Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed$42 will get you this...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: $42 will get you this...
    Posted: November 12 2011 at 00:30
Now I posted somewhere else that I'd received free iTunes gift cards. Many of you responded, and I truly thank you for that, for I found one helluva an album as a result. Here's what $42 is now sitting on my hard drive. My choices will probably reveal more about me than intended. Whatever.

Alcest - Ecailles De Lune
Bought the whole album. I love this. Very nice music. No, great music. Kind of like Tool I suppose, but without the acid flashbacks that I always get when I listen to Tool. (Sort of kidding about those flashbacks of course.) 

The Decemberists - Long Live the King
Well after The King Is Dead you know what you're going to get. Fine sloppy version of Row Jimmy. Drunken Neil Young meets stoned Dead. What's not to like?

The Groundhogs - Split
What can I say, I had this overwhelming urge to hear Cherry Red again. I knew she'd be gone by the afternoon, as that fellow sez, and lawdy he sez it quickly. I think this album is the source, or more explicitly stated, is where ol' Greg Sage of The Wipers got his mojo. Then ol' Nirvana got their mojo from The Wipers. So basically you could blame the entire Grunge thing on The mighty Groundhogs. I'm sure they'd accept that blame gladly.

Soft Machine - Third
Well many things started with this one, including the fact that when I put it on I knew she'd be gone by the afternoon. In some cases this was a good thing.

Yes - Relayer
I knew there was a reason I quit listening to this crew after Tales. I have heard the most twisted, demented music that anyone has to offer, and I can't make heads nor tails of The Gates of Delirium. Not giving up on it however.

Then ya start to run out of iTunes credits. Find those special songs that you do not have on CD, so I go for the single downloads.

James Brown - Cold Sweat
Get down! Maceo! This was the pre-PCP JB era.

John Mayall - Snowy Wood
One of Mick Taylor's finest moments, pre or post- Stones.

Keith Jarrett - Over The Rainbow
From the La Scala album. Probably the best song ever written, if you want to understand how intelligent music is constructed. Pretty much every ballad recorded by any rock band is based on this chord progression. Well it's just that circle of fifths, but Jarrett however is transcendent in this interpretation. As James Brown would say...good lord somebody he'p me. 

Neil Young - Like a Hurricane
Amongst the best pure rock tunes ever written. 

And I still have $8 left to find other one-ers. I can't wait.

Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2011 at 00:39
Long, long, long, long for the good old daysCry, when $42 could get you a great set of used albums $2.00 for single LPs,  $3.00 for a double. Big smile  About 20 albums or so for the same price.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2011 at 00:51
Slarti, I hear ya. That said, 6 minutes of Jarrett playing Over the Rainbow is only a buck. Don't tell anyone but I'd have paid twice that. sh*t, I probably paid $0.59 for that Snoopy and the Red Baron single by The Royal Guardsmen back in the mid-60's, when the $ had real value and when, granted, I was stupid. That Soft Machine was the steal-o'-the-day however, at $3.99. Time to get up and get down with bad man Brown. I break out...bop bop bop bop...in a cold sweat ...bop bop bop bop!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2011 at 00:55
Ow.
I have no James.  But you can't have it all.

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 12 2011 at 00:58
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

MoodyRush View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2011 at 00:56
Glad to be of assistance! I do hope you warm up to Relayer though. It's possibly my favorite album of all time! Even if you don't like Gates of Delirium, To Be Over is fantastic, at least in my eyes.
Follow me down to the valley below.
Moonlight is bleeding from out of your soul.
-Lazarus
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2011 at 01:10
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Ow.
I have no James.  But you can't have it all.
Well hell no, you live down there where he routinely was involved in police chases and guns and...well, the PCP-era. In spite of his drug-fueled shortcomings, I would highly recommend early JB to anyone interested in just where funk came from.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2011 at 01:14
Originally posted by MoodyRush MoodyRush wrote:

Glad to be of assistance! I do hope you warm up to Relayer though. It's possibly my favorite album of all time! Even if you don't like Gates of Delirium, To Be Over is fantastic, at least in my eyes.

Yeah, I need to give Relayer many more listens. It'll come to me eventually, though now that I think about it Tales never really has, after nearly 40 years. I do keep trying however. 
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2011 at 06:21
Agreed, Relayer is definitely worth a bit of effort. I was revisiting Tales again just the other day and, likewise, I still find that a struggle. After a few listens Relayer really should start to make sense. Gates actually boasts some of Anderson's most accessible and genuinely profound lyrics, dealing with the senselessness of war. It's one of those pieces of music which truly tells a story; beginning, middle and end.

Good to see someone else digging Groundhogs too. I finally gave them a proper go a few months back and wondered why it had taken me so long. Cherry Red is killer.

Whilst I'm here, I might as well repeat what I and many others suggested in the original thread and urge you to dip a toe into the murky waters of Cardiacs. If you've only got enough for a track or two, maybe try the song "Big Ship" from Songs for Ships and Irons or, if you fancy something upbeat and slightly bonkers, "Come Back Clammy Lammy" from Guns. They're an acquired taste, but one well worth acquiring. There's a reason Cardiacs fans rave about them so much. Wink
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2011 at 06:36
I l,ove Soft Machine's Third and hope you enjoy it too, and I really like the Groundhogs Split too.

As for Cardiacs, this is the first song that really got me into them (still my fave from Sing to God):

And "Big Ship" was probably the next, before I got any full albums.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2011 at 15:58
Thanks, I will reserve at least $0.99 for a Cardiacs song. I'll let y'all know which one I end up with.
 Post Reply Post Reply