Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "Plays Genesis & Other Original Stuff"  on sale!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Plays Genesis & Other Original Stuff" on sale!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Plays Genesis & Other Original Stuff" on sale!
    Posted: October 18 2011 at 15:12

Holidays are approaching so perhaps now it's the time to star thinking gifts and whatnots. Well, here is an idea, why not buy some of your friends or loved ones the gift of music? Sounds corny? Maybe, maybe not. It all depends from which point of view you look at it. Because of the upcoming holiday season, we have decided to place the "Plays Genesis & Other Original Stuff" CD on sale. That's right, one heck of a collector piece for just under ten dollars! 

To all of you who may not be familiar with the details of the album, here is what you would be getting:

A CD encased in a gate-fold mini LP-style packaging showcasing beautiful artwork reminiscent of the days when the album covers were as great as the music inside of them.

Song list:

Hairless Heart - A contemporized version that plays very well against Genesis' own remake of "The Carpet Crawlers".

Behind The Screen-Cinemania - An original composition that keeps the sound from the various eras of Genesis

Fly On a Windshield - Another Genesis beauty. Leon's version puts it into context all by itself.

Earthbound-Albert's Return - As the title implies, this piece was created  to fit with the music from the DUKE album. It is Leon's personal homage to one of Genesis great albums.

Of Wind & Sorrow - For this original piece, Leon wanted to capture the luscious passages found in the Wind and Wuthering album. At the same time, he was inspired by the tempo and feel from the quiet instrumental titled "Silent Sorrows in Empty Boats" from "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway".

Cinema Show Part II - What can it be said for one of Genesis best instrumental parts, ever! Other than it always sounded more dynamic when played live. For this piece Leon tried to capture that "live" essence and, at the same time, adding some personal touches to the composition.

Broken Promises - A modern and contemporary piece done more or less in the style of post-Collins Genesis.

For the post recording work, Leon recruited the talents of Ty Tabor (guitar extraordinaire from King's X), and Tony Cousins (who did the bulk of the remastering on the latest Genesis box sets).

The cover artwork depicts a figure standing in the middle of the intersection between Broadway and 42nd street in the heart of Manhattan. In the back cover, a lamb can be seen "laying down" in the middle of the road as well as an ominous figure rising from the "sidewalk steam". The front cover also carries some of the feel found int the "...and then there were three..." album.

As Leon puts it:

"I wanted for the whole project to have a strong connection with the world of Genesis without being a copy of it. My original compositions have a Genesis sound to them which I planned in order to make a cohesive album. From the point of view of a fan, I'm always interested in hearing different takes on the music I love and grew up listening to. Unfortunately, Genesis is no longer together creating music. We all would want to hear more from the band but that doesn't seem to be in the cards. Cover songs from various musicians at least provide us with newer approaches to the material. As a musician, I wanted to do something to pay homage to one of rock's greatest bands of all times. I think I have a good album that Genesis fans will enjoy as long as they come to it with an open mind. these days I'm involved in making more original music which doesn't sound as much to Genesis as anything on that CD. However, I'm glad to have the opportunity to pay tribute to the music of a band that was so dear to my heart".

Every purchase will help pay for the release of newer music. Since the "Plays Genesis" album, Leon has worked with the talents of Bill Bruford (Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, Earthworks), John Goodsall (Brand X, Fire Merchants) and recently with Billy Sherwood (Yes, Conspiracy, YOSO, CIRCA). The idea is to keep bringing new great music for all of us to enjoy. 

http://https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/LeonAlvarado
leonalvarado View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2011 at 15:14

ARTIST PRESS ITEMS

“Another recent arrival at TWR HQ is a delightful CD by Leon Alvarado titled; Leon Alvarado Plays Genesis And Other Original Stuff. This one does exactly what it says on the cover; Leon opens his Cd with an update on the classic Hairless Heart which gives a hi tech treatment to this favourite. Behind The Screen/Cinemania is an Alvarado original, percussion driven and with some interesting use of atmospherics. Fly On A Windshield is another interesting re-working of a favourite Lamb… track. Musically it is excellent.”
““I have now had a chance to listen to your CD. It really is excellent. Full of atmosphere and beautifully put together. Your own stuff is particularly good too. I can tell that a great deal of love, time and energy has gone into it all and I think the result is a strong product. The covers are good too. I particularly like the way in which you have something like an underground train map for the titles! Keep up the good work! Congratulations...”
“This largely instrumental and heavily keyboard/synth driven tribute project features a mixture of Genesis songs and Genesis 'inspired' tracks by Alvarado. I really enjoyed his interpretation on keyboards of "Hairless Heart" although on occasion the guitar part on the song is a little too overly simplified for my tastes. His take on "Cinema Show Part II" Its undeniably good and has a dramatic Genesis "live" feel to it. I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge the design of this tribute album. Also created by Alvarado, its packaged in almost a mini-LP CD style sleeve with great artwork which in itself pays homage to the Genesis albums of days past. As you can see from the image provided above, the cover has an And Then There Were Three feel to it. If there was an award for best packaging of a Genesis tribute CD, I would certainly award it to Leon. The entire package is incredibly professional - inside and out.”
“When I received the CD I was struck by the packaging in terms of design. The music links to Genesis can be found even as traced autographs, like the initial rhythmic pattern of Behind The Screen / Cinemania (which reminds you of the live version of I know What I like and which Leon admits he’d taken the melodic inspiration from Behind the Lines), as well as Earthbound / Albert's Return which has a “Banksian” atmosphere to it with a morbid and evocative instrumental melody that is typical of his style. With Wind & Sorrow the inspirations are evident (at least in the title) to the track Silent Sorrow In Empty Boats. However, the track also reminds you of some musical passages from Wind & Wuthering and Entangled and it’s probably the song that takes more inspiration from the music of Genesis. The last piece, Broken Promises, is born with the intent to appeal to a wider audience by distancing itself from the typical progressive music of the 70’s.”
“This multi-instrumentalist's album consists of original music and tributes to Genesis songs. The tributes are "Hairless Heart", "Fly On A Windshield" and "Cinema Show Part II" which has a very impressive Phil Collins-like drum performance. The original music is well performed and incorporates the use of analog drum machines and a good recreation of the ARP synthesizer sound. Leon's music sounds like the quiet moments of Genesis' Duke era. If I didn't know any better, would have thought that these tracks were out takes from Tony Banks. Also, the great gatefold cardboard CD jacket was design by the artist himself.”
leonalvarado View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2011 at 09:28
You can also check out my other CD, "Strangers In Strange Places" which features John Goodsall on guitars and drum tracks performed by BIll Bruford. Also, the album cover is once again a gate-fold cardboard cover that looks like those expensive Japanese mini-LP covers. I think it will be well worth your time to check them both out.
 Post Reply Post Reply