15 [55.56%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2011 at 22:50
Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

BTW, I didn't mean to single out alternative rock. I listen to some bands. I just don't know why alt. rock bands, classic rock bands and heavy metal bands are on the Progarchives??

They aren't. Dredg are a prog band. El Cielo is a prog album. This has been discussed to death.Dead
Prog doesn't have to mean symphonic prog. That's a very narrow minded understanding of the concept.
If Ritual is so progressive, why do they just rehash the ideas that were done to death 40 years ago, and done better?

Approve Agreed.

Prog fans who find new bands that incorporate new sounds to the prog circles, non-prog, while they keep on listening to retro-ish bands that what they most do is imitate the 70s classics.

I don't have a problem with the retro style, some I even like, but those who have a rather alt. rock sound in comparison, sound way better to me and fresher in prog terms.

BTW: I'm not a Dredg fan.

Edited by The Quiet One - November 27 2011 at 22:52
Proggernaut View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2011 at 02:08
^ that is good posting!
Proggernaut (Noun) - one who is exploring the endlessly expanding universe of progressive music.
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2011 at 04:58
Ritual is IMO totally not the case of regressive retro bands (as Unitopia, Glass Hammer, Phideaux even some Swedish bands which incline to this tedium as Kaipa or The Flower Kings etc.)
On 'Hemulic Voluntary Band' they are clearly influenced by Gentle Giant, maybe by Gryphon or Yes/Beatles when it comes to melodic sense. It's not a bad thing, because they still bring totally fresh music, into which they are able incorporate alternative/modern elements to their folk-prog roots (check out their 'Think Like a Mountain' album). 
They are looking for new sound, experiment. From this point of view they remind rather bands like Pain of Salvation or Porcupine Tree. The swedish folk atmosphere and palette of their instruments makes is it very distintive, with the help of amazing voice, and mainly - original compositional approach, top-notch musicianship. Their music is pure joy as well as emotional experience. 

Dregd is is not bad, great musicians as well, however their alternative/indie/post sound makes their music more generic.

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2011 at 08:58
Ritual
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2011 at 10:34
Originally posted by stewe stewe wrote:

Ritual is IMO totally not the case of regressive retro bands (as Unitopia, Glass Hammer, Phideaux even some Swedish bands which incline to this tedium as Kaipa or The Flower Kings etc.)
On 'Hemulic Voluntary Band' they are clearly influenced by Gentle Giant, maybe by Gryphon or Yes/Beatles when it comes to melodic sense. It's not a bad thing, because they still bring totally fresh music, into which they are able incorporate alternative/modern elements to their folk-prog roots (check out their 'Think Like a Mountain' album). 
They are looking for new sound, experiment. From this point of view they remind rather bands like Pain of Salvation or Porcupine Tree. The swedish folk atmosphere and palette of their instruments makes is it very distintive, with the help of amazing voice, and mainly - original compositional approach, top-notch musicianship. Their music is pure joy as well as emotional experience. 

Dregd is is not bad, great musicians as well, however their alternative/indie/post sound makes their music more generic.

No it doesn't. If you went into the same depth as you did with THVB you could make just as good a case for Dredg.
How much have you actually listened to Dredg? They might surprise you if you just open your mind a tad.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12