Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report bugs here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLanguages

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Languages
    Posted: July 02 2005 at 07:05

I know this is probably a big ask but I am sure there is a pgm around that could handle this type of thing.

It would seem to me that as this site grows and it is an international site, that people who have English as their second language may wish to write reviews in their mother tounge, simply because they can find the right phrases-words to describe what they are thinking about the album they are reviewing. This could then be translated into english for people like me who are not smart enough to learn their language and they can show it to their friends in their own country who may not have a very good grasp of english.

Now obvious choices for this to start with would be spanish, french, german, italian, bahasa indonesian and then build it from there.

Now if it is practically impossible to do this so be it, it is after all only a suggestion, but with this global village thing we have with the internet it would be good if we could have translations for reviews in that way (I know more work and probable expense and who's gonna do it) but, it might even help some of us to learn some basics with foreign languages, don't you think.
Eternity
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2005 at 09:07

It would be a huge, probably unmanagable task. Somehow like the race betweeen Achilles and the tortoise. By the time someone would have translated the whole bunch of messages up to a certain date a new bunch of messages would have arrived.
Ok, the standards for translation would not have to be as high as the standards for translating books; the translator would not have to rack his or her brain just to find a similar expression for the translation of an idiomatic phrase, it would be enough to convey the meaning. Nevertheless, even though a rough translation can be written just like this by a trained translator, without much thinking required, the sheer amount of messages certainly would eat into the translator's spare time.
Why do I expound on this? Because I would be an obvious candidate for German/English translations and vice versa; I used to translate on a professional basis for over 4 years.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply