Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 61>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calculate900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2011 at 23:20
Don't know if this really counts, but I was sitting in my astronomy class with friends as our teacher was planning on putting a laser light show on for us.  The song was supposed to be "Separate Ways" by Journey, but he selected the wrong song, and it started playing Pink Floyd's "One of These Days."  I was the only one who knew what it was and the only one who didn't want the teacher to play the correct song Tongue
purplesnake View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purplesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 00:27
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by purplesnake purplesnake wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by purplesnake purplesnake wrote:

Well I'm 15 so last year in grade 9, we had to do this project for french where we had to pick a song (that was french) and make a presentation about it, at first i picked The Strands of the Future by Pulsar but this kid in my group said it hurt his ears :( so i didnt want to argue we went along with some sh*tty song but then at presentations time.. My friend, from a different group, had chosen Harmonium! and I was barely familiar with Prog at that time but they played Harmonium (the song) and after our teacher was like what genre is this (cuz we had to record it on our sheets) and I was like "Prog rock!" And they were like "I think its Folk".I feel like there are lots of people out there who dont know anything about music, but there are many others who could understand and come to like prog if they were seen to it. I'm lucky, I used to listed to just classic rock and stuff, but fortunately alice cooper played Yes and Rush from time to time (on the radio) and with some internet searching I soon got into prog. Now I can't listen to anything else!

You should feel blessed by the fact that the world of music and wonders opened up to you at such a young age. Just beware not to fall in the trap, that some proggers do - when they think they´ve suddenly reached some form of higher moral ground - just by listening to a certain type of music. One should always remember
that out there in the big wide world, - there´s probably somebody just like you - getting the same kinds of goosebumps, just over Lady Gaga. 
I loooooove Strands of the Future by the wayBig smile

Thanks for the advice, yeah... Music is really hard to explain. The thing is almost everyone I know listens to stuff like lady gaga, and it's so difficult for me to not get angry. But now with people who I like as people who don't understand much about music I just try to change the subject when it comes up. But that's kind of hard to do when the subject is what controls my life (I play guitar, bass, piano, and flute and comepose/write music). But I think when I get into sticky situations I will always think back and remember your post.

And yeah, strands of the future is absolutely beautiful...

I know exactly what you mean. The thing is, when your music starts moving you on a personal level, it suddenly gets very difficult talking to people, who generally just follow the radio and just use it as background atmosphere - maybe the occasional dance. But maybe they find those same "mind revolutions" but in books, paintings nature - or their loved ones. You just gotta believe they "get it " too - we just so happen to do it through music that´s it reallySmile
Just keep playing music doing your thing - PA is always open, so you´ll always have somebody to talk to about music, and how stupid the rest of the world is for not getting itLOL 

Yeah! Exactly. It's not like music is the only art. My mom was a dance teacher and she'd always be pissed because no one understood the art of dance and everyone would consider dance as like just hopping up and down or some sort of competitive sport, when really it was a form of art that takes a lot of work... just like music! So yeah. What you say is very true.

And thanks, yeah, PA is mighty awesome (:
Thierry View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thierry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 07:06
Wonderful how so far away, people can enjoy Pulsar's music: they are from my hometown, Lyon (France) and Gilbert Gandil (vocals & guitars) is a friend. Thumbs Up
Progressively yours,

Thierry

http://aciddragon.eu
Thierry View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thierry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 07:12
Back to the subject: I remember it was in a small cinema in Lyon in the early eighties, while waiting for the film, we could enjoy King Crimson's 'Starless'.
And with my wife, on purpose, we used to play on a jukebox in a small town near Marseille, on the French rivieria the Doors' 'Riders on the Storm'. Imagine in August, in a region which has not a rock tradition.Wink
Progressively yours,

Thierry

http://aciddragon.eu
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinprog77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2011 at 04:51
i friend of mine that is  living in murcia,spain went to see a street carnaval and told me  about this ''freddie mercury tribute thing ''  that they made .them a couple of days later he sended me this video and . is way too funny  [especially all the old people in the front row have NO IDEA how to react to this! LOL 

Edited by martinprog77 - September 09 2011 at 04:52
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Prometej View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prometej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2011 at 12:22
About 2.5 or 3 years ago, I was in convenience store-type place on my college's campus, and the music playing was the whale song section of Pink Floyd's "Echoes".  Yes, it isPink Floyd, but you generally don't hear "Echoes" being played at convenience stores.
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirillov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2011 at 14:42
Now bear with me...

I'm sure I remember seeing Fish on a kiddie's TV show years ago. He was dressed a wizard, and was teaching the lyrics of 'Freaks' to a fraggle.

Now did it happen or did I dream it? Maybe a Fish / Marillion archivist could help!?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2011 at 18:40
Originally posted by Prometej Prometej wrote:

About 2.5 or 3 years ago, I was in convenience store-type place on my college's campus, and the music playing was the whale song section of Pink Floyd's "Echoes".  Yes, it isPink Floyd, but you generally don't hear "Echoes" being played at convenience stores.
Now that's the kind of thing I was talking about in the original post.  Anything that's got enough radio play isn't particularly surprising. Wink
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kashmir75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2011 at 21:27
When browsing a CD shop in my suburb a few years back, they were blaring DT's then-new album Black Clouds and Silver Linings over the PA.
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kashmir75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2011 at 21:35
I don't think Pink Floyd really counts. That's as mainstream and accepted as prog is likely to get. Heck, I hear Money used as background music on the evening news during finance stories all the time. Great Gig In The Sky is very popular with news programmers here, too. 

Floyd is like to prog music as Star Wars is to Sci Fi (the mainstream one which for some reason everyone knows about, not the more cult ones like Star Trek, Dr Who, Galactica, etc)
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2011 at 23:00
Originally posted by Kashmir75 Kashmir75 wrote:

I don't think Pink Floyd really counts.
It's what played that counts. Wink
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2011 at 19:22
OK, a new one!  I was in an immense grocery/general goods store (called Meier Thrifty Acres hereabouts), and I heard Blondie's "Heart of Glass" on the PA.  That started me thinking about those days, when Bob Fripp was chasing Debbie Harry's skirts etc.  

Then, that song was followed by Asia's song "Only Time Will Tell"!   Can't say when the last time was I've heard that single on the radio, although it used to be popular.  All this reminded me of how often we used to hear this stuff as ambient music. 
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2011 at 19:45
Three years ago on Thanksgiving Eve, a New York radio station played "Supper's Ready"!  I first thought I had Foxtrot  in the car playing( yes I still have cassettes), but no it was the radio!  That song probably hasn't been on the radio since the yer it was released.  I could hardly believe my ears!  
TheMasterMofo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMasterMofo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2011 at 18:31
I've been to probably 20 Atlanta Braves baseball games in the last 3 years and at every game I've been to they've played Dream Theater's "The Dance of Eternity". The first time after getting over my shock I looked at my dad and was like "You know what this is, right!?!?" and thankfully he did. The second time I was just surprised to hear it AGAIN. Now I just wait for it before every game. They've played "Metropolis Part 1" before several times as well.
They also typically play "Summer Song" and "Satch Boogie" by Joe Satriani.

Edited by TheMasterMofo - September 18 2011 at 18:32
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conor Fynes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 17:41
I once got a friend who was the manager of McDonalds at the time to play maudlin of the well's Part The Second on the PA system while I ate my nuggets. Can you guess how long it was before there were complaints?
GoldenGod2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenGod2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 17:46
When I went to see Rush the venue was playing prog before the show and during intermission but i guess it doesnt really count since Rush is prog anyway.
I remember two of the songs were 21st century schizoid man and watcher of the skies. :P
The future's uncertain and the end is always near. - Jim Morrison
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 17:51
^^I did the same thing at a pizzeria once - just with Tangerine Dream Phaedra. Man - I thought electronic music was coming back in a big way, you just gotta have lots of bass and be able to dance to it...

On the other hand, people tend to go for the more mellow tunes when they´re stuffing their faces. It´s probably only mental patience like ourselves who listens to Koenjihakkei whilst eating salami and bananas.

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 20 2011 at 17:52
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conor Fynes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 17:59
I love salami, but I don't have patience for bananas.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 18:18
^You just gotta try them again - they grow on you. It´s a complex fruit.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 19:05
Originally posted by Conor Fynes Conor Fynes wrote:

I once got a friend who was the manager of McDonalds at the time to play maudlin of the well's Part The Second on the PA system while I ate my nuggets. Can you guess how long it was before there were complaints?
I used to work at a small independent used/new bookstore called The Aspen Bookshop.  I often tended the store and got to play the music.  You bet I put together some nice book browsing prog assortment tapes.  No complaints and the occasional inquiry about what was playing.

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 20 2011 at 19:06

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 61>