Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 61>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2022 at 22:46
I went into Boston Pizza (pretty big chain in Canada) tonight to hear Lost by Van Der Graaf Generator... followed up by Lady Fantasy, Red Barchetta, Nine-Feet Underground, Starship Trooper and Ashes Are Burning. I guess they were just listening to a Stingray channel; must have been the prog hour because they were playing that "Give me the beat boys" song as I left.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2022 at 14:24
Today while waiting in the doctor's office there was a tv show on that was playing "hocus pocus" by Focus.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2022 at 08:44
There was a seller at the local flea market wearing a Yessongs tee (no, he wasn't selling vinyl) so I walked up to him and he passed the "NAME THREE SONGS BY THAT BAND ON YOUR SHIRT" test. 

Not so much for the girl in the Misfits tee or her boyfriend (with the Joy Division shirt) in the adjacent booth.

That's me. Keeping people honest since 1962.
The Prog Corner
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2022 at 09:22
If I see another Joy Division shirt, I'll puke.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2022 at 09:31
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

There was a seller at the local flea market wearing a Yessongs tee (no, he wasn't selling vinyl) so I walked up to him and he passed the "NAME THREE SONGS BY THAT BAND ON YOUR SHIRT" test. 

Not so much for the girl in the Misfits tee or her boyfriend (with the Joy Division shirt) in the adjacent booth.

That's me. Keeping people honest since 1962.

You must have seen this video. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2022 at 20:18
I was just watching a bit of Battlebots and they showed a guy in the audience wearing a shirt with Crimson King faces all over it. This was an unusual shirt since it wasn't just one face but many faces on it (they only showed it for about a second though).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 10 2022 at 20:18
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2022 at 09:01
A large portion of Spock's Beard's 'June' was in the Danish TV documentary series 'Anne og Anders i Europa (Cyprus)'
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2022 at 11:40
One of the movies available to watch on United Airlines flight from Newark NJ to Barcelona Spain was one hour documentary called "ELP on tour 1973". Btw great documentary, totally unexpected surprise and highlight of my entire flight.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 18:48
Not the music, per se, but another definition of it, that I didn't know.  It came via the book I'm reading, "Horse," by Geraldine Brooks, about a great racehorse, Lexington, his skeleton, and a painting of him.  One of the principals, an art historian, mentions that his signature for some articles is "Prog," which is a term for a vagabond (or the food one obtains from foraging or begging, which I've since found).  New word!  I'm sure I'll see it around a lot now.  Wink
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 21:33
Prog Archives.com
Your Ultimate Vagabond Resource
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2022 at 07:44
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Prog Archives.com
Your Ultimate Vagabond Resource
   LOLLOLLOL
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2022 at 15:53
While at the grocery store today I saw a young guy (probably in his 20s) wearing a Hawkwind t shirt. He seemed to be with his dad (both buying alcohol apparently) who maybe got him into them.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2022 at 13:58
A few weeks back, on BBC radio 4, on a radio 'Soap opera' called 'the Archers' (a tale of real country folk.. my arse) which my wife listens to had Toyah Wilcox (playing herself) and the story mentioned Robert Fripp and 'Toyah and Robert's Sunday lunch videos'... UK readers will get how weird this is..

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2022 at 16:18
Listen to the music in the background. ;) 

Yes, I know it's been in commercials before but it's always cool to hear.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2022 at 13:02
The Hans Zimmer Wonder Woman Theme song sounds to me like a variation of Rush’s Natural Science.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2022 at 06:44
I heard Chicago - 25 or 6 to 4 played in the local shopping centre yesterday.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2022 at 11:27
British Actress Maxine Peake a Prog Rock fan, who knew.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5bStHMSmR8crbgmqYH4pfj9/seven-things-we-learned-from-maxine-peakes-desert-island-discs

"6. Maxine gives a Greek progressive rock band their first-ever play on Desert Island Discs

“I've picked this,” says Maxine talking about her fourth musical selection, “because I love my prog rock. It's not always been cool to like prog rock!”

The track is The Four Horsemen by Aphrodite’s Child, who formed in Greece in 1967, and released this song in 1972, on their concept album 666."

Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2022 at 11:57
Went to the supermarket this morning...

A 65+ ma'am pouring things in the cart with a David Gilmour t-shirt.. fairly unusual around here.

Late, black & white Dave with guitar over black, with name

Almost told her somethin'  LOL

Edited by Machinemessiah - October 16 2022 at 12:00
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 16:20
Last night during the Red Hot Chilipeppers segement on 60 minutes the lead singer Anthony Kiedis mentioned "crazy progressive rock" as one of their influences. Tongue I'm not sure who he had in mind though. Maybe King Crimson or the Mars Volta?
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 17:21
^Cool interview. The Peppers first album was 1984. So it's not Mars Volta he was referring to. Maybe Rush?

Is it just me or does AK look like Hitler?

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - February 06 2023 at 17:38
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 61>