Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBands with Violinists?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 10:12
I wickedly stole this from Wicki while trying to find the spelling for Ed Alleyne-Johnson and he was top of the list. Bizarrely, he has no entry in his own right in Wicki (it must be as the result of vandalism). He gets a very full sound from the electric violin. Apparently, he was with a band called New Model Army, whom I know nothing about. 

Edited by Big Ears - November 21 2011 at 10:17
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 10:18
Gåte

Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 10:38
Swedish folk rockers Garmarna,

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 10:40
Alexander Rybak Tongue

nah just kidding
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 10:42
Quella Vecchia Locanda is superb.  Both of their albums featured a very skilled violinist.  Many samples on YT if you're interested in hearing them.

Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 13:32
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

Alexander Rybak Tongue

nah just kidding

Should we add him here on PA? Approve

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 14:30
There is only 1 band.

Kansas.

That is all.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 14:51
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Quella Vecchia Locanda is superb.  Both of their albums featured a very skilled violinist.  Many samples on YT if you're interested in hearing them.

This guy obviously knows what he's talking about.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 20:58
Gentle Giant had some good tunes with violins ("Funny Ways", "Black Cat", "Peel The Paint", "Dog's Life").
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Lewa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2011 at 07:02

Hi, if you want want more old- prog (60/70s), I second Quella Vecchia Locanda.

There's also Dave Arbus from East of Eden. I'd recommend Mercator Projected, their fist album. It spans a lot of styles from an classical-inspired (Communion) to Jazz-Rock (Stable Of The Sphinx). The whole album has violin throughout.
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2011 at 09:19
Jean-Luc Ponty is a pretty gnarly violinist, and Spirogrya is good too if you enjoy the more folk side of prog.
mrweiner View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2011 at 17:56
I'm workin my way through stuff slowly but surely. Been really busy the past frew days so I haven't gotten to hear too much. So far from what I've listened to, Älgarnes Trädgård, Amon Düül ll, and Quella Vecchia Locandaare all very interesting listens. It's gonna take me forever to get through this list, but thanks again for all of the suggestions. Obviously, as always, Mahavishnu and Gentle Giant are great as is Kansas.

Keep 'em comin! I hope other people are enjoying the input here as much as I am.

Cheers!
Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2011 at 18:11

Edited by Slaughternalia - November 22 2011 at 18:12
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2011 at 20:38

Hi,

Nice thread ...

But while it is very nice to hear these things, and how different people can be, maybe you will see the one thing that will help you the most ... what made these people was not the music per se, but their very special chance at creating something and working themselves into it.

So, in essence, the secret is ... YOU ... when it comes to "making it" and separating yourself from the masses that also play a violin.

I like to blow my ear wax off in a while and here is my favorite list of things to play back to back, and they all have a violin going crazy and then some ...

- Curved Air - Vivaldi with Cannons - 1st album
- String Driven Thing - Tympany for the Devil ( I think it was also done before with McKendree Spring with same violinist)
- Esperanto - Dance Macabre
- Curved Air - Vivaldi with Cannons - Live
- Amon Duul 2 - Apocaliptyc Bore (massive violin guitar duet -- which they also did many other times flat out crazy)
- Darryl Way's Wolf - Anteros
- Peter Hammill - Cat's Eye / Yellow Fever
- Roxy Music - Out of the Blue - (this is Eddie Jobson, who also played keyboards)
- Curved Air - Moonshine (title cut)
- Caravan - "L' Auberge du Sanglier/ A Hunting We Shall Go/Pengola/Backwards/A Hunting We Shall Go (reprise)"  (For Girls)
- Jefferson Airplane - Have You Seen the Saucers (Papa John Creech)
- Jefferson Airplane - Ride the Tiger  (also Papa)
- Hawkwind - "The Psychedelic Warlords (Disappear in Smoke)" – "Wind of Change"  (Simon House)
- Anekdotten - First album
- Par Lindh Project - any album with Magdalena ... she's was way better than he was!
- It's a Beautiful Day - White Bird 

After that I can put myself to sleep. Must be long cuts and be vibrant and explode in your speakers out loud, or it's not worth beans! Smile

Ooopppsss ... and no, I did not forget Doug Kershaw, Charlie Daniels and that one guy here in Portland that played with "Group du Jour" that was a magnificent mix of Tull and KC with a violin, and he played flute when he needed a break, or vice versa! Charlie Daniels probably can outplay more than two thirds of these folks listed in PA ...  and you know what he would say ... you want what? ...

I was pretty sure that I also saw Robin Williamson (Incredible String Band and solo) also play violin, but it might be better said that there isn't an instrument in the face of the earth that Robin can't play!

Edited by moshkito - November 22 2011 at 20:51
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2011 at 21:05

BUBU

mrweiner View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2011 at 22:11
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Nice thread ...

But while it is very nice to hear these things, and how different people can be, maybe you will see the one thing that will help you the most ... what made these people was not the music per se, but their very special chance at creating something and working themselves into it.

So, in essence, the secret is ... YOU ... when it comes to "making it" and separating yourself from the masses that also play a violin.

Well said! Yeah I definitely understand that. However, throughout my musical career I've never really been the best at listening to people who are masters in their own right, and internalizing what they do. That's something that I want to work toward now. In my opinion, the best way to create something new and exciting is to understand those who came before you. Whether you imitate, transform, or completely disregard what they did is another issue altogether, but it is a decision that can only be made and understood after extensive listening.
If you check out my band I'll love you forever.

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been."
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2011 at 16:04
Originally posted by mrweiner mrweiner wrote:

Well said! Yeah I definitely understand that. However, throughout my musical career I've never really been the best at listening to people who are masters in their own right, and internalizing what they do. That's something that I want to work toward now.

The one thing a teacher can NOT help you with is ... what it takes to "be" that master. The academic view is that you play notes better than anyone else, which is not necessarily true ... because then you get the new "wave" and they do things different and they become the new "master".

What helps me, is learning and reading about how they thought and worked with others and the best scene to take a look at, and see what they did, is the French scene from the 30's to the 60's which is magnificently documented by all of them, something that rock music thinks they can do strictly by sales and "Number 1's".

In the end, you will find only one thing ... it's about how YOU express yourself, and the day that your instrument "turns over" and it becomes just an extension of your hand, or arm, you know that you are a "master" ...

From an stage/acting perspective, I will tell you what is very good for an exercise ... I used to take one set of lines and have the actor say it ... with hate ... now say it with love ... like say it like you don't care ... now say it like you don't give a $hit ... and so on ... create as many of these as possible .... it's still the same music, but HOW you express it all of a sudden is the difference, and one almost would say ... wow ... it's a totally different piece of music expressed this way, or that way.

The next thing that happens once you learn this a bit, which is a fun exercise (you should always do this with vacuum cleaners and brooms and such with folks around you!), is that one day you create a piece of music ... and you have the notes written down ... then you go play them ... and you change the notes, because this is the way you want to play them and express your piece ... and now you know what the :heavy" and the "good" ones are all about ... the music is "seconday" (so to speak) and you concern yourself with HOW to bring it off.

This, of course, is the part that English instructors in college hate about Theater people and love to say that theater and film doesn't know anything about Iambic Pentameter or poetry ... and of course, the theater folks flick the finger and say ... yeah ... you wrote history and the laws of man, and the Bible!

Originally posted by mrweiner mrweiner wrote:

In my opinion, the best way to create something new and exciting is to understand those who came before you.

That should, probably, be a "maybe", because there are times that ... there is no understanding, as the "source" of that "doing" is not in the area of the "mind" or "thinking" ... and this is where improvisation and intuition take a massive hit in almost all music. It does wayyyyyyyyyyy better in literature and art, than it does in music. But, sometimes the hard price one pays for that individuality is ... difficult.

For an example, read the post I have on Patti Smith's book and the comments around it. That is called, a very poetic quotidian study of the time and place that created something ... and again, we have to stop with the ideas, to allow it to flow before we can even find what the whole thing is about ... which might never be visible anyway.

This is the hard part, and why I always say, the answer is inside of YOU, and your relationship to the "moment" ... not even the music at all ... which, of course, is a set of terms that some music instructors and musicians themselves don't like ... and immediately get defensive and state ... you can't do that, and in the end, that is simply a perceptual limitation on the player's part and has NOTHING to do with the composer or the teacher, other than ideas.

Also remember that some teachers just want the attention so they can get more students, and I'm ok with that if their interest and love is the kids themselves, otherwise get another teacher, in my book!

Edited by moshkito - November 23 2011 at 16:15
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2011 at 21:47
Some of my favorite string players:

Beat Circus (Paran Amirinazari)

After Crying (Zsolt Maroevich - viola, Péter Pejtsik - cello)

the Decemberists (Petra Haden - violin, Nate Query - upright bass)

Rasputina (Melora Creager - cello)

Comus (Colin Pearson)

Pearls Before Swine (Buddy Spicher - violin, viola, cello)

Godspeed You! Black Emperor (Sophie Trudeau - violin, Norsola Johnson - cello, Thierry Amar - string bass)

and this guy of course Wink

and just for fun from the non-proggy list Tongue

Amy LaVere (upright bass)

Val Stoecklein (acoustic 12-string with studio orchestra)

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2011 at 23:31
Check out some of Don 'Sugarcane' Harris's work with Frank Zappa: "Gumbo Variations", "Directly From my Heart to You", "Little House I Used to Live In", "Sharleena" ("Lost Episodes" version), "50/50", etc. He had an extremely dirty, bluesy sound on those tracks that is very unique and very different from Jean-luc Ponty's.
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2011 at 06:34
this is a good place to start: http://deliciousagony.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=3768 I would also recommend the excellent Pochakaite Malko, Bubu and Steve Unruh (and his group Resistor) + RtF with Ponty is quite amazing!
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>