FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlex Lifeson Distortion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alex Lifeson Distortion
    Posted: October 03 2011 at 19:33
Wasn't sure if this falled under Tech Talk or Musician's exchange but whatever. Anyways, Does anybody know what kind of distortion Alex used in the late 70's/early 80's (Farewell To Kings - Moving Pictures). He has probably my favourite guitar tone ever, along with Stephen Hacketts, and he's never really publicly discussed before. Was he just using his Amplifier distortion or did he have various pedals? I know he used Hiwatts and Marshalls along with a lot of Chorus.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2011 at 19:41
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

Wasn't sure if this falled under Tech Talk or Musician's exchange but whatever. Anyways, Does anybody know what kind of distortion Alex used in the late 70's/early 80's (Farewell To Kings - Moving Pictures). He has probably my favourite guitar tone ever, along with Stephen Hacketts, and he's never really publicly discussed before. Was he just using his Amplifier distortion or did he have various pedals? I know he used Hiwatts and Marshalls along with a lot of Chorus.
it's a good question--  I don't see why Lifeson would need external distortion but I guess it's possible he would occasionally hit one, but if anything it would've diminished his gain.

clarkpegasus4001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2011 at 00:28
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

it's a good question--  I don't see why Lifeson would need external distortion but I guess it's possible he would occasionally hit one, but if anything it would've diminished his gain.

I was a big fan of Rush at the time. As far as I can remember he used an MXR Distortion+ and an MXR Micro Amp.
Tony C.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2011 at 00:57
 ^ hmm, like Randy Rhoads.. great little box, used to have a buddy with one
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2011 at 16:00

Yes that's right. I used to own both those pedals when I played guitar in 1981. I actually had another Distortion + pedal that I sold last year to a friend. The pedal apparently belonged to guitarist Robert Quine. I didn't know that when I bought it, I was told after I had already purchased it from the seller. I had never heard of him myself but I hear he was big on the "punk" scene? he had apparently passed away.
I sold it because it wasn't getting used anymore and it "ate" batteries for some unknown reason!

Edited by clarkpegasus4001 - October 04 2011 at 16:02
Tony C.

Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2011 at 21:56
Originally posted by clarkpegasus4001 clarkpegasus4001 wrote:

I was a big fan of Rush at the time. As far as I can remember he used an MXR Distortion+ and an MXR Micro Amp.
Wow really? Would have never guessed. I've never really tried out any MXR's and I probably should since there so highly acclaimed and celebrated. I have a Boss DS-1 and you can sort of get some of Alex's tones but the overall sound of the pedal is not very appealing to me. For example on my guitar, Ibanez RG321MHUnhappy, if you switch to the neck pickup, turn your guitar tone a bit down and have the pedal tone eq at midway and have the distortion at about just after 3 qaurters, I get a really good Jacob's Ladder tone. Mind you, I have to feed it through some chorus too which I have a Electro Harmonix Small Clone and its a really nice pedal.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2011 at 22:01

Ya Randy did use it on the first 2 Ozzy solo albums, I believe. Not fan of his tone though and the only thing I like about his guitar playing is that he's classically influenced and trained, but other than that he's just another metal guitarist.. Actually in fact I'm not a fan of an Ozzy music except for Black Sabbath (a bit).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2011 at 22:28
I suppose I can understand not being a fan of his tone, though it was one of the richest, heaviest in the history of rock (see a wildly unsuccessful thread I started on this subject; http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78681 -), but Rhoads was absolutely without any doubt not just another metal guitarist.   He wasn't just 'classically influenced and trained', he was one of the finest guitar players in the world, and that's just his classical (which everyone and their gardener was waiting in line to learn)--  his rock playing made such a deep impact I don't even think many realize how deep it was.    Particularly his approach to rhythm and songwriting was quite fresh and most of the metal that came after utilized his up/down patterns, taking the sense of swing in hard rock Jimmy Page and Tony Iommi had founded a step or two further.  Not to mention his extraordinary taste, solos and fills, and musicalogic knowledge.

Rhoads was a true master, unlike most of his peers who were happy to get by on warmed-over blues riffs and clichéd song structures.   Further, Diary of a Madman is not only a brilliantly conceived album that set a standard so high it turned out to be impossible to match, but was one of the first progressive metal records.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2011 at 21:06

I suppose I can understand not being a fan of his tone, though it was one of the richest, heaviest in the history of rock (see a wildly unsuccessful thread I started on this subject; http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78681 -), but Rhoads was absolutely without any doubt not just another metal guitarist.   He wasn't just 'classically influenced and trained', he was one of the finest guitar players in the world, and that's just his classical (which everyone and their gardener was waiting in line to learn)--  his rock playing made such a deep impact I don't even think many realize how deep it was.    Particularly his approach to rhythm and songwriting was quite fresh and most of the metal that came after utilized his up/down patterns, taking the sense of swing in hard rock Jimmy Page and Tony Iommi had founded a step or two further.  Not to mention his extraordinary taste, solos and fills, and musicalogic knowledge.

Rhoads was a true master, unlike most of his peers who were happy to get by on warmed-over blues riffs and clichéd song structures.   Further, Diary of a Madman is not only a brilliantly conceived album that set a standard so high it turned out to be impossible to match, but was one of the first progressive metal records.

Quite the convincing argument Atavachron!Smile Your right, I was wrong to say that he was just a metal player because yes he was a highly influential player and had a lot of ecletic inluences, I'd say. I'm just not that keen to the metal approach of the guitar. Not a big fan of over the top distortion, shred all the time solos and cliche tapping. I just find that a lot of metal (especially nowdays) sounds all the same and lacks, originality, uniqueness and imagination.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2011 at 19:05
I went on facebook and found this on Rush's page: http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2011/Nov/GALLERY_Pro_Pedalboards_Volume_II.aspx?Page=21&#gallery Alex's current pedalboard and effects setup. Never would have thought he used an Axe-FX Shocked.

Edited by Fox On The Rocks - October 13 2011 at 19:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2011 at 00:09
This tells all........

http://www.musictoyz.com/articles/chopalex.php

Note; Moving Pictures tour he did indeed use an MXR Distortion + and an MXR Micro amp as i'd thought.
Tony C.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2011 at 15:36

Thank You clarkpegasus! So it turns out Alex only really used his Amp distortion and MXRs after all.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2011 at 19:21

Thank You clarkpegasus! So it turns out Alex only really used his Amp distortion and MXRs after all.

You are welcome! Smile
Tony C.

digitalchemistry View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 15:31
You can imitate most of his tones with a combination of Chameleon/ Voodoo Valve preamps...I did when I was in a Rush tribute... Lifeson is God... LOL.. seriously...he taught me a great deal when I was just learning to play....

Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 12:32
A cracker Marshall and some phase shifter/delay i think...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 12:35

have a Electro Harmonix Small Clone and its a really nice pedal.

a nice and useful too!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 16:50
Originally posted by Alberto Muñoz Alberto Muñoz wrote:

A cracker Marshall and some phase shifter/delay i think...

I don't think Lex was as big into Phasers as he was into chorus. I think there's some phaser on Cygnus X-1: Hemispheres and Permanent Waves tracks. Anymore to mention? In the 80's he was very big on chorus and delay and that kind of became his signature sound even though his signature playing was on earlier albums. Marshalls are awesome! Approve
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 16:53

a nice and useful too!

I know, it's a great little box. So many different tones that you can get. Just a really big, shimmering chorus tone, and that's how I like it! Thumbs Up Do you have one?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 16:56

a nice and useful too!

I know, it's a great little box. So many different tones that you can get. Just a really big, shimmering chorus tone, and that's how I like it! Thumbs Up Do you have one?

Yes i have one of the nano series and many more of Electro Harmonix, those are responsible for my total lack of posting in forumsEmbarrassed

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 17:09

a nice and useful too!

Yes i have one of the nano series and many more of Electro Harmonix, those are responsible for my total lack of posting in forumsEmbarrassed

I have the regular non-Nano model. Is there a difference other than the mobility/portability and size? It's great to see another guitarist on this site with such a great taste in pedals. Big smile I also have a Big Muff Pi, Small Stone Nano and Holy Grail reverb. Electro Harmonix is just awesome! My favourite pedal company, by far. I've tried many other pedals but there's something about EH tones that's so appealing. What kind of guitar do you have?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>