Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVangelis - Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Poll Question: Where does this artist fit in the Prog spectrum?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [6.82%]
26 [59.09%]
9 [20.45%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [13.64%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2011 at 19:03
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Dave, Vangelis is "represented" here and has been here for over six years - whether Prog Related is seen as some second-rate category is irrelevant - anyone who wants to review a Vangelis album can do so - and that's pretty much all this site is here for - to allow people to review and rate albums and if they think that album is Progressive or Symphonic or Jazz-Rock/Raga they can say so in their review.

The effort is better spent reviewing the albums rather than fretting over the categorizations.

I think jazzmusicarchives has a better organization.  "Related" isn't a second class citizen category and not having to put one artist in a single category are improvements.  I only have to guess that transitioning PA over to something like that now would be a monumental undertaking.

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 09 2011 at 19:36
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 15:30
I have many Vangelis albums. These are most certainly 'progressive electronic':

Heaven and Hell
Albedo 0.39
Spiral
Beauborg
Invisible Connections
Direct

beyond that little lot I'm not convinced anything else is 'progressive ,most of it being a mixture of OST's ,quasi classical works and 'new age' stuff.

Much of Vangelis work is just Vangelis being Vangelis. Not sure if he even really cares about being 'progressive' anymore and probably hasn't been in any way 'progressive' since about 1990.

His very early albums like Earth, Hypothesis and The Dragon are quite experimental but don't actually feature synthesisers to the best of my knowledge so could they really be classed as 'progressive electronic'?

Edited by richardh - November 10 2011 at 15:30
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 16:00
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Heaven and Hell
Albedo 0.39
Spiral
Beauborg
Invisible Connections
Direct

beyond that little lot I'm not convinced anything else is 'progressive ,most of it being a mixture of OST's ,quasi classical works and 'new age' stuff.

Much of Vangelis work is just Vangelis being Vangelis. Not sure if he even really cares about being 'progressive' anymore and probably hasn't been in any way 'progressive' since about 1990.

His very early albums like Earth, Hypothesis and The Dragon are quite experimental but don't actually feature synthesisers to the best of my knowledge so could they really be classed as 'progressive electronic'?
    Not sure about that Richard, the way he used the Hammond and the effects is quite electronic experience IMHO Wink
FAIS QUE TON REVE SOIT PLUS LONG QUE LA NUIT HAVE YOUR DREAM LASTING LONGER THAN THE NIGHT
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 18:02

He's a self taught musician in a house of musicians. And if we can add a non-joke here, may I suggest that you stop listening for the OST's and other definitions and start listening for the spoons. AND, that is a no kidding and from his own mouth! They are in EVERY one of his compositions, regardless of what it is!

He was one of the very first to talk about the selling out of music, way back in 1975 and 1976 and his comments about "commercial music" still are quite vivid in my mind, and probably are the very foundtation of the work I write and state in this board, for example, which some folks do not like.

All in all, he doesn't need to be considered "prog" ... like Mike, or Ryuichi and others ... he's a COMPOSER and he deserves that right for the amount of work he has done, including an Oscar. And it doesn't matter to me if we think it is "prog" or not ... once again ... it's MUSIC. And that's more important than "prog" will ever be.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2011 at 04:15
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

He's a self taught musician in a house of musicians. And if we can add a non-joke here, may I suggest that you stop listening for the OST's and other definitions and start listening for the spoons. AND, that is a no kidding and from his own mouth! They are in EVERY one of his compositions, regardless of what it is!

He was one of the very first to talk about the selling out of music, way back in 1975 and 1976 and his comments about "commercial music" still are quite vivid in my mind, and probably are the very foundtation of the work I write and state in this board, for example, which some folks do not like.

All in all, he doesn't need to be considered "prog" ... like Mike, or Ryuichi and others ... he's a COMPOSER and he deserves that right for the amount of work he has done, including an Oscar. And it doesn't matter to me if we think it is "prog" or not ... once again ... it's MUSIC. And that's more important than "prog" will ever be.
Good ole Moshkito , the man with the ''truth'' the way forward .. a light in the darkness..

anyway the thread was asking whether Vangelis was 'progressive' and I tried to answer it. I own a load of Vangelis albums which I enjoy regardless of what category they are pigeon holed into. My favourite is probably El Greco (just so beautifull) but if I want to get my rocks off then I put on Heaven and Hell as loud as my ears can stand it. I enjoy his body of work which is varied and interesting. Is that okay with you?

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2011 at 04:42

This ia a prog music site in case you hadn't noticed. We just can't put him anywhere. There is no genre here called "music". Where would you suggest he goes? Add something to the debate at hand for a change.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2011 at 05:25
^ There is nothing worse than a self employed building inspector booking a room in a construction he considers we're lucky still to be alive in to alert us of this fact Ermm

Edited by ExittheLemming - November 11 2011 at 05:26
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2011 at 09:38

For what I heard or read somewhere, he's not self taught, he studied music, but he wasn't able to read music due to some sort of dyslexia.

Quote Vangelis was born Evangelos Odessey Papathanas-siou in Greece in 1943. Although he began playing piano at four years old, he has never been able to read or write music on paper. When he was six, his parents enrolled him in Athens music school. Soon, he performed his first concert of his own compositions.
Despite his love for music, Vangelis despised being schooled in the art. When the teachers asked me to play something, I would pretend that I was reading it and play from memory, 

Quote Full name, Evangelos Odysseus Papathanassiou; born March 23, 1943, in Valez, Greece.Education: Studied classical music under Aristotelis Coudourof at the Academy of Fine Arts, Athens, Greece.

So, it's clear he studied music, and since he was six years old.

Yes, he had a strong position against commercial music, as a fact that brought him problems with Demis Roussos in Aphrodite's Child, who wanted to make more commercial music, and at the end broke the band.

But it's also truth  he later changed, don't know the reason, but he became an industry of music much more concern in making money than in music itself...This doesn't delete his Prog efforts and his right to be here in Crossover, according to my opinion.

As somebody said before, THIS IS A PROG SITE, so the great music (and there is fantastic music outside the genre), no matter how good, if not Prog, doesn't belong here, this is not Allmusic, this is 

Progarchives.com Homepage

And people need to learn to live with this, even if they don't believe in genres, this are the rules we accepted when we joined the site.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - November 11 2011 at 09:54

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2011 at 09:46
^ Clap... I thought I'd read somewhere that he had studied music at academic level. I also believe that other musicians spoke out about commercial music long before 1975 - the phrase "sell-out" being a popular term of derision in Prog circles for many years.
What?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2011 at 09:47
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ There is nothing worse than a self employed building inspector booking a room in a construction he considers we're lucky still to be alive in to alert us of this fact Ermm
brilliant LOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2011 at 10:05
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ Clap... I thought I'd read somewhere that he had studied music at academic level. I also believe that other musicians spoke out about commercial music long before 1975 - the phrase "sell-out" being a popular term of derision in Prog circles for many years.

Exactly, and most of the ones who protested against selling out, ended making commercial music for different reasons, mainly because they required money to survive.

A good example is Rick Wakeman, a prolific Prog musician who found at the age of 25, after a heart attack, he had made a terrible business with a label (A&M) and that his family was not protected in case he died.

A few years later, he made music he could sell easily, but when he got enough money, he returned to his beloved genre.

Peter Gabriel almost fell in bankruptcy due to the artistic acclaimed WOMAD, and he made a couple of simpler albums (Still all very good) to get back on his feet, then he returned to his roots

Life is not easy, but Prog Archives has a duty to support PRIMARILY artists who devoted themselves to Prog, of course not forgetting artists who made a Prog - Commercial career if they fit in a sub-genre,  if they don't fit in one,  Prog Related is their place.

Of course I believe guys like Vangelis, Wakeman and Gabriel have a place in a full genre (each one in a different one), due to what they did in their Prog facets. 

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - November 11 2011 at 10:06

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2011 at 11:51
When he got his offer from Anderson the interest in him from members of YES as a whole ...I bet had to do more with his original style. His was electronic, played grand piano so greatly it could give you the chills. He was  Classical and Jazz combined. Wakeman's music  crossed over into  Electronic music.. Moraz, Wakeman, and Vangelis were very diverse as players. I still can't get this out of my head....if Vangelis had played on Relayer or Topographic imagine the change in chord structures and what he would have done with the ambient sections during Anderson's vocals. He has an interesting catalog.  

Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2011 at 12:56
^ We must leave Relayer well alone....Moraz was just perfectSmile
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2011 at 13:42
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

^ We must leave Relayer well alone....Moraz was just perfectSmile

More ambient sections in the vein of Short Stories,.would had ruined Relayer, one of the few Yes masterpieces.

Iván

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 16:43
Vangelis is awesome. Prog? Certainly. That's where my vote went.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 16:47
I went with the prog option as well. The guy has made a lot of different albums with all kinds of influences. In fact I just reviewed his Krautrock album The Dragon. My personal fave from him, although it is a far cry from the rest of his output.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 16:54
The very first albums were avant-jazz, then he went to symphonic prog, then progressive electronic with excursions in newage and avantgarde/contemporary classics (beaubourg and invisible connections). Why is he considered "related"? for his works with Jon Anderson? In that case please note that "Jon and Vangelis" is a different entity on PA.

Well, I have found this thread six months after the last post, but Vangelis is still prog-related so....  
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 01:58
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

The very first albums were avant-jazz, then he went to symphonic prog, then progressive electronic with excursions in newage and avantgarde/contemporary classics (beaubourg and invisible connections). Why is he considered "related"? for his works with Jon Anderson? In that case please note that "Jon and Vangelis" is a different entity on PA.

Well, I have found this thread six months after the last post, but Vangelis is still prog-related so....  
the 'prog related' bit may also be down to Aphrodites Child
I think he ought to be in progressive electronic if only for Heaven and Hell, Albedo 0.39 and Spiral.
btw which albums are symphonic prog? Perhaps you were thinking Heaven and Hell?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 04:11
Of course, I think Heaven and Hell is Symphonic, but also the suite on Chariots of Fire comes in mind. 

But with the English Chamber Choir and the soprano Vana Veroutis we could look for Zeuhl LOL
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 14:51
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Of course, I think Heaven and Hell is Symphonic, but also the suite on Chariots of Fire comes in mind. 

But with the English Chamber Choir and the soprano Vana Veroutis we could look for Zeuhl LOL

Absolutely. Going by a recent interview that Vangelis gave he has composed a lot of symphonic music that hasn't been released sadly. The record companies only want the electronic stuff. The Chariots of Fire suite is excellent and maybe a little overlooked.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>