Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSea man prog /sailor themed prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 23:29
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

This is a little depressing, but I always hear this song in my head whenever I think of my close friend slipping on ice and off the deck falling into the Atlantic ocean during the midwinter to die.

Wow, sad story, man!  Great tune, thanks for posting!  Kayak is very much under-appreciated. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 01:16
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

This is a little depressing, but I always hear this song in my head whenever I think of my close friend slipping on ice and off the deck falling into the Atlantic ocean during the midwinter to die.

Wow, sad story, man!  Great tune, thanks for posting!  Kayak is very much under-appreciated
I agree. Might be of interest that their first two albums are being remastered and reissued shortly.Smile
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 10:03
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

[QUOTE=TODDLER] This is a little depressing, but I always hear this song in my head whenever I think of my close friend slipping on ice and off the deck falling into the Atlantic ocean during the midwinter to die.

Wow, sad story, man!  Great tune, thanks for posting!  Kayak is very much under-appreciated
I agree. Might be of interest that their first two albums are being remastered and reissued shortly.Smile[/QUOTE

I love the second album! I will be looking for the remasterd version of it. It contains a couple of "Pop" style songs ....maybe more along the lines of 10CC/Beatles and very strange melodies to my ears. Then it has other songs which are definitely Prog. Interesting ideas for mellotron. The first Kayak release is very good, but for me..sounding closer to the style of YES. The second Kayak is very unique. I also have an old import release of the original "Merlin" and the first 5 songs are amazing. Unfortunately ..the other half of the recording doesn't seem to fit the subject of Merlin. I believe this was the original LP release that was mastered for cd back in 1990. The first 5 tracks are simply relentless and display such an amazing tightness. I realize that many prefer the more modern release of "Merlin" which sticks to the subject of the story , but the first half of the early release deserves to be circulated more. I don't know if the tracks are available on youtube? Youtube is actually a place where an independent talented artist may post their obscure and interesting works. Only problem is if you compose an interesting piece and whatever subject it may revolve around, there may be a vid next to it of a person taking a dump or some ridiculous moronic fringe sex act...as to an extent ..youtube is a free for all. Other brutal and tasteless vids will be typically linked to yours and so on and so on. It's not exactly like having your cd placed in a prog section like it would have been in the 90's at Tower Records.   

Edited by TODDLER - June 29 2012 at 10:07
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 16:04

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

[QUOTE=TODDLER] This is a little depressing, but I always hear this song in my head whenever I think of my close friend slipping on ice and off the deck falling into the Atlantic ocean during the midwinter to die.

I agree. Might be of interest that their first two albums are being remastered and reissued shortly.Smile[/QUOTE

I love the second album! I will be looking for the remasterd version of it. It contains a couple of "Pop" style songs ....maybe more along the lines of 10CC/Beatles and very strange melodies to my ears. Then it has other songs which are definitely Prog. Interesting ideas for mellotron. The first Kayak release is very good, but for me..sounding closer to the style of YES. The second Kayak is very unique. I also have an old import release of the original "Merlin" and the first 5 songs are amazing. Unfortunately ..the other half of the recording doesn't seem to fit the subject of Merlin. I believe this was the original LP release that was mastered for cd back in 1990. The first 5 tracks are simply relentless and display such an amazing tightness. I realize that many prefer the more modern release of "Merlin" which sticks to the subject of the story , but the first half of the early release deserves to be circulated more. I don't know if the tracks are available on youtube? Youtube is actually a place where an independent talented artist may post their obscure and interesting works. Only problem is if you compose an interesting piece and whatever subject it may revolve around, there may be a vid next to it of a person taking a dump or some ridiculous moronic fringe sex act...as to an extent ..youtube is a free for all. Other brutal and tasteless vids will be typically linked to yours and so on and so on. It's not exactly like having your cd placed in a prog section like it would have been in the 90's at Tower Records.   
I've got the original release and the updated version. Luckily I also have the DVD Merlin Bard Of The Unseen which is rather wonderfull and on a par with Yes Symphonic in my mind.
The last Kayak album I purchased was The Last Encore. I feel that is one that is somewhat overlooked. A very enjoybale album ,shorter tracks but still heavily symphonic in style. Lovely.
Kayak are one of those bands that just create a warm glow

Edited by richardh - June 29 2012 at 16:09
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234