Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQueen as progressive band?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
catfood03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 20:41
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

To be honest, the real problem with the album is that it might have one of the single WORST album covers of all time! Could they have picked a worse picture of themselves lol?!

But its soooo silver-y, and Brian May looks really tuff! LOL

thanks for your opinion. I think I might pick it up anyway, even knowing that the Prog factor has long gone from their music.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 20:31
Hey there, been reading this topic on and off for a while!

`The Game' is a very decent pop/rock album, but of course the majority of the progressive elements in the band's sound were gone. It's pretty consistently good, though, and `Dragon Attack' has a terrific heavy bass line!

To be honest, the real problem with the album is that it might have one of the single WORST album covers of all time! Could they have picked a worse picture of themselves lol?!
catfood03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 20:02
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Originally posted by catfood03 catfood03 wrote:

I can barely sit through Jazz, which sounded like mostly filler. I am interested in picking up The Game though, because I like the "hits" on that record. Could anyone tell me if they think it is better than its predecessor?         

What do you mean "if they think it is better than its predecessor?"
You mean what did the Queen guys themselves think?
If so I have no idea, bands rarely criticize their own records, their last is always the best...
I personally enjoy Jazz more (The Game has some good parts but much less interesting than Jazz IMHO).

ok, my fault for not being clear... I mean what do Queen fans on this forum think of The Game in relation to Jazz?

I can think of a few instances of a band or musician disowning parts of their catalog. Ministry disowns their debut, for example, going so far to bad-mouth it any time the media asks about it. Can disowns Out of Reach, and it has never been officially re-issued by the band.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 16:09
Originally posted by catfood03 catfood03 wrote:

I can barely sit through Jazz, which sounded like mostly filler. I am interested in picking up The Game though, because I like the "hits" on that record. Could anyone tell me if they think it is better than its predecessor?         

What do you mean "if they think it is better than its predecessor?"
You mean what did the Queen guys themselves think?
If so I have no idea, bands rarely criticize their own records, their last is always the best...
I personally enjoy Jazz more (The Game has some good parts but much less interesting than Jazz IMHO).

catfood03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 06:58
JeanFrame View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 05:54
Queen were/are excellent musicians, and made many fine records, but I can't personally see them as 'progressive'. "Bohemian Rhapsody" had some elements of Prog, but it wasn't really typical of the body of their work. More a mix of metal and pop IMO.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 03:15
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

John Deacon had a pop soul but at least he was more inspired than Roger, his songs might not be prog but at least they were very good pop-rock songs.

Finally, just let me say that from Jazz I love Dead On Time, what a guitar raid !

In Only Seven Days and Who Needs You were pure Deacon filler for me. Mercury had his share too - remember Keep Passing Open Wndows, Delilah and Don't Try So Hard? Not great. Maybe I'm just not keen on pop?

Dead On Time however - yep that was a great rock-out indeed Wink
progistoomainstream View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 18:45
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

I enjoyed 'I'm in Love with My Car'. It was a huge live hit, so this is obviously not a filler.

Indeed. Now the first cut of "Seven Seas of Rhye", that was filler.
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 18:00
I'd completely disagree with you in your point about Taylor's songs. For me, Taylor is a very talented and inspired musician and I love his songs a lot (and Tenement Funster is one of my fav Queen's tracks ever). So attitude to his songs is just a matter of taste.

And Taylor's solo stuff is great. Far better than Mercury's solo curiosity called 'Mr. Bad Guy'.

Edited by ole-the-first - February 06 2012 at 18:01
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 16:04

Like so many others I really love Queen up to A Day At The Races, after that they made many great songs but no album that can be called trully great, and even less if we limit ourselves to the scope of prog.

As good as it is from a democratical point of view that in a band they let all the members contribute, the main problem were the songs by Roger Taylor. No fillers for me in Queen I, but The Loser In The End in Queen II, Tenement Funster in SHA, I'm In Love With My Car in ANATO or Drowse in ADATR, are consistently the weaker songs in those otherwise masterpieces. Roger was a rocker and that's fine, but it would have been nice if Brian and Freddy would have developed and arranged his ideas more (much more even than what they did I mean). They didn't care because they never aimed at being a prog band.

John Deacon had a pop soul but at least he was more inspired than Roger, his songs might not be prog but at least they were very good pop-rock songs.

Finally, just let me say that from Jazz I love Dead On Time, what a guitar raid !
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 07:57
I enjoyed 'I'm in Love with My Car'. It was a huge live hit, so this is obviously not a filler.
Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2012 at 23:34
Originally posted by progistoomainstream progistoomainstream wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I think that any album which includes their hits is a great album. Unfortunately, for me, I found that every single album they did also contained some atrocious rubbish.
I was about to write something similar. I don't think there's any Queen album without at least one rubbish track or skippable fillers.

Interesting. I have never found it so.

There is no filler on A Night at the Opera. I have analyzed this with a team of experts.
Don't get me wrong, I like the album, but I'm In Love With My Car? Come on. Practically unlistenable
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2012 at 23:29
Probably also "A Day At The Races" has no fillers. I think they have started from Jazz
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
progistoomainstream View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2012 at 17:39

I think that any album which includes their hits is a great album. Unfortunately, for me, I found that every single album they did also contained some atrocious rubbish.
I was about to write something similar. I don't think there's any Queen album without at least one rubbish track or skippable fillers.

There is no filler on A Night at the Opera. I have analyzed this with a team of experts.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2012 at 14:52

Well, I've been quoted Big smile.  just to say it more clearly...I love Jazz but it has "More of That Jazz"....A Kind of Magic has "Don't Loose Your Head"...Innuendo has "Delilah" ....and so on

I'd agree that Delilah and Don't Lose Your Head are terrible, but More of That jazz is a great hard rocker with inimitable Roger Taylor's vocals.
However the sense of that mine old post was that Queen would have been better with shorter albums full of masterpieces than with all the fillers. More of that jazz is not terrible, but is a filler.  

Yeah, I'd agree that there's fillers on most of Queen's albums, but More of That Jazz for me is not a filler. Songs like Fun It and In Only Seven Days are much better candidates to be called 'fillers'.
Them too...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2012 at 14:51

Well, I've been quoted Big smile.  just to say it more clearly...I love Jazz but it has "More of That Jazz"....A Kind of Magic has "Don't Loose Your Head"...Innuendo has "Delilah" ....and so on

I'd agree that Delilah and Don't Lose Your Head are terrible, but More of That jazz is a great hard rocker with inimitable Roger Taylor's vocals.
However the sense of that mine old post was that Queen would have been better with shorter albums full of masterpieces than with all the fillers. More of that jazz is not terrible, but is a filler.  

Yeah, I'd agree that there's fillers on most of Queen's albums, but More of That Jazz for me is not a filler. Songs like Fun It and In Only Seven Days are much better candidates to be called 'fillers'.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2012 at 14:36

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2012 at 14:32

^They are not terrible.

Well, that was just mine personal opinion.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2012 at 14:29
^They are not terrible.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2012 at 14:20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>