Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShort Wave for Canterbury / JR/F

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short Wave for Canterbury / JR/F
    Posted: November 28 2011 at 15:56
I was a little surprised not to see this short lived band on here. Short Wave consisting of Hugh Hopper  (bass), Didier Malherbe (sax), Phil Miller (guitar) and Pip Pyle (drums) came together in 1991 to perform at a jazz festival as a one off, and kept going until at least 1994. In 1993 they released their one and only album; Short Wave Live. As this band was only meant to last for one gig and looked liked it may become something more permanent, Pip Pyle joked at the time that the name may need changing to Long Wave.

Short Wave Live was released on Voiceprint, containing material from concerts in England, 1991 and France, 1992 with the following track listing;

1. "The Fox" (Miller)
  2. "Saiseyes" (Pyle)
  3. "Frankly Speaking" (Hopper)
  4. "The Balladin" (Pyle)
  5. "2 P.M." (Hopper)
  6. "Partout" (Hopper)
  7. "Midnight Judo" (Hopper)
  8. "Shuffle Demons" (Hopper)
  9. "Nan True's Hole" (Miller)
  10. "VZG" (Malherbe)
  11. "Et Alors..." (Malherbe)

The music is jazz rock with a Canterbury sound, and could fit into either the Canterbury or Jazz Rock/Fusion sub-genres. Given the history of the band members, Canterbury would seem a more suitable fit.

Some of the tracks can be sampled on You Tube (links below). If anyone can find any other links to the tracks, please feel free to post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzh1F_nhFls (Shuffle Demons and Nan True's Hole)

All the best.

Edited by Bosh66 - February 29 2012 at 10:25
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2011 at 12:33
Good find, I'll notify the Canterbury team. 
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2011 at 12:53
Cheers harmonium. Much appreciated.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2011 at 13:12
Oops! I was just about to suggest that  this was purely a Jazz album rather than a Jazz/Rock or Canterbury one, due to this quote from saxophonist Didier Malherbe in an interview he did for allaboutjazz.com: http://www.allaboutjazz.com/iviews/dmalherbe.htm

AAJ: "And what about your work with Hugh Hopper, Pip Pyle and Phil Miller?"

DM: "OK You mean Short Wave (CD released on Gemini 1993). Yes it was a very nice group. We toured a lot in Europe and Japan, but in the end it was too difficult with people living in England and France. But its true its one of my best recordings of straight jazz. I really like it. Its a record that might be reissued by Voiceprint. When Gong played the 25th Anniversary party in 1994 Short Wave also played there and this concert should also be released soon on Voiceprint."

It's a great live album, with some mighty fine musicians on it who were also associated with several bands who definitely were more rock oriented, so maybe it does deserve a place on here despite the strong jazz content.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2011 at 13:15
^ I thought the same, but there are so little suggestions for Canterbury that I felt it's worth checking out by the team anyway. Tongue
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2011 at 13:35
Certainly jazz rock, Yam Yam. There sounded little "straight jazz" about it to me, although the sound is certainly more Soft Machine 6 than 1. . Some sites such as Calyx http://calyx.perso.neuf.fr/cantdisco/index.html do have the album listed.

NME, that well know champion of prog has the following;
''Short Wave Live is the only album by Short Wave, a UK band related to the Canterbury Scene, consisting of Hugh Hopper (bass),...Tags: Short Wave , Prog Rock, Canterbury Scene

And as do numerous other sites, except of course our own PA!

There's a nice review of the album here: http://homepages.3-c.coop/facelift/facelift/issue%2011.html

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2011 at 19:55
We all have different ways of interpreting the music we are presented with. I am relatively new to this fascinating world of genres and subgenres, having only really come to learn of the existence of so many of them since joining progarchives. However, I am well into my 6th decade of listening to music (of all kinds, not just prog rock, though that has to be my favourite, I guess) and to a musical layman such as myself, who has never played an instrument other than a brief dabble on the piano in my late teens and early twenties, this sounded very much like what I had previously understood to be jazz, with many of the melody lines being played by brass & woodwind instruments rather than a guitar. I was unsure though, so I looked elsewhere for guidance before posting. When I found a comment by a guy who actually played on the recording saying it was one of the best straight jazz ones he had done, I thought I was on fairly safe ground.
I don't actually know who is right here, my knowledge & experience in judging such matters is insufficient - but I enjoyed the music enormously, so a big 'thanks' from me for posting the suggestion here. Thumbs Up 
Ultimately the progarchives collaborators will decide whether or not this fine bunch of musicians has their album added to the site, and where exactly it goes if it does. If they do ultimately decide that it satisfies the criteria to be added, then irrespective of where it ends up, I for one will certainly not be screaming out in protest.

There are others here who fret that the site has become too 'diluted' with entries that are not true prog rock over recent years, & we have to try to do our best to keep everyone happy - & that is the only reason I raised the point I did.

The album is already listed on our sister site jazzmusicarchives.com: http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/pip-pyle--short-wave-live(live).aspx, in the Classic Fusion sub genre, which includes bands like Soft Machine and Weather Report, so I guess this in itself stands them in good stead for inclusion here too.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2011 at 01:58
Thanks yam yam. I hope I didn't come across as too defensive - that wasn't the intention, nor to downplay your expertise. I certainly don't judge submissions correctly every time and am happy to be knocked back as I also have concerns over some of the inclusions here. That said, there's plenty of scorching guitar work on the album (I've not ticked back to the samples I found on you tube) and if you compare to the likes of mid period Soft Machine, Weather Report, Zawinal, Hancock (all artists I really like), Short Wave is rockier.
As you said, we'll leave it to the collabs, who knowing my luck will laugh the suggestion out of town LOL
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 11:06
Sorry to sound impatient - I'm honestly not. Just checking this was picked up by the Canterbury or Jazz Rock / Fusion team?

Ta Smile

Edited by Bosh66 - February 29 2012 at 10:26
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 10:28
Bump!!
Only want o know whether someone is looking at this?
Thanks!
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 11:25
Hmmm. Nowt happening with this, methinks! 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 11:43
it was mentioned to the Canterbury scene team.  A problem seems to be that the youtube account of the person who put those videos up was terminated for copyright infringement, which would render evaluation difficult.  Sufficient music should be made available to evaluate, and actually, I don't know who the active members of the Canterbury Scene team are. You could try PMing Alucard.

Edited by Logan - May 09 2012 at 11:44
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 02:21
Thanks Logan. I guess I could burn a copy of my legally bought CD to send to someone for evaluation (so long as they promised to destroy it afterwards of course!) or upload some MP3s? I'll also PM Alucard as you suggest.
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 05:39
In terms of Canterbury politics we have so far  included most side/solo projects of Canterbury musicians, especially if they are related to the inner circle like Hopper, Dean,  Pyle, Miler etc Some of these projects/records have not always the "typical" Canterbury sound, but are interesting for historical reasons. Hence I would file Short Wave under Canterbury.
PS I would be interested to have a file of the record.

Edited by Alucard - May 11 2012 at 05:40
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 06:58
Thanks Alucard. If you pm me an address, I'll send you something this weekend.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 02:13
Any thoughts / feedback Alucard?
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2012 at 21:57
I've bumped the suggestion in the Canterbury thread. 
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2012 at 02:24
Thanks Andy, much appreciated.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 14:02
Hate to do this, but even without listening the album should be filed under Canterbury due to the personnel involved in the project.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 02:19
And Padraic, I'm happy to extend the service given to Alucard and rip you a copy for evaluation purposes if you want. You'll need to PM me your address if you're interested.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>