Today in between segments on NPR I heard maybe ten seconds of "peaches en regalia" by Frank Zappa.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 19 2016 at 18:39
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquonkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2016 at 18:32
I was at the local supermarket this evening and thought I heard something familiar playing over the PA system. The store was very busy and very loud so I couldn't tell for sure what was playing until the song got to the chorus. Then I could make it out. "Turn it on. Turn it on, turn it on, turn it on again." First time I've ever heard that played anywhere in public.

Edited by SquonkHunter - November 18 2016 at 18:37
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2016 at 12:25
I was once watching college football in a bar somewhere, and as things headed into the commercial and the score was shown, the beginning of Steve Hackett's Funny Feeling was heard. I've heard it used several other times in the same manner for both college and NFL football telecasts.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
bcshelton72 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcshelton72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2016 at 08:33
I once heard And You And I, the sublime middle instrumental passage, while standing in a gas station / convenience store checkout line. Honestly it was a beautiful thing. I shift between musical genres every so often, and that was the impetus towards another prog phase.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 03:12
I am convinced that the 5 notes prior to our local train station announcements are the first 5 notes of "Old as Your Young" by Gentle Giant....honestly!!
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 02:50
ELP in a shopping mall. Mind you it was "I Believe In Father Christmas"....
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zappaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 03:47
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

At my son's middle school graduation several years back, a classmate of his performed a section of Yes' The Revealing Science of God for the crowd on acoustic guitar which pretty much left it dumbfounded, apparently not knowing what the hell they were hearing. It just about brought a tear to my eye.

My nephew plays trumpet and is involved with band at his school.  At a Halloween-related program put on by the school, one of the songs they played was Rush's "Witch Hunt".

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 17:17
...listening to Fripp's brilliant guitar work in David Bowie's masterwork "Heroes," playing on the house stereo whilst sitting in a coffee shop....

RIP David!  A fine song indeed.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 17:32
About maybe ten years ago(if not more)I was in a bar and remember someone playing "yours is no disgrace" by Yes on the jukebox. The guy was probably around my age or maybe a bit younger so it kind of surprised me a bit. 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2016 at 11:52
Well, my TV set isn't a public place, but last Thursday night during the Rams-Seahawks broadcast, a breakdown of each team's salary cap was shown with 'Floyd's Money played in the background. This was certainly seen and possibly heard over thousands of big screens in sports bars and taverns across the land, although the song is about the most grandest of crossover hits that prog can offer. Almost non-prog, in'nent it?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Replayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2016 at 16:21
A few days after Greg Lake's untimely passing earlier this month, I was with some some coworkers at a barbecue restaurant when I heard a faint, but familiar song playing in the background. It was I Talk to the Wind and it honestly surprised me as I was expecting either country or classic rock staples.
I was the only one in my group who recognized the song, even though most were at least a decade older. This prompted a short discussion on Greg Lake, ELP and the mechanics of the Mellotron.

Edited by Replayer - December 31 2016 at 16:23
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 10:22
I was in McDonald's last night (don't judge) and they were playing Watcher Of The Skies.

Big Mac and Genesis? A great recipe!!!
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 18:44
Not the most prog moment of a prog related band, but Mrs Hudson was blasting Number of the Beast on her headphones while vacuuming on the latest episode of Sherlock. Damn near peed my pants.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2017 at 18:25
I was in a record store earlier today that was 60 or more percent rap, hip hop, raggae and soul, but they were playing ELP's The Barbarian over the PA. Didn't expect that!
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 61>