Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMaybe Progarchives needs a 6th star!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maybe Progarchives needs a 6th star!
    Posted: July 02 2005 at 12:01

Well, I have not listened to every cd reviewd with 5 stars here in progarchives, but I´m sure that not all those deserves to be call MASTERPIECE.

What is needed here?:  

1) A 6th star to Real Masterpeices

2) Redefine the meaning of each star.... Maybe 4 stars would be I really love this album and I recomed (or command) to every one to buy it   and 5 stars MASTERPIECE

I don´t now what do you think, but from my point of view the website did a nice job changing the algorithm to rank the top 100 albums, so, I think that they need to work on this topic too, and it will help to everyone to find the reviews and rankings more helpfull.

If it is left beside then a Britney feat Michael Bolton album arranged by Alan Parsons could be ranked as a Masterpiece and just for the arrangments.

Thats no fare to real Masterpieces!

Suggestions?

I´ve been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure dilusions
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2005 at 12:03

That would be pointless. As soon as there is a 6th star, people would rate their favorite albums 6 stars.

But it's not important anyway ... the average rating is more important, and there are very few albums with 5 stars average rating ...

Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2005 at 12:06
The problem is, most people don't review what they like harsh enough.  I have two albums in my collection that I'd give that 5th (or 6th ) star.  I've got hundreds of albums, and there are only a handful that I don't enjoy...  but among the hundreds, there are only *two* I would give the perfect score.  (TFK's Unfold The Future and Pain Of Salvation's Remedy Lane, for the record)

We need to redefine the system, really...  where 1 star is just bad, 2 stars is flawed, but fans will still love it, 3 stars is still a worthy prog purchase, an "average" for good prog, 4 is love-it-it's-really-damn-good, and 5 stars is flawless.  Or switch to a 10-star scale.  Or something.    But I agree, far too often do people think "Now I really fancy that album, even listen to it once a month or so...  five stars!"

Edited by Man Overboard
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2005 at 12:16

Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

The problem is, most people don't review what they like harsh enough.  I have two albums in my collection that I'd give that 5th (or 6th ) star.  I've got hundreds of albums, and there are only a handful that I don't enjoy...  but among the hundreds, there are only *two* I would give the perfect score.  (TFK's Unfold The Future and Pain Of Salvation's Remedy Lane, for the record)

We need to redefine the system, really...  where 1 star is just bad, 2 stars is flawed, but fans will still love it, 3 stars is still a worthy prog purchase, an "average" for good prog, 4 is love-it-it's-really-damn-good, and 5 stars is flawless.  Or switch to a 10-star scale.  Or something.    But I agree, far too often do people think "Now I really fancy that album, even listen to it once a month or so...  five stars!"

Isn't the rating defined that way? People just don't realise that 3 stars actually means "good", not "mediocre". I admit that I've written some 5 star reviews ... maybe those were 4.5 star reviews really ... if you define 5 stars as "1 out of hundreds of albums", I think that we really need more stars.

It really depends on the definition, you can either say "4 stars are very good albums, 5 stars are exceptional (essential) albums and masterpieces", or "4 stars are very good and exceptional (essential) albums, and 5 stars is masterpieces".

I guess we really need 4.5 stars to appropriately rate essential albums that are a little short of being absolute masterpieces.

Josmatrovic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2005 at 12:23

Yes, I think that 4.5 stars is needed too.

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

Isn't the rating defined that way? People just don't realise that 3 stars actually means "good", not "mediocre". I admit that I've written some 5 star reviews ... maybe those were 4.5 star reviews really ... if you define 5 stars as "1 out of hundreds of albums", I think that we really need more stars.

It really depends on the definition, you can either say "4 stars are very good albums, 5 stars are exceptional (essential) albums and masterpieces", or "4 stars are very good and exceptional (essential) albums, and 5 stars is masterpieces".

I guess we really need 4.5 stars to appropriately rate essential albums that are a little short of being absolute masterpieces.

I´ve been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure dilusions
Retrovertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2005 at 12:34
I think that half-stars would be great, and I think the wording should be different.  Collectors/Fans only?
Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2005 at 12:38
So what's the difference between a masterpiece and a real masterpiece?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2005 at 12:40

Originally posted by Arsillus Arsillus wrote:

So what's the difference between a masterpiece and a real masterpiece?

You didn't read my post:

4 stars: very good
4.5 stars: very good, ESSENTIAL
5 stars: masterpiece

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2005 at 12:53

My suggestion for this would be the following.

reviewers rate between 0 till 5 stars.

where
5 stars means a masterpiece within the subgenre.
4 stars means a very good album
3 stars means a good album
2 stars means not good, only for fans
1 star   means bad album
0 stars means a disgrace to music

then there is the sixth star, which can't be aworded individually, but is calculated with a simple formula, where the result amounts to a percentage of 6 star quality.

The 10 highest ratings, and the 10 lowest ratings are neglected, and the rest of the ratings are averaged, and multiplied with 20. an extra condition can be a minimum of 50 ratings (arbitrary, maybe 100 ratings will be more apropriate)

excample.

YES Close to the Edge ratings (198 entries)

Essential: a masterpiece of progressive music (83%) (163 ratings)
Excellent addition to any prog music collection (9%) (17 ratings)
Good, but non-essential (4%) (8 ratings)
Collectors/fans only (2%) (4 ratings)
Poor. Only for completionists (3%) (6 ratings)

top 10 ratings, and bottom 10 ratings are substracted,

so we'll have

5 stars = 153  =      765
4 stars = 17    =       68
3 stars = 8      =       24
2 stars = 0
1 stars = 0

average is 857/178 = 4,81 * 20 = 96% 6 star equivalent.

so it's almost certainly regarded by the majority as a masterpiece.

More disputed albums, will have a wider spread of ratings, and have a lower score.

I like this idea

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2005 at 13:11
I think there's more to being a 5 star album than flawlessness. What about flawed albums that are so daring, original and mostly brilliant that to award less than five stars would be belittling the creativeness and achievement of the work? CTTE for example has the lacklustre Siberian Khatru slapped on at the end but to award it anything less than 5 stars would be just plain wrong IMHO.
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2005 at 13:45

Question

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2005 at 13:46
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Question

Darn, mine only goes to ten, I want to play music at volume 11 too

the fact that there is no picture, proofs that amplifiers that go to eleven do not excist in this universe

hey picture is back again, parallel universe

Edited by tuxon
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Poxx View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2005 at 13:50

Half stars? Stupid babble. A 0-10 scale would be the correct way to go. The 1-5 scale is way too narrow to allow for any accurate rating, especially in prog rock.

That said, the main problem is that most people do not rate albums properly, like I do. You have to remain completely objective, because if you give a flawed album the best rating, the same rating awarded to an album that is flawless, will be rendered meaningless.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2005 at 14:56
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Question

Spinal Tap invented that ... great joke!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2005 at 14:59
Originally posted by Poxx Poxx wrote:

Half stars? Stupid babble. A 0-10 scale would be the correct way to go. The 1-5 scale is way too narrow to allow for any accurate rating, especially in prog rock.

That said, the main problem is that most people do not rate albums properly, like I do. You have to remain completely objective, because if you give a flawed album the best rating, the same rating awarded to an album that is flawless, will be rendered meaningless.

half stars 0-5 and stars 0-10 is the same ...

Objectivity is an illusion ... determining if an album is flawed or not is totally subjective. Complete flawlessness is an illusion, too.

Like above, I'd like to mention CttE ... it is very much flawed by today's standards, but a masterpiece nonetheless.

aegis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 14:28
If you introduce half-stars or 0-10, what about existing reviews? Could reviewers go in and change their 5 to a 4.5?
Listening to: Gentle Giant - Power and the Glory
Borealis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2005 at 13:31

A sixth star? Please, do not give the progmetal fanboys even more weapons...

Vive le Québec libre!...
cobb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2005 at 04:30
Keep It Simple Stupid - no derision implied.

I imagine changing the current algorithm would be a nightmare in itself.

The current rating system works well - it is just that most don't seem to take note of what the rating system is based on. Not whether you like it or not, but how it fairs as progressive music. This in itself means that all reviews for non-progressive music shouldn't have a rating at all (doesn't it?)
 Post Reply Post Reply