Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 61>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zappaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 19:26
Heh.  I was in an eatery with a jukebox once and picked 3 unlikely (and lengthy!) songs.  About halfway into "Song For America" by Kansas I think they yanked the plug out of the wall.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
elp View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 01:03
At home! My son (12 years old) started playing Carry on my wayward son! 
gen77c View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen77c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 12:44
Watching this video at first I was like "woah, this is unexpected"

http://youtu.be/qTcXxVOM4B0

but then the rapping starts Head on wall

desistindo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desistindo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 13:01
Yesterday i listened to Pink Floyd´s Echos in a lingerie store ´s amplificator. The next music was Lady Gaga´s Born This Way...Head on wall
AutumnWanderer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AutumnWanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 23:15

Someone told me that where they live there is a pizza place called Zappas and it's got pictures of:

All over the walls.
areazione View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote areazione Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2011 at 03:52
Some months ago I was watching "Children of men" (quite a decent one, I would say). Well, all in a sudden a certain song came about much to my surprise.

And there we had some prog element right on the scene. Not too bad, not too bad at all.

Edited by areazione - September 30 2011 at 03:53
Umbra profunda sumus, ne nos vexetis, inepti; non vos, sed doctos tam grave quaerit opus
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colorofmoney91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2011 at 12:16
I once heard the full version of Tarkus playing in a Barnes & Nobles bookstore.

I was with my girlfriend at the time and I pointed up to the speakers in the ceiling and asked "do you know what this is?" and she replied "really annoying?"
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2011 at 12:56
Originally posted by areazione areazione wrote:

Some months ago I was watching "Children of men" (quite a decent one, I would say). Well, all in a sudden a certain song came about much to my surprise.

And there we had some prog element right on the scene. Not too bad, not too bad at all.
Yeah, someone on this site mentioned it had prog in it when the movie came out.  Not as much as I was expecting.  Good movie though.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2011 at 16:43
In the court of the Crimson King seems to be a popular one. At my school there was a video on poor countries and how children in poor countries are joyfull and in the end there was this song playing.
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2011 at 17:53
I was at a popular pizza place in Champaign, Illinois while visiting my girlfriend at school at U of I earlier this year. The place was absolutely packed because a basketball game or something had just ended. I walked over to the jukebox (a new, advanced kind with a touch screen and LCD of everything) while waiting for a table. Since it was (I assume) an MP3 jukebox, it had tons of artists and many albums by each artist. You could get a few songs for just a buck or something. Well, I discovered Pink Floyd was on there. Well, for about a dollar or two, since you only pay by song, not length, I played Echoes, Dogs, Sheep, Pigs (Three Different Ones), and Atom Heart Mother. By the time I was seated, it had started playing Echoes, and Atom Heart Mother was only partway through by the time we were done. People were dumping money into that jukebox but never even getting to hear their music because of how long my songs were. 

Edited by POTA - September 30 2011 at 17:54
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2011 at 20:55
Originally posted by AutumnWanderer AutumnWanderer wrote:

Someone told me that where they live there is a pizza place called Zappas and it's got pictures of:

All over the walls.
In Ottawa, Canada, there is bar and bistro called Atomic Rooster
BenevolentBehemoth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenevolentBehemoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2011 at 21:32
This might not count as a weird place to hear it, but they were playing Live-Evil (the whole record all the way through) at a record store I was at.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2011 at 23:12
Originally posted by POTA POTA wrote:

I was at a popular pizza place in Champaign, Illinois while visiting my girlfriend at school at U of I earlier this year. The place was absolutely packed because a basketball game or something had just ended. I walked over to the jukebox (a new, advanced kind with a touch screen and LCD of everything) while waiting for a table. Since it was (I assume) an MP3 jukebox, it had tons of artists and many albums by each artist. You could get a few songs for just a buck or something. Well, I discovered Pink Floyd was on there. Well, for about a dollar or two, since you only pay by song, not length, I played Echoes, Dogs, Sheep, Pigs (Three Different Ones), and Atom Heart Mother. By the time I was seated, it had started playing Echoes, and Atom Heart Mother was only partway through by the time we were done. People were dumping money into that jukebox but never even getting to hear their music because of how long my songs were. 

I have a Bachelor of Science degree from University of Illinois, 1977.....I presently teach there, part-time....please know that you undoubtedly infuriated many of the fans of the Fighting Illini football team, including hulking, Neanderthal-like fraternity brothers and their ilk. 

Well done, sir!!  Clap
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinprog77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2011 at 03:42
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by areazione areazione wrote:

Yeah, someone on this site mentioned it had prog in it when the movie came out.  Not as much as I was expecting.  Good movie though.
you guys should check  tne movie ''buffalo '66 ' [ very good movie imo ] ' it has a great soundtrack  [trust me you wont be dissapoint it ]
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2011 at 13:00
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I have a Bachelor of Science degree from University of Illinois, 1977.....I presently teach there, part-time....please know that you undoubtedly infuriated many of the fans of the Fighting Illini football team, including hulking, Neanderthal-like fraternity brothers and their ilk. 

Well done, sir!!  Clap
Haha. It was at Papa Dells on Green Street. If you every eat there, check out the jukebox. LOL

Edit: ever*

Edited by POTA - October 03 2011 at 13:01
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2011 at 17:00

LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

FlemmingV View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlemmingV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2011 at 14:06
Well not entirely prog, but I didn't expect to hear Bohemian Rhapsody performed live at the oktoberfest in Munich in the HB tent. The band played the whole song including the difficult second part with choir,  theatratical voices.and guitar solo. Normally the bands in the tents play traditional tyrolean music and german hits blended with well established international hits like West Virginia and Rockin' all over the world. But in the HB tent the band is special, they also played TNT, Smoke on the water etc

/ FlemmingV
mongofa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mongofa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2011 at 00:11
At my one of my high school rallies, they played "Power" by Kanye West, which as you know samples Schizoid Man. I suppose the doesn't really count, but whatever.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2011 at 00:40
Not sure if this counts, but I was bored out of my mind standing in a supermarket queue, so I picked up one of those crappy gossip magazines, and a few pages in there was a picture of Jessica Simpson wearing a `Yes' shirt!! With the classic Roger Dean logo design too :)

After getting over that initinal shock, I thought `Hmmmm, wonder if she can even SPELL `Yes'?!

Makes we wonder, if some stylist dressed her, who is the stylist who considers Yes to be fashionable?! :)
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zappaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2011 at 19:45
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Not sure if this counts, but I was bored out of my mind standing in a supermarket queue, so I picked up one of those crappy gossip magazines, and a few pages in there was a picture of Jessica Simpson wearing a `Yes' shirt!! With the classic Roger Dean logo design too :)

After getting over that initinal shock, I thought `Hmmmm, wonder if she can even SPELL `Yes'?!

Makes we wonder, if some stylist dressed her, who is the stylist who considers Yes to be fashionable?! :)

She probably doesn't even know it's a band.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 61>